You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Which Review Do You Have the Most Beef With?

View Poll Results: What Review Do You Have the Most Beef With?
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror (2 out of 5) 19 35.85%
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (2 out of 5) 8 15.09%
King's Quest 8: Mask Of Eternity (2 1/2 out of 5) 1 1.89%
Normality (2 1/2 out of 5) 0 0%
Phantasmagoria (1 1/2 out of 5) 4 7.55%
Toonstruck (2 1/2 out of 5) 5 9.43%
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (2 1/2 out of 5) 3 5.66%
Other (Please State) 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #61
pain is love

I'll back you up, I enjoyed Dott a lot, it was just sooooo good
On the other hand, I don't really get The Dig. It was OK, but it's probably the least interesting LA adventure I have ever played. Way too average...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 03-14-2005, 11:49 PM   #62
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

Maybe he's just not a fan of wonderful games, or maybe a truck full of DOTT boxes ran over his dog and his had a grudge ever since?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I'll back you up, I enjoyed Dott a lot, it was just sooooo good
On the other hand, I don't really get The Dig. It was OK, but it's probably the least interesting LA adventure I have ever played. Way too average...
I don't think it's hard to like The Dig and not DOTT, one just has to prefer serious adventures.
I think I like The Dig better myself, even though I have to admit that gameplay wise, DOTT is much better. But since they're really both masterpieces, who cares?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #64
Banned User

Marek wrote:

I actually agree. I recently put an editor's note in the TLJ review and bumped its score down to 4.5. (the TLJ review was written by me, so I can do that sort of thing ... I'd never do this with someone's else review of course).
Preparing the way for the five-star review of Dreamfall?

P.S. Nothing to do with the topic, but I just noticed this: That is the most depressing emoticon I have ever seen! "Wink / Crying", the help text says. That is just so sad, people. The poor yellow ball half-heartedly trying to maintain a facade of joviality while breaking down in tears. I can't stand it. Cheer up, little yellow ball. Hey, I feel better already! (I also just noticed the "LOL" emoticon seems to be gone altogether.)

www.adventurecompanion.com

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 03-16-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #65
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen
P.S. Nothing to do with the topic, but I just noticed this: That is the most depressing emoticon I have ever seen! "Wink / Crying", the help text says. That is just so sad, people. The poor yellow ball half-heartedly trying to maintain a facade of joviality while breaking down in tears.
I agree, he does look pretty sad. Kinda like the tears of a clown...

Old 03-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #66
merely human

I should have warned Simo not to stare at that smiley too long.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-17-2005, 05:16 AM   #67
Banned User

But that wouldn't have stopped the smiley from staring at me.

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 03-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #68

Well I agree. DOTT is not a good game. I hated the characters.
What i really don't understand is why CMI only got 3,5. It's one of the best comedybased adventuregames ever.

Sorry if my english is a little rusty
Old 03-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #69
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenuf
What i really don't understand is why CMI only got 3,5. It's one of the best comedybased adventuregames ever.
Read the review, and maybe you'll find out.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 PM   #70
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Read the review, and maybe you'll find out.
But then EMI get's 4/5
Old 03-18-2005, 04:00 AM   #71
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

The BASS review I just read. I agree with the overall score and most of the review, but I just cannot understand bashing it's music :O The only adventure game to best BASS in music is Grim Fandango (did I read someone critisized it's music - insanity!). I also liked BASS's virtual reality bits and how you had to come back with different IDs and stuff. It was fun and innovative.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:48 AM   #72
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenuf
I think I agree with Tuffenuf here. Even though the game is shorter than the other MI games, I felt like the quality was as consistently good as I've seen in any adventure game. The game is intensely funny and entertaining from start to finish. I don't necessarily think that length of a game should affect the rating of the game too much unless the game is ridiculously short. Quality should be the main factor for rating. I'm used to beating adventure games quickly and beating a game in a couple days doesn't take away from the experience I have while playing it.

Also, from reading the review, one of the main beefs the reviewer seems to have with the game rests on her wish to see more of the old characters incorporated into the new game (IE Wally, Voodoo Priestess, etc). However, in my opinion, the choice of having these old characters present in the game through cameos instead of developing them further, does not amount to an overall lack of depth in characterization. Characters like Murray, Haggis McMutton, or the Goodsoup family are as well drawn as any characters in the MI series, and provide the game with intrigue and humor to move the MI world in a new direction.

One thing I do agree with the reviewer on is the chopped off ending. However, aside from this flaw, I like CMI the best in the MI series. The graphics are still stunning 8 years after the release, Murray is one of the most humorous adventure game characters ever created, and the game DOES have that extra sparkle (IMHO) to make it a classic.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #73
Lost.

While I agree that CMI is my favorite Adventure Game and I think it deserves a higher score, a 3 1/2 out of 5 is not a failing grade so I personally have no problems with the person's review.

I have to choose Toonstruck's 2 1/5. That is just such a cruel grade, like rubbing salt into the wound considering the game bombed anyway. (And I believe the exact same review is also available on justadventure.com) The reviewer clearly stated that the comedy was "Poorly timed" but I couldn't disagree more. I recently replayed it, and I laughed at almost everything that came out of Drew and Flux's mouths. I guess some people don't appreciate sarcastic satire, but that's certainly not much of a reason to deduct so many points. I would at least give it a 4 or a 4 1/2, only for some odd animation sequences and unfinished plot.