You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback To the Man With the Pot of Updates - "Can I have suh-more?"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Banned User

Default To the Man With the Pot of Updates - "Can I have suh-more?"

So I know this site isn't as huge or well funded as sites like IGN and the like, but can't we get some more updates? I don't even mean every day. Every other day would do just fine. Is it that there is just not enough going on in the adventure gaming market to talk about every other day? There are 49849384 adventure games out there that haven't been reviewed yet. How many people do you have working at this site? Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to turn this from an all adventure gaming website, to an action/adventure gaming website. Not only would it increase your ad's and readership, but the site would also get updated a lot faster. From what I can tell, a lot of people who love adventure games also love action games like Prince of Persia and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine/Emperor's Tomb. Just a thought, because I really like the work this site puts out, I just wish there was more of it!
Old 02-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

It's not really a matter of funding. All of our writers and staff do this in their spare time, and people just have stuff to do.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
It's not really a matter of funding. All of our writers and staff do this in their spare time, and people just have stuff to do.
Well when will there be a movement from "Hobby Site" to a full on professional game site?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Just a thought, because I really like the work this site puts out, I just wish there was more of it!
Thank you! That's music to my ears.

I can't speak for Jack (and I think he's left to go out of town for the weekend) but I think the goal is to put up a new article about every 3 days... and but for a few exceptions, this is usually how it happens. News updates are more frequent, and they tend to be little articles themselves most of the time.

Believe me, if we were able to churn them out any faster (without losing quality), we would. I, personally, am actively working on 3 articles at the moment, with several others coming up on the horizon. There just aren't enough hours in the day! And creating quality content does take time.

Here is the staff list. Not all the staff members are active on the forums, but there are quite a few people who work together very hard behind the scenes to make this site what it is.

I'm not sure how changing the focus to action/adventure (which we're not going to do!) would make it easier to update the site more often. The frequency with which the site is updated has nothing to do with our focus on adventure games... as you said, even if there weren't new games to cover (which there are), there are still tons of old adventures to review. It's not like there's ever a "slow news day" around here.

emily

ps To answer your last question, I think if this site were to move from "hobby" to "full on professional site," it would lose a lot of the charm that makes it so great in the first place.

Last edited by fov; 02-24-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

Quote:
To answer your last question, I think if this site were to move from "hobby" to "full on professional site," it would lose a lot of the charm that makes it so great in the first place.
I agree totally, Emily

The frequency of site updates for me is fine, and I have not one issue with this site.

Keep it the way it is, its brilliant

AF

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
Banned User

Whatever!

Old 02-25-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Citizen of Bizarro World

I wish underground news and features were more frequent. And I wish underground games got reviewed on a star scale, like all the other games! And I wish for peace in the world, and goodwill towards men!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 02-25-2005, 01:54 AM   #8
Puts the 'e' in Mark

We do have some commercial elements, but I'm definitely content with AG staying mainly a "hobby site". Of course, that doesn't say anything about our level of professionalism (which I think exceeds many commercial sites). It just means that we're fully community driven which, I think, is a major strength of this site.

We're going to solicit for new staff members soon by the way, so those who might have been thinking of applying ... get those pencils sharpened.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I wish underground news and features were more frequent. And I wish underground games got reviewed on a star scale, like all the other games! And I wish for peace in the world, and goodwill towards men!
Shush, you ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
We do have some commercial elements, but I'm definitely content with AG staying mainly a "hobby site". Of course, that doesn't say anything about our level of professionalism (which I think exceeds many commercial sites). It just means that we're fully community driven which, I think, is a major strength of this site.

We're going to solicit for new staff members soon by the way, so those who might have been thinking of applying ... get those pencils sharpened.
Wooo, maybe we can do an online contest like American Idol to pick the new staff members. We can do it through the forum. We will call it the AG Idol. We need to come up with a mean Brit who will say funny, nasty things about the contestant who are no good first though.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek

That's true, for a hobby site you guys do kick a lot of ass. You should double your staff, I mean, they'd all be working for free anyway, so why not? Btw, i'm AWESOME with deadlines
Old 02-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Wooo, maybe we can do an online contest like American Idol to pick the new staff members. We can do it through the forum. We will call it the AG Idol. We need to come up with a mean Brit who will say funny, nasty things about the contestant who are no good first though.

Oooh oooh - I'll be a contestant on AG Idol!!
I can say dumb things and loads of people

Plus - most people seem to think I'm a gay Pron star

And I'm a Brit, but don't me for that!!

On a serious note though - I would be more than happy to contribute .... er ....stuff......
Old 02-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Oooh oooh - I'll be a contestant on AG Idol!!
I can say dumb things and loads of people

Plus - most people seem to think I'm a gay Pron star

And I'm a Brit, but don't me for that!!

On a serious note though - I would be more than happy to contribute .... er ....stuff......
You're too scary to be an AG idol contestant. You need a major makeover before that would be feasible. I also suggest losing the mask...and perhaps some lip gloss.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin
You're too scary to be an AG idol contestant. You need a major makeover before that would be feasible. I also suggest losing the mask...and perhaps some lip gloss.

Hey - I'm a fluffy bunny now, covered in .... blood/ketchup/lipstick - I'm not sure which but I really hope it's lipstick...........mmmmm
Old 02-26-2005, 01:35 AM   #15
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Shush, you ...
I have a dream! I dream that one day, there will be more updates to the underground section! You can't stop a guy from dreaming! Unless you assasinate him like they did Martin Luther King!

And there's my token black history month tie-in. I've done my duty, history's thirst for exposure has been quenched.

And to quote an ad in Ebony, as paraphrased by Jon Stewart: "hundreds of years of slavery are similar to the pain experienced when one gets indigestion."

PS No disrispect meant, just wanted to spread the word to you guys of the lame black history month tie-ins one can run into out there! :eek:

Old 02-27-2005, 02:09 AM   #16
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless

You are the Weakest AGer. Goodbye.

(Dang, wrong mean Brit )
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-27-2005, 02:47 AM   #17
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
I have a dream! I dream that one day, there will be more updates to the underground section! You can't stop a guy from dreaming! Unless you assasinate him like they did Martin Luther King!

And there's my token black history month tie-in. I've done my duty, history's thirst for exposure has been quenched.

And to quote an ad in Ebony, as paraphrased by Jon Stewart: "hundreds of years of slavery are similar to the pain experienced when one gets indigestion."

PS No disrispect meant, just wanted to spread the word to you guys of the lame black history month tie-ins one can run into out there! :eek:
Unfortunately there really isn't all that much of interest to make news posts about in the Underground section... If we were to post for every new game that were released, the news would be filled with almost-contentless entries. As it is we only post when something interesting has happened, like an Underground developer getting mainstream attention, or an interesting article being published.

Hmm, maybe some kind of 'games released recently' ticker could work, Marek? Nothing big or intrusive, just a nice way of knowing if anything interesting has been put out in the last few weeks...

As for the stars rating, someone (Evan or Marek I guess) decided that rating Underground games like that would be... unfair to the developers who had spend so much time and effort on a labour of love (and for free, nonetheless...)
Old 02-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #18
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA

As for the stars rating, someone (Evan or Marek I guess) decided that rating Underground games like that would be... unfair to the developers who had spend so much time and effort on a labour of love (and for free, nonetheless...)
That makes sense. I was using a different line of reasoning--some of these games, graphicswise, soundwise, and storywise are on par with professional work. I was under the impression that grading them by a different standard (or not grading them at all) meant they weren't good enough to be put up there with the "pro" products. But, you put my fears to rest.

If the star scale was implemented, it's clear to me a certain favoritism would need to be shown to the UG AGs, because even though their stories/atmosphere/whatever might be excellent, the graphics often blow, so this would need to be taken into consideration.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #19
Hopeful skeptic

More??!! MORE updates??!! :eek:

As Marek said, we will be recruiting more staff in the near future. The genre does seem to be gaining momentum, and there is more to talk about than at any time in recent years past.

That said, there's way more to it than simply adding more people. Adding staff needs to mean adding value, not just filler. New content will have to maintain the same high AG standards, and that's the first and foremost consideration. Not that they're mutually exclusive, but quality or quantity, obviously we'll take the former.

Good idea to crack the whip harder on the UG guys, though.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

/me flees. Quickly.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.