To the Man With the Pot of Updates - "Can I have suh-more?" - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback To the Man With the Pot of Updates - "Can I have suh-more?"


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Banned User
 
SakSquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Paltz...for now...
Posts: 6,177
Default To the Man With the Pot of Updates - "Can I have suh-more?"

So I know this site isn't as huge or well funded as sites like IGN and the like, but can't we get some more updates? I don't even mean every day. Every other day would do just fine. Is it that there is just not enough going on in the adventure gaming market to talk about every other day? There are 49849384 adventure games out there that haven't been reviewed yet. How many people do you have working at this site? Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to turn this from an all adventure gaming website, to an action/adventure gaming website. Not only would it increase your ad's and readership, but the site would also get updated a lot faster. From what I can tell, a lot of people who love adventure games also love action games like Prince of Persia and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine/Emperor's Tomb. Just a thought, because I really like the work this site puts out, I just wish there was more of it!
SakSquash is offline  
Old 02-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin
 
tabacco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 4,087
Default

It's not really a matter of funding. All of our writers and staff do this in their spare time, and people just have stuff to do.
tabacco is offline  
Old 02-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Banned User
 
SakSquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Paltz...for now...
Posts: 6,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
It's not really a matter of funding. All of our writers and staff do this in their spare time, and people just have stuff to do.
Well when will there be a movement from "Hobby Site" to a full on professional game site?
SakSquash is offline  
Old 02-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster
 
fov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,404
Default

Quote:
Just a thought, because I really like the work this site puts out, I just wish there was more of it!
Thank you! That's music to my ears.

I can't speak for Jack (and I think he's left to go out of town for the weekend) but I think the goal is to put up a new article about every 3 days... and but for a few exceptions, this is usually how it happens. News updates are more frequent, and they tend to be little articles themselves most of the time.

Believe me, if we were able to churn them out any faster (without losing quality), we would. I, personally, am actively working on 3 articles at the moment, with several others coming up on the horizon. There just aren't enough hours in the day! And creating quality content does take time.

Here is the staff list. Not all the staff members are active on the forums, but there are quite a few people who work together very hard behind the scenes to make this site what it is.

I'm not sure how changing the focus to action/adventure (which we're not going to do!) would make it easier to update the site more often. The frequency with which the site is updated has nothing to do with our focus on adventure games... as you said, even if there weren't new games to cover (which there are), there are still tons of old adventures to review. It's not like there's ever a "slow news day" around here.

emily

ps To answer your last question, I think if this site were to move from "hobby" to "full on professional site," it would lose a lot of the charm that makes it so great in the first place.

Last edited by fov; 02-24-2005 at 04:42 PM.
fov is offline  
Old 02-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα
 
Elton28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: YORKSHIRE AN' PROUD OF IT!!
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
To answer your last question, I think if this site were to move from "hobby" to "full on professional site," it would lose a lot of the charm that makes it so great in the first place.
I agree totally, Emily

The frequency of site updates for me is fine, and I have not one issue with this site.

Keep it the way it is, its brilliant

AF
__________________
Μανολι

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Elton28 is offline  
Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
Banned User
 
SakSquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Paltz...for now...
Posts: 6,177
Default

Whatever!























SakSquash is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Citizen of Bizarro World
 
Maquisard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Htrae
Posts: 4,219
Default

I wish underground news and features were more frequent. And I wish underground games got reviewed on a star scale, like all the other games! And I wish for peace in the world, and goodwill towards men!
__________________
By no rocket’s blue shade am no shells dead down there,
Gave no proof all day long that the flag was unwhere!
No say does am spar-strangled shroud hang limply!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Maquisard is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 01:54 AM   #8
Puts the 'e' in Mark
 
Marek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,138
Default

We do have some commercial elements, but I'm definitely content with AG staying mainly a "hobby site". Of course, that doesn't say anything about our level of professionalism (which I think exceeds many commercial sites). It just means that we're fully community driven which, I think, is a major strength of this site.

We're going to solicit for new staff members soon by the way, so those who might have been thinking of applying ... get those pencils sharpened.
Marek is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #9
The Thread™ will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I wish underground news and features were more frequent. And I wish underground games got reviewed on a star scale, like all the other games! And I wish for peace in the world, and goodwill towards men!
Shush, you ...
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Thread™

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gillyruless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
We do have some commercial elements, but I'm definitely content with AG staying mainly a "hobby site". Of course, that doesn't say anything about our level of professionalism (which I think exceeds many commercial sites). It just means that we're fully community driven which, I think, is a major strength of this site.

We're going to solicit for new staff members soon by the way, so those who might have been thinking of applying ... get those pencils sharpened.
Wooo, maybe we can do an online contest like American Idol to pick the new staff members. We can do it through the forum. We will call it the AG Idol. We need to come up with a mean Brit who will say funny, nasty things about the contestant who are no good first though.



gillyruless is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
Banned User
 
SakSquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Paltz...for now...
Posts: 6,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
We do have some commercial elements, but I'm definitely content with AG staying mainly a "hobby site". Of course, that doesn't say anything about our level of professionalism (which I think exceeds many commercial sites). It just means that we're fully community driven which, I think, is a major strength of this site.

We're going to solicit for new staff members soon by the way, so those who might have been thinking of applying ... get those pencils sharpened.
That's true, for a hobby site you guys do kick a lot of ass. You should double your staff, I mean, they'd all be working for free anyway, so why not? Btw, i'm AWESOME with deadlines
SakSquash is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny
 
Manhunter71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lancaster, England
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Wooo, maybe we can do an online contest like American Idol to pick the new staff members. We can do it through the forum. We will call it the AG Idol. We need to come up with a mean Brit who will say funny, nasty things about the contestant who are no good first though.



Oooh oooh - I'll be a contestant on AG Idol!!
I can say dumb things and loads of people

Plus - most people seem to think I'm a gay Pron star

And I'm a Brit, but don't me for that!!

On a serious note though - I would be more than happy to contribute .... er ....stuff......
Manhunter71 is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
Tell me This is It
 
Terabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 538
Send a message via AIM to Terabin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Oooh oooh - I'll be a contestant on AG Idol!!
I can say dumb things and loads of people

Plus - most people seem to think I'm a gay Pron star

And I'm a Brit, but don't me for that!!

On a serious note though - I would be more than happy to contribute .... er ....stuff......
You're too scary to be an AG idol contestant. You need a major makeover before that would be feasible. I also suggest losing the mask...and perhaps some lip gloss.
Terabin is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny
 
Manhunter71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lancaster, England
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin
You're too scary to be an AG idol contestant. You need a major makeover before that would be feasible. I also suggest losing the mask...and perhaps some lip gloss.

Hey - I'm a fluffy bunny now, covered in .... blood/ketchup/lipstick - I'm not sure which but I really hope it's lipstick...........mmmmm
Manhunter71 is offline  
Old 02-26-2005, 01:35 AM   #15
Citizen of Bizarro World
 
Maquisard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Htrae
Posts: 4,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I wish underground news and features were more frequent. And I wish underground games got reviewed on a star scale, like all the other games! And I wish for peace in the world, and goodwill towards men!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Shush, you ...
I have a dream! I dream that one day, there will be more updates to the underground section! You can't stop a guy from dreaming! Unless you assasinate him like they did Martin Luther King!

And there's my token black history month tie-in. I've done my duty, history's thirst for exposure has been quenched.

And to quote an ad in Ebony, as paraphrased by Jon Stewart: "hundreds of years of slavery are similar to the pain experienced when one gets indigestion."

PS No disrispect meant, just wanted to spread the word to you guys of the lame black history month tie-ins one can run into out there! :eek:
__________________
By no rocket’s blue shade am no shells dead down there,
Gave no proof all day long that the flag was unwhere!
No say does am spar-strangled shroud hang limply!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Maquisard is offline  
Old 02-27-2005, 02:09 AM   #16
Freeware Co-ordinator
 
stepurhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South East England.
Posts: 7,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Wooo, maybe we can do an online contest like American Idol to pick the new staff members. We can do it through the forum. We will call it the AG Idol. We need to come up with a mean Brit who will say funny, nasty things about the contestant who are no good first though.



You are the Weakest AGer. Goodbye.

(Dang, wrong mean Brit )
__________________
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
stepurhan is offline  
Old 02-27-2005, 02:47 AM   #17
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado
 
AGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I have a dream! I dream that one day, there will be more updates to the underground section! You can't stop a guy from dreaming! Unless you assasinate him like they did Martin Luther King!

And there's my token black history month tie-in. I've done my duty, history's thirst for exposure has been quenched.

And to quote an ad in Ebony, as paraphrased by Jon Stewart: "hundreds of years of slavery are similar to the pain experienced when one gets indigestion."

PS No disrispect meant, just wanted to spread the word to you guys of the lame black history month tie-ins one can run into out there! :eek:
Unfortunately there really isn't all that much of interest to make news posts about in the Underground section... If we were to post for every new game that were released, the news would be filled with almost-contentless entries. As it is we only post when something interesting has happened, like an Underground developer getting mainstream attention, or an interesting article being published.

Hmm, maybe some kind of 'games released recently' ticker could work, Marek? Nothing big or intrusive, just a nice way of knowing if anything interesting has been put out in the last few weeks...

As for the stars rating, someone (Evan or Marek I guess) decided that rating Underground games like that would be... unfair to the developers who had spend so much time and effort on a labour of love (and for free, nonetheless...)
__________________
Berian Williams - [SIZE=1]Visit agagames.com for free adventure games!
AGA is offline  
Old 02-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #18
Citizen of Bizarro World
 
Maquisard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Htrae
Posts: 4,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA

As for the stars rating, someone (Evan or Marek I guess) decided that rating Underground games like that would be... unfair to the developers who had spend so much time and effort on a labour of love (and for free, nonetheless...)
That makes sense. I was using a different line of reasoning--some of these games, graphicswise, soundwise, and storywise are on par with professional work. I was under the impression that grading them by a different standard (or not grading them at all) meant they weren't good enough to be put up there with the "pro" products. But, you put my fears to rest.

If the star scale was implemented, it's clear to me a certain favoritism would need to be shown to the UG AGs, because even though their stories/atmosphere/whatever might be excellent, the graphics often blow, so this would need to be taken into consideration.
__________________
By no rocket’s blue shade am no shells dead down there,
Gave no proof all day long that the flag was unwhere!
No say does am spar-strangled shroud hang limply!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Maquisard is offline  
Old 02-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #19
Hopeful skeptic
 
Jackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,743
Default

More??!! MORE updates??!! :eek:

As Marek said, we will be recruiting more staff in the near future. The genre does seem to be gaining momentum, and there is more to talk about than at any time in recent years past.

That said, there's way more to it than simply adding more people. Adding staff needs to mean adding value, not just filler. New content will have to maintain the same high AG standards, and that's the first and foremost consideration. Not that they're mutually exclusive, but quality or quantity, obviously we'll take the former.

Good idea to crack the whip harder on the UG guys, though.
Jackal is offline  
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
The Thread™ will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

/me flees. Quickly.
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Thread™

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.