You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Hype-o-Meter Update 02/23

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Hype-o-Meter Update 02/23

Throw us a frickin' bone here!

Unless you've been living in a cave for a week or so, you're well aware that Telltale Games has announced their first adventure game, based on Jeff Smith's comic series, Bone. (Okay, not just the first game, but the first in a series of games.)

Sure, I could offer a tidy little summary of all things Telltale and Bone right here, but that would be painful for me, and agonizing for you. So instead I'll simply direct you to the game announcement and the interview with Graham Annable, Telltale's artistic director. How's THAT for hype??!

Of course, wars were fought and friendships threatened in an effort to decide Bone's place on the Hype-o-Meter (not really, but that sounds much more dramatic than what really happened). Those that know and love the comic were pitching to add a new number to the H-o-M, a #0.5 that slots in ahead of #1, and have Bone debut there. Others, of course, responded with... "who's Bone?"

So for now, Bone settles in at a perfectly respectable #7. Once the actual game starts building momentum, I suspect even those unfamiliar with Bone will start drooling over its potential.

Now... (coughBASS2 is missingcough), to make way for Bone, something had to give. That something was a game we want to see as much as anyone. But this is the Hype-o-Meter, not the Dream-o-Meter, so we've now tucked BASS2 away in the files of "though we reallyreallyREALLY want to, we'll believe it when we see it".

We've also seen #2 and #3 trade places (the games, not the numbers). Contrary to popular belief, this is NOT punishment for Fahrenheit changing its name to Indigo Prophecy, but simply reflects the increased anticipation of Still Life. With regular new screenshots, trailers, and an upcoming demo, this game definitely deserves the spotlight for a while.

Last edited by Jackal; 02-23-2005 at 07:55 AM. Reason: stinkin' typos
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

It's hard not to smile whenever I see the Hype-O-Meter. It's actually got ten highly anticipated games most of them with very high production values.

This didn't used to be the case. When we started the meter the first three or-so games were very interesting (TLJ2, S&M2 and BS3) but the others were very low-profile titles, such as Time Guard (never heard from again, actually).

It's great to see so many interesting, and somewhat more diverse games, in the Hype-O-Meter.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #3

Nice update. I agree with most of it. Especially the switch of plases in #2 and #3. Kepp it up!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
Coming Soon

Send a message via Yahoo to kwbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
It's hard not to smile whenever I see the Hype-O-Meter. It's actually got ten highly anticipated games most of them with very high production values.

This didn't used to be the case. When we started the meter the first three or-so games were very interesting (TLJ2, S&M2 and BS3) but the others were very low-profile titles, such as Time Guard (never heard from again, actually).

It's great to see so many interesting, and somewhat more diverse games, in the Hype-O-Meter.
Apparently Time Guard was released in Poland (I think it was there) and the developers has issues with GotGame about localization issues so no one else ever saw the game.

Is there anyone out there from Poland who ever saw this game?

Kim
Old 02-24-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbridge
Apparently Time Guard was released in Poland (I think it was there) and the developers has issues with GotGame about localization issues so no one else ever saw the game.

Is there anyone out there from Poland who ever saw this game?

Kim
Though it was in fact released here (but got lukewarm feedback, to put it nicely, so I've never bothered to check the game out), it is in fact a Czech game. So people from Czech Republic are more likely to know why it didn't get wider release.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #6

Default Hype-o-Meter

I love the Hype-o-Meter! I am trying to see what I can bump of the list to get Psychonauts on it - my personal variation ot he Hype-o-Meter.

Wait, maybe because Psychonauts is X-box (at least for now) and action/adventure it doesn't count. I can live with that.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to qrious

Quote:
Wait, maybe because Psychonauts is X-box (at least for now) and action/adventure it doesn't count. I can live with that.
i dont think that action/adventures arent allowed on that list. there are 2 of them already there.
platforms arent allowed

i like the fact that still life is second now.
also i think the day that dreamfall will fall from the first place is the day they are going to release its demo.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrious
i dont think that action/adventures arent allowed on that list. there are 2 of them already there.
platforms arent allowed
I guess you're talking about Dreamfall and... I'm not sure which other one. I don't think there's really any question anymore that Dreamfall will NOT be action/adventure. (How many times does Ragnar have to say it?! )

AG doesn't cover action/adventure games. Our focus is on games that consist predominantly of adventure gameplay, based on what we know about the title.

Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude was on the Hype-O-Meter once. It came down when it became clear that the finished product would not be an adventure game.

-emily
Old 02-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszv
Wait, maybe because Psychonauts is X-box (at least for now)
Ummm. It's also for PC & PS2 (at least for now), not that that has any bearing on its ineligibility.

I know I'm more hyped for Bone than "#7", and I'd never heard of it until people speculated that's what the TElltale license might be.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #10

Default Hype-o-Meter

Yeah, I know, doesn't really belong there - Psychonauts - but still - I wonder if begging would get it on the list?

Let's see, looking for one of those little smilies that applies. Nothing perfect - this will have to do.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:47 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to qrious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I guess you're talking about Dreamfall and... I'm not sure which other one. I don't think there's really any question anymore that Dreamfall will NOT be action/adventure. (How many times does Ragnar have to say it?! )
dreamfall will have many action elements so for me its an action adventure.i dont mind very much though IF its done right.
the other one is Indigo Prophecy.