You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Graham Annable interview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default Graham Annable interview

In case you guys somehow missed it...

That was an enjoyable interview. Encouraging

Quote:
We're talking about a graphic adventure game, right? What kind of engine and interface can we expect?

Yep, it will indeed be a graphic adventure game. The interface and engine will be of the point and click variety.

What's your vision for the gameplay of the game? Are we looking at lots of inventory puzzles, or will the gameplay be a departure from the classical LucasArts style adventure most of you worked on in the past?

The gameplay will be centered around strengthening the storyline and characters of the game. There will be a healthy balance of classic adventure game puzzles and mini games that will continuously progress both the characters and story. It won’t be a departure from the classical LucasArts style adventures so much, as hopefully a natural progression of them.
Quote:
How do you expect this game to be different from some of the other adventure games that have been released recently?

I’m hoping the art direction in the game will certainly make it stand out. I think our art production process will allow for the game to feel very ‘alive’ and will make the most of our animation system. Pacing of the game is really important to me as well. Like a well crafted film, I’d like to see our adventure games build nicely to climactic moments in the story and have players really feel strongly for the characters.
What I like to hear.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:24 AM   #2
Curiouser and curiouser

I enjoyed the interview a lot. For one thing, it got me much more interested in the game than I would have otherwise been. But also, the comments about the art direction were quite interesting--another neat look at the process from the point of view of the people working on AGs. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:37 AM   #3

I wonder what kind of mini games will be included. Some of the segments from the comic book series, like the cow racing and the ghost circle, are just ready made to be a mini game. I still hope that Telltale somehow built in a way to bypass (or cheat through) the mini games for those who might get frustrated by them.

The follwoing from the interview is music to my ears:

Quote:
We’re working closely with Jeff Smith to make certain that we stay true to the books and keep that great balance of humor and drama in the game.
Very interestng read. Thanks, Marek. I'm totally hyped now. Bone's at # 7 on the Hype-o-Meter but I expect it to climb up the chart rapidly.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

I'm actually very disappointed. I think art directors should make strong coffee, so this news is unsettling.

Other than that, though... much awesomeness!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
In case you guys somehow missed it...

That was an enjoyable interview. Encouraging

What I like to hear.
Yes, that was what I was thinking, when I read his answers. Not that big but empty "We're going to revolutionize the genre with awesome feature X" talk. A smooth, natural progression from the games they've been working on at LucasArts. I like that.

--Erwin
Old 02-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Bearly Here

Everything I read sounded very good.

I agree with Erwin, it is refreshing to see a group announce they are building on past experience rather than re-inventing the adventure genre one pixel at a time. TellTale has the inside talent to handle the construction also.

Solid interview - Marek
Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
rio
Custom User Title

Great interview, I really hope they either include the option to skip the mini-games (which is a good idea anyway in adventures) or make them better than say, the Sam and Max minigames.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

considering the sam and max minigames were designed as optional distractions and not as part of the actual game, maybe that won't be a problem with the new ones?

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #9
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I still hope that Telltale somehow built in a way to bypass (or cheat through) the mini games for those who might get frustrated by them.
From what I read at the telltale website before this news came out, they intend to help a guy out bypass puzzles (as in, through conversation with a character, you get a progressive amount of help, until you solve the puzzle), let alone minigames, if he gets too stuck/frustrated. And that is indeed good news. I'm tired of feeling like shit for looking up walkthroughs!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem