You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default dtp interview

Laura did a great interview with Chris Kellner of dtp entertainment, who have been shaking things up in Germany. It's really inspiring to see how much influence one company can have on the genre in an entire country. It's exciting, too, to see everything they have in the works. I for one am really looking forward to Runaway 2, so I liked reading up about it.

I especially liked this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kellner
Also, there are many small mistakes even modern adventure game developers always do again and again. For example pixel hunting or having to cross over a large space time and again, and you can’t even make your character run. Nobody likes time-based puzzles and yet you will find them in adventure games. This just sucks! Nobody wants it. I would really love to have a conference with ALL the adventure game developers around the world and tell them, “Just get rid of these action sequences; get rid of time limit puzzles!”
It's nice to see a publisher so in tune with what the audience actually wants!

emily
Old 02-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Bearly Here

Thanks Emily, All the credit goes to Chris - hard not to have a great interview when the subject is so funny, well spoken and really a gamer at heart.

Yeah - struck a chord with me too. I thought, "Great - a publisher that gets it!"
Old 02-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
Yeah - struck a chord with me too. I thought, "Great - a publisher that gets it!"
Completely--I wanted to hop up and down at that point because I so agree with the timing thing. I can think of maybe half a puzzle where a timed element has been interesting, enjoyable, and effective.

He just had so many great things to say and the whole interview was really interesting to read. Lots of good questions for him Laura about the market and marketing strategies and so on. (I thought answering emails to Gina and Sushi was pretty savvy. ) And it was just interesting to hear his insights about different games, different visual styles, and so on. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:21 AM   #4
headless

This is really a very interesting and informative interview. Thank you very much, Laura and Chris.

I for one am very happy that we german adventure fans have dtp. The company stands for quality adventures both regarding the games themselves and top notch localisation which is important for us as already discussed in another thread. I wish other publishers would get it that quality will always win over quantity in the end.