You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Banned User

Default A Few Things

1) 11th hour review! Stat!
2) Chatroom? Eh....

This may be silly, but do you guys do internships? I need to pick one for my upcoming last semester so i'm just looking at the moment.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Considering internship = unpaid gig, I think we're all essentially interns.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
2) Chatroom? Eh....
i've been wanting a chat room for years now, they did have an IRC channel but no one was ever on.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

ALL our reviews are 11th hour reviews!!.... Oh, you probably meant the game. I thought you meant under deadline.

Ah, well, then. We do reviews based on politeness of requests ... (slips 11th Hour to bottom of stack... )

As for the chat room, NO! we did have an AG IRC, but it seems to have died of neglect, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Considering internship = unpaid gig, I think we're all essentially interns.
Yeah I know it's unpaid, but no matter where I intern, I probably wont be paid (though some Circus Penuts would be nice), so it's really not an issue for me. As for Jackal....come on! You did 7th Guest, but you neglect the sequal. In fact, you don't even mention the 11th Hour in the 7th Guest review! Oh the shame.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

I think neglect is a little strong. Simply "not gotten to" is closer to the truth. That's not the only deserving game missing, and that's why we have Flashback Friday.

Incidentally, there's no particular reason why a sequel should be mentioned in a review of any game, except as a point of interest. It's not like something that came AFTER has any bearing on the earlier title.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
It's not like something that came AFTER has any bearing on the earlier title.
Oh yeahhhhhh? What if it's a prequel?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

Still wouldn't have any direct bearing on the original title.

For example, most of us are still trying to pretend the new Star Wars movies don't exist.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
Friendly Server Admin

Erm... obviously Marek is the Official word on the internships thing, but this is my guess at our position. We're not really set up for internships. I mean, our whole staff is voluntary, so an intern wouldn't really be different from any other job here. Plus, I don't think we actually have any open positions right now. But also, we're not a real company per se, so it'd probably be hard to convince a school or something that we count as an internship.

I'm sure Marek will be along eventually with the actual official response
Old 02-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I mean, our whole staff is voluntary, so an intern wouldn't really be different from any other job here.
That's what I was trying to say.

Besides, how can you have interns when you don't have coffee?!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
That's what I was trying to say.

Besides, how can you have interns when you don't have coffee?!
I may not have coffee, but I sure as hell have tea!

Anyway, thanks for the info. Like I said I have to find one, and I just thought that since I love this site, I'd find out if it were possible. Now that you mention it, convincing my advisor would be pretty difficult, but my powers of persuasion are grand! Except when it comes to convincing Jackal to review 11th hour....ahem....
Old 02-03-2005, 02:23 AM   #12
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

The IRC channel died because only BigJKO and myself only ever visited. Out of 1000+ users, only 2 regular chatters, what's that all about?!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:20 AM   #13
Puts the 'e' in Mark

OK, well here's my official response:

Quote:
We're not really set up for internships. I mean, our whole staff is voluntary, so an intern wouldn't really be different from any other job here. Plus, I don't think we actually have any open positions right now. But also, we're not a real company per se, so it'd probably be hard to convince a school or something that we count as an internship.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:33 AM   #14
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
OK, well here's my official response:
Quote:
We're not really set up for internships. I mean, our whole staff is voluntary, so an intern wouldn't really be different from any other job here. Plus, I don't think we actually have any open positions right now. But also, we're not a real company per se, so it'd probably be hard to convince a school or something that we count as an internship.
Wow! I didn't understand tabacco's explanation but you've managed to meke it so clear Marek.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 AM   #15
Freeware Co-ordinator

Just a thought temporaryscars. I'm presuming you're after a review of the 11th hour because you're a big fan and want everyone to know about the game. You could always do a review in the Reader Reviews forum while you're waiting for the AG staffers to get round to it. Not quite the profile of a home page display link but still gets it out there.

Cold Topic

Old 02-03-2005, 06:55 AM   #16
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Just a thought temporaryscars. I'm presuming you're after a review of the 11th hour because you're a big fan and want everyone to know about the game. You could always do a review in the Reader Reviews forum while you're waiting for the AG staffers to get round to it. Not quite the profile of a home page display link but still gets it out there.
Actually i've never played it. I just bought it yesterday and was wondering what they thought of it.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:43 AM   #17
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Actually i've never played it. I just bought it yesterday and was wondering what they thought of it.
I see. Well my personal opinion is as follows

The room puzzles themselves are quite good on the whole. The part with trying to locate items based on Stauf's riddles doesn't work as well. (One item I had trouble finding, not because I couldn't solve the riddle but because the item in the house didn't look anything like I expected it to) Also, anyone who was put off by the virus game in the 7th Guest should be warned that each segment of the 11th hour ends up with a game against Stauf. One of these games is the virus games but with hexagons instead of squares so be warned.

The plot of the game I felt was mediocre at best and the acting the same. Overall I enjoyed playing the game though.

Cold Topic

Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 AM   #18

What is an internship?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:36 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

It's when someone works at a company for free or a very low stipend, to get experience in that industry. It's usually done by a student or someone just out of college and lasts for a finite amount of time (like 4-6 months). Doing an internship can help you get a job at that company (or a different one) because it puts experience on your resume that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Do you ever watch Friends? They had an episode in one of their last seasons where Chandler takes an internship at an advertising agency. The joke is that all the other interns are like 10 years younger than he is.

-emily
Old 02-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #20
No justice. Only me.

Very occasionally it is possible to get a paid internship. I had one last year working with the law firm in D.C. that handled the 9/11 Fund. It was fascinating work. I was really lucky landing that one.