Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Sentinel review (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/6679-sentinel-review.html)

MaryScots 01-31-2005 10:37 AM

Sentinel review

First of all - great review, Laura! :)
I just finished the game myself and I agree with you for the bigger part. In one point, though, I differ - I found it quite fitting that you're not able to interact with objects other than those belonging to a puzzle and that is because while you are wandering through a stranger's memories - to me personally - it seems logical that you can only touch or interact with what this mind allows you to.

P.S.: While explaining the story you made a little mistake, the game starts in Tomb 35. It's not very important but anyway I thought I'd mention it. ;)

LauraMac 01-31-2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

game starts in Tomb 35
Uhm yes and so it did. OOPS Thanks :)

That's an interesting point about the possible logic for that aspect of the game, still left me feeling unengaged,

but yes makes sense from a story point. :)

EasilyConfused 01-31-2005 02:36 PM

Thanks so much for this Laura. I was really excited about Sentinel when I first heard about it, and then grew less so in a probably graph-able way over time. My concern was exactly the problem that you've described here--that I'd be unceremoniously dumped in some lovely but inaccessible world, even though I'd have that . . . Dormeuse-lady to talk to (or listen to???). Puzzles aren't great company to me either. But this might well be someone's cup of tea, so I thought it was a fair and balanced review. :) Helpful!

colpet 01-31-2005 04:20 PM

Nice review, Laura. This game is right up my alley. You have me drooling already!:9

LauraMac 01-31-2005 05:46 PM

Thanks guys.

Yes, The sentinel, Dormeuse was a very intriguing character and would have liked to have seen more of her in the game. And yep - it was a sit there and watch the dialogue moment. No actve choices. It was very well done cinematics, but still just a passive activity.

I do think that avid puzzlers will LOVE these obscure brain busters, I liked them in places - just wanted stuff to do - things to pick up - look at - comments...

And sensory overload on ambiance, graphics - really beautiful game environs.

Now I am being optimistic though about Still Life and Niburi :) and then there's DreamFall, Fahrenheit and Lost Paradise :9~ yummmmm

EDIT: To Trep - EXACTLY!! Embrace the rant and not right that we even have to. :o Someone said I seemed less upbeat in my reviews lately, and I said isnt "me" it's the games... Gotta be more than puzzles and one rat... :(

Intrepid Homoludens 01-31-2005 07:46 PM

:frusty: ARRRGH!!! What is it with these STERILE, DEAD, and INACCESSIBLE gameworlds?!! Where is it written in stone that the only things you're allowed to mess with are the puzzles themselves? It's the crucial difference between looking at a world and BEING in that world. This is one reason I get easily bored in these games, I can't do anything else, I can't touch anything BUT the puzzles themselves. Screw that, give me ways where I can actively discover the stories and not have to sit impotent and watch one cutscene after cutscene with my hands tied behind my back.

:(

Umm.... http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/edoom/heh_heh.gif
....excellent review, Laura. Love your style of writing.

RLacey 02-01-2005 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
:frusty: ARRRGH!!! What is it with these STERILE, DEAD, and INACCESSIBLE gameworlds?!! Where is it written in stone that the only things you're allowed to mess with are the puzzles themselves? It's the crucial difference between looking at a world and BEING in that world. This is one reason I get easily bored in these games, I can't do anything else, I can't touch anything BUT the puzzles themselves. Screw that, give me ways where I can actively discover the stories and not have to sit impotent and watch one cutscene after cutscene with my hands tied behind my back.

Die, Myst!