Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Why this forum is special (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/6598-why-forum-special.html)

SoccerDude28 01-27-2005 11:08 AM

Why this forum is special

I was trying out another forum the other day, the POP WW forum on ubisoft's website. I just wanted to post a thread to show my annoyance with the new prince, and I wrote a very civilized post, stating in constructive criticism why I didn't enjoy POP WW as much as I did with the prequel.

The mod closed the thread right away saying, "someone else has talked about the subject, please post there." First of all there are 82 pages of threads, so looking through all of them is gonna take me all day long. Then he could have just merged my thread to another one like fov here does. Third of all, instead of saying "Hello welcome to the forums...." he just said it so abruptly with no tact what so ever. I just remembered how nice and patient fov, Trep and the rest of the guys here.

Then most of the people who posted there were literally trolls. Some were very insightful and I enjoyed reading a few of their posts, but 99% of the posts were just plain stupid. Anyway, this forum and the folks here, are very very tolerant compared to other places, and I really feel at home :) Just wanted to share this with you guys.

BoyToy 01-27-2005 11:39 AM

i think some1 else already talked about this subject! request this to be deleted!!!!!!!!111
also this belongs in forum fuckin-feedback, not site feedback, you troll!

:P :P :P

;) ;) ;)

No, I love you all too! And can only back up what you just said, SD. :)
*huggle*

fov 01-27-2005 11:48 AM

My first experience at the Vivendi / Sierra forum was to post a link for abandonware. Someone was looking for a game and I posted the link thinking I was helping. I really and truly didn't know how the community regarded abandonware -- I had literally only rediscovered adventure games earlier that week and was trying to be nice. The mod deleted my post and shut down my account without even an explanation. It was only after I went to the FAQs trying to figure out what happened to my account that I realized I'd broken a rule.

I suppose deleting the link and closing the account was a better way to handle it than to let twenty people jump on me for what a terrible person I am, but still, all it would have taken would have been a brief explanation and I would have known better. I may even have stuck around that community.

Anyway, I try hard not to do this kind of thing to people here. I usually lurk on a board for awhile before I post (I was reading this one for months before I worked up the courage!) and I think that first post is the hardest to make. It's not a good feeling to finally make your first post somewhere, only to be told that you did it wrong.

-emily

ps I once closed someone's thread after referring them to another thread on the same topic and felt kinda bad about it afterward. That little padlock is so sterile and mean looking. Merging is better, but I wish that merging threads left a redirect, the same way that moving a thread does. Sometimes I'm hesitant to merge a thread because it will look to the original poster like their thread has been deleted.

BoyToy 01-27-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Merging is better, but I wish that merging threads left a redirect, the same way that moving a thread does. Sometimes I'm hesitant to merge a thread because it will look to the original poster like their thread has been deleted.

What if you move it, and then merge the new (moved) thread? Would that work?

fov 01-27-2005 11:53 AM

Yes, if you move a thread into a different forum, then merge it, the redirect takes you to the merged thread. But if both threads are in the same forum to begin with, there's nowhere to move it to! (But I guess I could move it somewhere else just for the sake of getting a redirect.)

:) emily

stepurhan 01-27-2005 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Yes, if you move a thread into a different forum, then merge it, the redirect takes you to the merged thread. But if both threads are in the same forum to begin with, there's nowhere to move it to! (But I guess I could move it somewhere else just for the sake of getting a redirect.)

:) emily

Maybe you could take the new thread on a little tour or all the forums, point out the interesting sites ( ;) ) and give it a nice cup of tea and a biscuit afterwards. Then at least when you merged it, it would fade away having had a fun day out first. :P

Got to give kudos to the mods though. emily in particular has made these forums a positive experience for me. She moved one of my misplaced threads (and answered my query on how the redirect would work), explained mysterious buttons and even amended my poll to help cool the rising argument in my "Walkthroughs and other (word deleted because of all the trouble it caused last time)" thread.

Cheers emily. You're the best. :D

Intrepid Homoludens 01-27-2005 12:55 PM

It depends on the post. Usually if someone new posts something like 'Which is your favourite adventure game?' and I catch it first I'd reply 'Welcome!', that this topic has been discussed and post links to those previous discussions, and then introduce them to the search function. After that it's the n00bie's call. I could wait a few days and if the newbie migrates to the existing threads I can lock his thread or merge it with an existing thread. If others join in the new thread, well I'll let it be, there might be some new things brought up anyway, and besides, there's already the links I posted to the old threads if anyone wants to explore things more.

fov 01-27-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan
Maybe you could take the new thread on a little tour or all the forums, point out the interesting sites ( ;) ) and give it a nice cup of tea and a biscuit afterwards. Then at least when you merged it, it would fade away having had a fun day out first. :P

Heh. This reminds me of something really funny I heard on the radio this morning, which really has nothing to do with the topic but since we're all being so touchy/feely I'll take my chances with going OT for a sec.

The DJ was talking about when you find a spider in your house, and everything you go through to get it safely outside without actually having to touch it. So you trick the spider into walking onto a magazine and try to get to the door before the spider realizes he's not on the table anymore. When the spider reaches the edge of the magazine, you flip it over so he won't fall off, then when you're trying to get the door open the spider gets to the edge again. You can't flip over the magazine a second time because if you did the spider would realize he's on a magazine, because he already read this part! :D

Okay, it was much funnier on the radio. :(

Quote:

Cheers emily. You're the best. :D
Thanks. I'll try not to let it go to my head. *D

-emily

fov 01-27-2005 09:58 PM

Apparently I'm the only person who found that spider thing the least bit amusing...

rio 01-27-2005 10:13 PM

Oh,...um.....he he he........nah can't do it sorry. :rolleyes: :devil:

Jazhara7 01-27-2005 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Apparently I'm the only person who found that spider thing the least bit amusing...

No, you're not.

I found it amusing as well.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

stepurhan 01-28-2005 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov

Nah, it was good. To recreate the original (so we can more of a feel for it) can you play Hotel California by The Eagles after telling the story next time. :P

Of course, there are two obvious solutions to this problem. Firstly cover all your tables with pages from magazines (so spiders get used to the idea of magazine articles on tables) and then perfect the art of turning the page while you flip the magazine over. In fact, maybe that's what the spider was after in the first place. It's a bugger turning magazine pages over yourself when you're that size. :D

BoyToy 01-28-2005 10:12 AM

What Jaz said!

And *lol* about what Stepurhan said, too.

SoccerDude28 01-28-2005 10:45 AM

In my last apartment I had a pet spider. I aclled him Spidy. He was a daddy long-legs

http://www.garden-spiders.com/spider...-spiders-3.gif

I used to watch him make his webs over my bed, and bid him good night before I go to sleep. He also was strong. He fought those small strong jumping black spiders by webbing them. He doesn't jump or use force, but he can web like a loom. But then the tragic day happened. He got married, and I was swarmed with daddy long-legs. I had to destroy his webs and use a magazine to lead him to someone else's apartment. It was one of the saddest days of my life :(

Okay I need a life I know :D

Ninth 01-28-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
In my last apartment I had a pet spider. I aclled him Spidy. He was a daddy long-legs

http://www.garden-spiders.com/spider...-spiders-3.gif

I used to watch him make his webs over my bed, and bid him good night before I go to sleep. He also was strong. He fought those small strong jumping black spiders by webbing them. He doesn't jump or use force, but he can web like a loom. But then the tragic day happened. He got married, and I was swarmed with daddy long-legs. I had to destroy his webs and use a magazine to lead him to someone else's apartment. It was one of the saddest days of my life :(

Okay I need a life I know :D

Funny name. I think we call those "cousins".
And sorry to hear about your loss. :sad:

100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja 01-28-2005 12:51 PM

Well if I find them I leave them be, but if they start jumping on me while I sleep, I use my magazine in a much more aggressive way :)

fov 01-28-2005 01:00 PM

My grandmother used to say that killing a spider will make it rain (water, not spiders).

And look - I have proven that I CAN take a thread off topic with just one post. :D (Which is probably not something a moderator should be bragging about...)

BoyToy 01-28-2005 01:11 PM

Isn't taking-a-thread-off-topic-with-just-one-post also something why this forum is so special? ;)

Wait... this makes your post on-topic... *scratches head* paradoxon-alert... hmmmm... *head explodes*

SoccerDude28 01-28-2005 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Well if I find them I leave them be, but if they start jumping on me while I sleep, I use my magazine in a much more aggressive way :)

Your avatar says it all :rolleyes:

100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja 01-28-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Your avatar says it all :rolleyes:

Don't make me change it again!

you guys always complain about something, first with the beer-avatar, now devil, and you force me to change it before the comments become hurtful to my delicate soul :\

:D