You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Adventure Gamers launches new design!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 03:46 AM   #81
Under pressure.

Yeah, too bad FireFox has a few very irritating quirks as well. On this forum, for example, it refuses to insert a smiley at the point of your cursor. (It places them at the end of the text instead)

--Erwin
Old 01-26-2005, 03:58 AM   #82
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Yeah, too bad FireFox has a few very irritating quirks as well. On this forum, for example, it refuses to insert a smiley at the point of your cursor. (It places them at the end of the text instead)
I found that out, too, when I was on R's computer in Oregon.

Anyway, I'm still using IE.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-26-2005, 04:10 AM   #83
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Then I recommend switching to the enhanced mode. (With the Word-like toolbar at the top). You can do that in the user cp. The mode you're probably using is the low-tech one that has quirks in both IE and FireFox sadly.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:21 AM   #84
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Anyway, I'm still using IE.
Just look at Foxie. Isn't he the cutest little creature ever? (Yes, despite some fake images in the Net, Firefox is indeed male. *stubborn look*) Now, look at the face of Internet Explorer... Now I've made sure that every time you open IE, you are reminded of Bill Gates's face. I hope this helps!

Last edited by deadworm222; 01-26-2005 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #85
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Then I recommend switching to the enhanced mode. (With the Word-like toolbar at the top). You can do that in the user cp. The mode you're probably using is the low-tech one that has quirks in both IE and FireFox sadly.
Bah. After a few days I decided to ditch FireFox and most importantly that awful 'enhanced' edit mode on the forums. Inserting links doesn't work correctly. If I select a word in my text, to assign a link to it, it completely messes up by placing the link in more words than I selected.

The most terrible thing however: I miss ieSpell. I want to check my English for spelling mistakes. I've tried looking for a FF plugin to check spelling, but without luck.

--Erwin
Old 01-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #86
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Bah. After a few days I decided to ditch FireFox and most importantly that awful 'enhanced' edit mode on the forums. Inserting links doesn't work correctly. If I select a word in my text, to assign a link to it, it completely messes up by placing the link in more words than I selected.

The most terrible thing however: I miss ieSpell. I want to check my English for spelling mistakes. I've tried looking for a FF plugin to check spelling, but without luck.
Funny how I haven't experienced any of the problems you've stated in your post. Inserting links works jut fine for me. I wouldn't give up on Firefox no matter what. Sure it has its share of bugs and problems, but pros outweight the cons by far.

As for the ieSpell, no, there is no such alternative for FireFox atm, but things might change. Never used it myself, since I've heard about its existance a bit too late. So i don't really miss it.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:56 AM   #87
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
Funny how I haven't experienced any of the problems you've stated in your post. Inserting links works jut fine for me. I wouldn't give up on Firefox no matter what. Sure it has its share of bugs and problems, but pros outweight the cons by far.
Nah, not really. It's a bit off-topic, but I've had dozens of problems with other websites as well. Most notably problems with all sorts of forms, even a simple password/username entry form. It's very annoying when you can't enter text in a textfield, or click the submit button. I could go on and on about how Horde (e-mail) doesn't work, and how Plesk (domain admin thingie) is screwing up, but I won't. Trust me, for me there aren't many pro's to be using FireFox.

Quote:
As for the ieSpell, no, there is no such alternative for FireFox atm, but things might change. Never used it myself, since I've heard about its existance a bit too late. So i don't really miss it.
That sucks. I tend to type really fast (I'm always afraid I forget what I was trying to say, hehe) and a lot of mistakes slip in. IeSpell always does a wonderful job to correct these.

--Erwin
Old 02-01-2005, 06:34 AM   #88
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Eh? I can use Plesk and Horde just fine. I use them everyday with Firefox from three different computers.

I think the problems might be elsewhere...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #89
Under pressure.

Quote:
Eh? I can use Plesk and Horde just fine. I use them everyday with Firefox from three different computers.

I think the problems might be elsewhere...
Well perhaps, but that would be very strange since I'm experiencing these problems on both my machines running Novell Linux Desktop 9 (SUSE) and Windows XP.

--Erwin
Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #90
Puts the 'e' in Mark

What kind of problems are they (if you don't mind me asking -- not desperately trying to defend Firefox or anything, just curious).
Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #91
soffistical

About spell checking: Spellbound - extension for Firefox, and there's of course always online alternatives: JSpell, just in case anybody'd find it useful.

Btw, the new look kicks ass!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #92
Under pressure.

Quote:
What kind of problems are they (if you don't mind me asking -- not desperately trying to defend Firefox or anything, just curious).
Like I said, the text fields don't focus so I'm not able to submit my credentials. I simply can't login! This happens with a lot of forms I encounter.

I even had this problem when designing my Adventure Developers site, in which case it was the graphic submit button (you know, using an image as a button) that caused problems in FireFox. It worked once I implemented a default submit button.

Thanks Emma, I'll check these extentions out!

--Erwin
Old 02-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #93
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
About spell checking: Spellbound - extension for Firefox, and there's of course always online alternatives: JSpell, just in case anybody'd find it useful.

Btw, the new look kicks ass!
I've installed Spellbound, and it works like a charm! I wonder why it isn't on FireFox's website of extensions.

--Erwin
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #94
Doctor Watson

Because it comes with Trojans!11111
Old 02-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #95
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Loags of the extensions available for Firefox aren't on the official updates page... You just have to Google or find a good source for them yourself. Like this.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:17 PM   #96
Cognitive Dissonant

Default Excellent face-lift

Site looks awesome Marek, multiple kudos for all the improvements. I've missed AG'ers, and glad to be back - haven't had HS access for quite some time.

Great to "see" all of you again!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:29 PM   #97
Bearly Here

Heyyyy

(((Tom)))

Sure is great to see you back. Now stick around!