You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback you are subscribed to this thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
pain is love

Default you are subscribed to this thread?

Well, I've only seen this recently, maybe it was here before. Anyway, could someone explain to me what does the little picture in the top right corner of the thread name mean? (the one that says "you are subscribed to this thread")

if the question is too stupid, don't bother answering. I will survive not knowing...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
merely human

Um, that's the title of your thread, a.k.a. I'm assuming you're asking about the link on the upper right corner of the posting field whenever you're replying a post in a thread. It simply means that you are posting in that thread.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Doctor Watson

If you subscribe to a thread, you can sort of follow it - when it's updated you get it emailed. You can control subscriptions in your User CP. (You can subscribe to a thread by clicking "Thread Tools" and choosing it.)

Never tried it myself, except a few seconds ago.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:04 AM   #4

I think it sends you email notifications whenever there's activity in the thread. I've never used it myself so I don't know exactly how it works.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 AM   #5
merely human

That's exactly what it does. If a thread is particularly important to you, subscribe to it and the forum will email you about new posts.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2005, 03:30 AM   #6
pain is love

I am talking about this:
As for subscribing to any threads I'm a 100 % sure I've never done that. Also, it didn't send me any e-mail notifications either. A true mystery...

by_100ja
Old 01-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
merely human

That's what I meant, yes. It's supposed to notify you of any new postings. You're given a choice of 4 ways to subscribe, including instant email notification.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
pain is love

OK, thanx anyway trep

by_100ja
Old 01-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
merely human

Still confused? It does work, I did a test subscription for one of the threads. This feature is convenient if you don't want to have to browse through the entire forum. You can pick and choose which threads interest you and you'll be notified of each activity in it via your email. Or if there's one particular thread you posted in and you want to know when someone has responded, subcribe to it and you'll be notified.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #10
pain is love

No, I'm confused how I got subscribed in the first place, don't remember doing anything like that. But, afterall, it really isn't important, I mostly opened this thread out of boredom anyway

BTW what a lovely avatar you have, is it an autoportrait? (glad to see you're back)

by_100ja
Old 01-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #11
Doctor Watson

You can also subscribe to a thread when you create it. Maybe you accidentally moved your mouse to some direction and subscribed?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

In addition to what the others said, you should note that by default you are getting subscribed to every thread you posted in.
Also, by default you don't get any emails for your subscriptions, but just that little icon next to the thread title.

Go and play with the corresponding menus in the User CP settings a bit... be a bit more explorative, you're an adventure gamer after all!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyToy
Go and play with the corresponding menus in the User CP settings a bit... be a bit more explorative, you're an adventure gamer after all!
That's a thought - the adventure gamers forum as an adventure game! *plots*
Old 01-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #14
pain is love

Quote:
In addition to what the others said, you should note that by default you are getting subscribed to every thread you posted in.
Also, by default you don't get any emails for your subscriptions, but just that little icon next to the thread title.

Blah, i'm not that interested in wandering around my User CP, I have Gabriel Knight and Final Unity to make me feel enough adventurous these days

Also, I'm not subscribed in all the threads I posted in... Maybe it's what wormsie said, I did go on the forum a bit drunk a few days ago

by_100ja
Old 01-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Maybe it's what wormsie said, I did go on the forum a bit drunk a few days ago
Figures.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #16
furryyellowthing

Quote:
Blah, i'm not that interested in wandering around my User CP, I have Gabriel Knight and Final Unity to make me feel enough adventurous these days
How old-school of you!

Quote:
Also, I'm not subscribed in all the threads I posted in... Maybe it's what wormsie said, I did go on the forum a bit drunk a few days ago
That's a bit unlikely, if you don't like to play "The Curse of User CP" at all?
Anyhow. There might be a time-out for subscritions. (I'm not here long enough yet. But it's unlikely that I remain subscribed to every thread I ever posted to forever.(?))
Also, you should note (just in case you didn't), that there's a difference between the "New Subscribed Threads" overview you see on the main page of the User CP (the 'loading screen', so to speak), and the complete list you get when clicking "List Subscriptions" in the menu on the left (the inventory).

*puzzled*
Old 01-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #17
pain is love

Quote:
Also, you should note (just in case you didn't), that there's a difference between the "New Subscribed Threads" overview you see on the main page of the User CP (the 'loading screen', so to speak), and the complete list you get when clicking "List Subscriptions" in the menu on the left (the inventory).

*puzzled*
What? Damn you BoyToy, you only posted this to make me feel stupid... Well, it didn't work!

I never thought this thread would be this long though...

by_100ja
Old 01-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
Citizen of Bizarro World

Ortak, ako te ovi smaraci zbunjuju, samo raspali po "naskom," pa vidi sta ce onda da kazu, kad su toliko pametni!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-23-2005, 07:55 AM   #19
furryyellowthing

Quote:
Damn you BoyToy, you only posted this to make me feel stupid... Well, it didn't work!
Damn, plans foiled!
Old 01-23-2005, 12:49 PM   #20
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Ortak, ako te ovi smaraci zbunjuju, samo raspali po "naskom," pa vidi sta ce onda da kazu, kad su toliko pametni!
Pa di si čovječe, nisam te videl sto godina tu! Di si nesto?
(and for the rest of you: Where have you been man, haven't seen you in years. Where've you gone?)

by_100ja