Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   How about some IF reviews (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/6376-how-about-some-if-reviews.html)

Nude 01-13-2005 09:20 AM

How about some IF reviews
 
Although there are many great interactive fiction games, coming through good/detailed reviews of those little gems are a bit hard... Can the great reviewers of this great site add a couple of IF reviews. Future boy is a great addition and the review definetely made my mind about buying the game...
cheers

fov 01-13-2005 09:24 AM

I'm going to move your thread into the Site Feedback section.

It's a good suggestion, and one I know has been considered.

-emily

Nude 01-13-2005 09:26 AM

Thank you, I didnt know where to post so I posted in the Adventure games area.

Wormsie 01-13-2005 09:42 AM

Since the IF week and World Fair review there hasn't been any IF content.

Nude 01-13-2005 10:05 AM

Every year many freeware IF games compete each other in IFComp and some of them must be really nice... If youre interested you can check the games at http://ifcomp.org/

EasilyConfused 01-13-2005 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nude
Every year many freeware IF games compete each other in IFComp and some of them must be really nice... If youre interested you can check the games at http://ifcomp.org/

Erm, we do have some great links to IF sites on the links page . . . :D

Nude 01-13-2005 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Erm, we do have some great links to IF sites on the links page . . . :D

opppss me bad :D

EasilyConfused 01-13-2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nude
opppss me bad :D

No no no, I just discovered it two days ago. ;)

Jazhara7 01-13-2005 10:37 AM

I also think this would be great. Recently I've been playing IF games, and I greatly enjoy them. I would love to learn of more good IF games.


- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Wormsie 01-13-2005 10:44 AM

I think the IF article covers the best ones. Of course, that's just my opinion, and besides, I don't consider many IF games that playable due to the parser interface and difficult navigation. Not even a map can help me there. :shifty:

Jazhara7 01-13-2005 10:58 AM

Ah, I already finished "Worlds Apart". I hope that Suzanne Britton finishes the book soon (though she says it will not be finished any time soon :( ) - I can't wait to learn more about that world.




- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nude 01-13-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Ah, I already finished "Worlds Apart". I hope that Suzanne Britton finishes the book soon (though she says it will not be finished any time soon :( ) - I can't wait to learn more about that world.




- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

give the old infocom game "a mind forever voyaging" a try. a new z3 (or z5) remake version was available somewhere on the net i cant remember now... very original, mindblowing i must say

Nude 01-13-2005 11:33 AM

there was a page on remake infocom games i think

RLacey 01-13-2005 11:45 AM

I believe that AG has at several points had IF correspondants on the site, but that they all disappeared. Or something like that.

I did actually make a news post about IFComp, but evidently you all missed it ;).

As for IF sites, I recommend (based on what people have told me) The Interactive Fiction Archive and Baf's Guide to the Interactive Fiction Archive. Both are very large and full to bursting with quality IF goodness.

fov 01-13-2005 11:45 AM

Besides Future Boy and the Chicago World's Fair game, do people know of other *commercial* IF games that have been released in the past few years? I don't get the impression there are that many... but I don't know much about the ins and outs of IF.

Of course, reviews of freeware games or oldies like Zork would be nice, but there are way more freeware games and oldies than we have time / staff to review (in general, not just IF). ;)

-emily

RLacey 01-13-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Besides Future Boy and the Chicago World's Fair game, do people know of other *commercial* IF games that have been released in the past few years? I don't get the impression there are that many... but I don't know much about the ins and outs of IF.

If Evan were here, he'd probably have answered this by now. From my limited knowledge, there hasn't been a lot of commercial activity in the IF sector for a while now (though I'm bound to have forgotten something major, as is my wont).

Having said that, you may recognise a few company names...

fov 01-13-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
If Evan were here, he'd probably have answered this by now. From my limited knowledge, there hasn't been a lot of commercial activity in the IF sector for a while now (though I'm bound to have forgotten something major, as is my wont).

Ha! Now that you mention it, I remember asking him the same question. He said he knew of five commercial releases in the last three years (including Future Boy). But he didn't tell me the names of the other four.

-emily

Kolorabi 01-13-2005 12:01 PM

I suppose some of the games on www.feelies.org could qualify, though they're also available for free download (you're essentially paying for the packaging). Here's a fairly recent one: http://www.feelies.org/game.php?id=36 (this is a good game, and one which should be easy to install and play if you're coming from Future Boy, as it's created using the same system)

Jackal 01-13-2005 12:02 PM

We'd definitely like to continue reviewing commercial IF in future, so stay tuned for the latest and greatest in the world of... text. In fact, if I-Jet comes out with any more trailers, we're going to start reviewing those, too. :D

In terms of freeware IF, that goes into the category of AG's Underground, and if I'm not mistaken, Robert Lacey inadvertently just volunteered to review all IF ever written.

LauraMac 01-13-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

Robert Lacey inadvertently just volunteered to review all IF ever written.
I think it was intentional... heh


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Design & Logo Copyright Ā©1998 - 2017, Adventure GamersĀ®.
All posts by users and Adventure Gamers staff members are property of their original author and don't necessarily represent the opinion or editorial stance of Adventure Gamers.