You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Nancy Drew review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default Nancy Drew review

Another nice review today (or yesterday? I finally got the chance to read it today!) I've never played a Nancy Drew game. The atmosphere for this one seems neat, with the old timey theater. I liked the screenshots. (Are the ND games set in the present, or in the "past" (30s) when the ND books were initally set?)

I know that Final Scene is somewhere around the middle of the series. How does it compare to the newer games (like Blackmoor Manor)? If I want to try one of these games, is it worth it to start with Final Scene or one of the other earlier games, or should I just get one of the newest ones? (I get the feeling the interface has been improved in the newer games.)

-emily
Old 01-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Another nice review today (or yesterday? I finally got the chance to read it today!) I've never played a Nancy Drew game. The atmosphere for this one seems neat, with the old timey theater. I liked the screenshots. (Are the ND games set in the present, or in the "past" (30s) when the ND books were initally set?)

I know that Final Scene is somewhere around the middle of the series. How does it compare to the newer games (like Blackmoor Manor)? If I want to try one of these games, is it worth it to start with Final Scene or one of the other earlier games, or should I just get one of the newest ones? (I get the feeling the interface has been improved in the newer games.)

-emily
Nice job, Heidi. I was particularly amused by the "Disaster Drew" line . . . I remember as a kid reading the books, you really do want Nancy for your friend, just so you can get to do all the cool things she gets to do.

I have all of the same questions as fov. With LauraMac's enthusiastic ND review and this as well, the series is starting to interest me (I wish I had the of a nephew or niece to hand them off to afterwards--I'd feel more justified in indulging! ). Where would either of you suggest starting?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Great review. I absolutely adore this series. They're such tight games. And a little educational as well.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
Girl Next Door

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! It is always nice to know that people are finding my reviews helpful!

Now to answer your questions. Why just play one when you can play them all? If you could manage it I would start with #1 and play all the way through, however, that may not be possible for everyone, so I would just choose one. In that case I would go with Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor. The interface problems have been fixed here (not that I think you wouldn't enjoy the older games just as well) and though I have not played this game myself I trust Laura's judgment on how good the game is. It also sounds like it has signifacant play time and enviroments to explore.

Good luck!

Caring about the blogosphere one badly spelled post at a time.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #5

Really, all of the games are good and it doesn't matter which you start with. (the plots don't carry over from one to the next)

I would say my favorite overall - and the one I gave the highest score to - is Danger on Deception Island.