You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Scratches preview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Mostly absent

Default Scratches preview

A preview of the indie point & clicker Scratches, written by LauraMac, has been posted on AG.

While your at it, check out the official Scratches site, where you can find teasers, screenshots, music etc.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Mattsius. I read the preview when it first went up but couldn't think of anything to say. (My brain is still addled... how long can I get away with the "I'm stuck in Boston" excuse?!)

The preview is beautifully written and it makes the game sound intriguing. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of first person and/or haunted house games. (I have not played either Dark Fall game yet... I know others love them, but so far it has not appealed to me. Maybe I'm just afraid of ghosts!) Reading the preview I did wonder... is this the birth of a new genre, the Dark Fall clone?

The screenies look great, though, and I love anything that's put together by an independent developer or group. I can't remember other games coming out of South America so I think that's pretty cool, too.

-emily
Old 12-31-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Under pressure.

The quality of their artwork has been improved greatly, when I compare them with some very early screens I've seen.

I'm not a big fan of empty game worlds, though. (Worlds that aren't populated with NPC's to talk to, like Myst, 7th Guest, etc...)

The telephone in Scratches does allow for some communication, fortunately.

--Erwin
Old 12-31-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

I would really encourage people to try the playable demo (what Nucleosys calls a teaser). It's short, but quite impressive, and based on that and Laura's preview, I think this game could surprise a lot of people.

Interestingly, Blue's News clued in to the presence of the demo just today, though it's been available on the official site for quite some time. Hmm... AG previews game... newswire plays up game. Coincidence?
Old 12-31-2004, 06:22 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I would really encourage people to try the playable demo (what Nucleosys calls a teaser).
I'd have loved to do it today if it worked on a Mac.

Seriously though, it's on my "to do" list just as soon as I get back to the REAL world...

emily (still stranded in Boston)
Old 01-04-2005, 02:07 AM   #6
merely human

Splendid work, Laura! The details of the game give much credence to its promise of a creepy, uneasy, and atmospheric experience not for the faint of heart. Some of those screens remind me of the film The Others. I only wish we knew a bit more about that homemade graphics engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Maybe I'm just afraid of ghosts!
CHICKEN!!! SHAMELESS WUSS!!!

fov
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-05-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
Curiouser and curiouser

Talk about chicken . . . LauraMac, I'm really dying to read your preview b/c you write such good stuff, but I'm so scared of horror genre stuff that I'm scared to read the preview!!! Um, it's the thought that counts, right??
Old 01-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
Bearly Here

the preview .. It won't scare ya ...that much EC. It will more likely tease.
.... *heheh*

But I have to admit -- everything I have seen on the game and its story line -- it does appear to be a nightmare tinged tale..
Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #9
Doctor Watson

EDIT: Nevermind the bollocks...