You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Bad Mojo Redux review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
Mostly absent

Default Bad Mojo Redux review

I really should go out buy this game. It seems totally cool.

What's that crawling over there? Eiwww, it's a bug!

DIE! DIE!
Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Fun review! Although I don't think I can stand to play the game. I really, REALLY hate bugs.

I killed a cockroach once. I was doing summer school in a dorm near the Charles River and there were roaches in our room. The exterminator sprayed but we still saw them from time to time. It was a suite with a bathroom attached. One day my roommate was getting ready for class and saw this big roach (like 4 inches long) in the shower... I kid you not, she ran out of the suite and wouldn't come back. I wanted to just close the bathroom door and leave it there but I had to pee... so I trapped the roach on the floor under a paper cup. Its feelers were sticking out from under the rim of the cup and it actually managed to bump around a little bit (moving the cup with it), that's how big it was. We left it on the floor that way for three days and walked around the cup on our way to the bathroom. Finally when I was sure it was dead, I managed to scoop it up into the cup and flush it.

I felt guilty about killing it that way for weeks...

So that's why I'm a little apprehensive about playing Bad Mojo.

-emily
Old 12-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Fun review! Although I don't think I can stand to play the game. I really, REALLY hate bugs.

I killed a cockroach once. I was doing summer school in a dorm near the Charles River and there were roaches in our room. The exterminator sprayed but we still saw them from time to time. It was a suite with a bathroom attached. One day my roommate was getting ready for class and saw this big roach (like 4 inches long) in the shower... I kid you not, she ran out of the suite and wouldn't come back. I wanted to just close the bathroom door and leave it there but I had to pee... so I trapped the roach on the floor under a paper cup. Its feelers were sticking out from under the rim of the cup and it actually managed to bump around a little bit (moving the cup with it), that's how big it was. We left it on the floor that way for three days and walked around the cup on our way to the bathroom. Finally when I was sure it was dead, I managed to scoop it up into the cup and flush it.

-emily
No better way to redeem yourself than to become one!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
No better way to redeem yourself than to become one!
Couldn't have said it better myself, Mr. 100 (I'm going to call you that just to shorten your name up).

Anyway, I just finished reading the review, and man, oh man does this game sound very original. I have never heard of a game that lets you play as a cockroach before, and that sounds so intriguing. I'm definitely looking forward to buying it next year, along with Chronicles of Riddick-Escape from Butcher Bay, F.E.A.R, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Still Life, and any other games that look very fun to play. I also read the original 1996 Bad Mojo review, and I can definitely underestand why Got Game felt the need to update this game. I must give kudos to them for doing that.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

-emily
How'd you keep the cup over it for three days? Did you put something on top?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
I really should go out buy this game. It seems totally cool.
Yes, you really should. Everyone should. I'm not just blowing smoke. I think every adventure gamer should play it. Goodbye "all the same", hello Bad Mojo.

Zack, with that great taste in other games, I think you'd really like Mojo, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Although I don't think I can stand to play the game. I really, REALLY hate bugs.
Suuuuure you can. Come on! The Exec Producer had a cockroach living inside his HEAD! (Admittedly, it wasn't 4 inches, of course. But still. )
Old 12-17-2004, 12:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Blah blah blah cockroach blah blah cup blah dead blah

-emily
My thoughts on this story: GYELAH!!!!

*runs screaming into the night*

I can't STAND bugs (I cover my eyes during the bug scene in Temple of Doom- I can't help it) but I'm still tempted to play this game. What is wrong with my brain?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:02 AM   #8
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Suuuuure you can. Come on! The Exec Producer had a cockroach living inside his HEAD! (Admittedly, it wasn't 4 inches, of course. But still. )
That was the most gross part of the whole interview (and that's saying a lot).
Old 12-17-2004, 06:11 AM   #9
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox
Default The Roach in All of Us

The reason why you SHOULD play Bad Mojo is because you DID kill a roach and now must redeem yourself for that...

I have killed literally thousands. As a boy who grew up in a roach infested apartment, I was always terrified and sickened by them...I had a phobia, and what did I do? I conquered the phobia by making a game about roaches.

VC
Old 12-17-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
Bearly Here

Yep, that ole "Be one with the Roaches" philosophy.

Well, I have killed my fair share of the little buggers. But yes, it is good to put this violent hatred behind you and see what it's like on the other side of the shoe....

Besides it's a sanitized game and you can crawl up walls, leap across space and meet the Oracle roach. Better than a magic 8 - Ball.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
How'd you keep the cup over it for three days? Did you put something on top?
After a little while it stopped bumping around in the cup. It became one with the cup.

I consoled myself with the fact that cockroaches like the dark, so it died happy...

I'd forgotten that part of the interview until now. Ugh, that cockroach-in-head story is one of the nastiest things I have ever heard. I'm surprised he hasn't needed decades of therapy.

-emily
Old 12-17-2004, 07:00 AM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrose
I can't STAND bugs (I cover my eyes during the bug scene in Temple of Doom- I can't help it) but I'm still tempted to play this game. What is wrong with my brain?
No, hey, that WAS gross in ToD. Really, there's nothing nearly that disgusting in Mojo. Well, except the part where.... whoops, no, never mind.

Really, though, it's hard to hate them when you anthropomorphize* one. Like a pet. Except it's you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentbox
The reason why you SHOULD play Bad Mojo is because you DID kill a roach and now must redeem yourself for that...
Of course, after you made a game about cockroaches, you had to dispose of a hillion jillion of them. The penance for that is going to be a whopper.

*To whoever tells me I used the wrong word here, shut up.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:04 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Really, though, it's hard to hate them when you anthropomorphize* one. Like a pet. Except it's you.
Still, they could have made a game about a hamster...
Old 12-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #14
Mostly absent

Quote:
Actually, it would be quite hard to kill a roach from where I'm sitting, since we don't have them here in Finland (well, not big ones anyway). 8-)
Old 12-17-2004, 09:37 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Ah yes... I have Bad Mojo. It all makes perfect sense!

Seriously though, I want to play it. I love FMV so it's very tempting. Maybe it will be my own form of therapy.

-emily
Old 12-17-2004, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, you really should. Everyone should. I'm not just blowing smoke. I think every adventure gamer should play it. Goodbye "all the same", hello Bad Mojo.

Zack, with that great taste in other games, I think you'd really like Mojo, too.
Thanks, Jackal, that inspires me to get the game even more.

Last edited by LauraMac; 12-18-2004 at 05:58 AM. Reason: ubb code fix
Old 12-18-2004, 06:00 AM   #17
Bearly Here

Quote:
Really, though, it's hard to hate them when you anthropomorphize* one.
What a wrong right word to see in a post.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:40 AM   #18
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Mattsius, do you have a clue where/if you can buy Bad Mojo Redux in any finnish shops?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:33 AM   #19
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
Mattsius, do you have a clue where/if you can buy Bad Mojo Redux in any finnish shops?
I'm not sure if it will get released in Europe at all. I don't think it's out now anyway. For now your best bet would probably be the Got Game site.

If anyone else has more info on this, please share.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #20
Hopeful skeptic

To the best of my knowledge, there is no current plan to release the game outside North America. That could change, of course - particularly if the game does well here.

For now, I can suggest ordering from InteractCD, which offers overseas shipping.