You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback images vs numbers (review stars)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #1

Default images vs numbers (review stars)

I just found this group. I used to have a few text/graphic whodunit games. I joined this group to find out how Deja Vu ended. I don't think I ever made it a block from the bar.

Anyways....

This is about feedback about the site. Obviously it's been years, but I haven't lost interest in a good mystery.
To that end I saved a copy of the rating page. Basically to see which ones are 5 star vs bird cage liners.

I have the horsepower to view it as an html file off line, and I suppose I can find something that can manipulate the page to sort them by rating, but text won't do it. the images aren't there to sort on.

Pretty as the stars are.. Maybe you could replace the gold stars with '*' text stars ?

You'd still have the stars, they'd just now work as a text copy of the page as sortable reviews...

From what I've seen of the site so far I give the site 5 *'s.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum!

I edited the title of your post so it's a little clearer what you're asking. Is the problem that once you save the page, the image of the stars isn't displaying anymore? Would it help if there were an 'alt' tag in the source, so if the image didn't display you'd see text that said "2.5 stars" (or whatever the score was)?

-emily
Old 12-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Friendly Server Admin

Yeah. We're definitely not replacing the star images with ASCII of any sort. For one thing, there'd be no way to do a half star. But mostly, it's ugly. We could throw in an alt tag if there isn't one there already, but that's probably about it.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
CSY

" I suppose I can find something that can manipulate the page to sort them by rating, but text won't do it."

sounds to me he wants a textrepesentation of the stars to sort the reviews by rating
Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 PM   #5
Friendly Server Admin

Oh, well, if all he wants is a way to sort the reviews page, then that's coming in the next major site update
Old 12-15-2004, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Oh, well, if all he wants is a way to sort the reviews page, then that's coming in the next major site update
Yeah I grabbed the review page 1st as a text copy
CTRL-A, CTRL-C, CTRL-V into editor
No ratings appear because they were images.
Saved it as html.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Yeah. We're definitely not replacing the star images with ASCII of any sort. For one thing, there'd be no way to do a half star. But mostly, it's ugly. We could throw in an alt tag if there isn't one there already, but that's probably about it.
Ugly ?
http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/links.htm

check out the ratings on the TVTome link from the link above. I used yellow stars '*'. As for half a star ? Why bother with halvsies. 5 is better than 4.

No I don't get any kickbacks on how many sites I can convert to use text stars instead of image ratings.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbminfo
Ugly ?
http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/links.htm

check out the ratings on the TVTome link from the link above. I used yellow stars '*'. As for half a star ? Why bother with halvsies. 5 is better than 4.

No I don't get any kickbacks on how many sites I can convert to use text stars instead of image ratings.
Sorry, but I find that both ugly and unreadable. And half stars make the score more precise. Besides, it would be one hell of job converting all the existing reviews into full stars only. It's not worth the effort and why do it at all is beyond me.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
Sorry, but I find that both ugly and unreadable. And half stars make the score more precise. Besides, it would be one hell of job converting all the existing reviews into full stars only. It's not worth the effort and why do it at all is beyond me.
Why ? Well I wouldn't expect this message board to grow to IMDB size requiring a huge database and capable of being sorted on hundreds of different fields, but ratings are an important part of this site and images alone as ratings just aren't usable. Ugly On my site I have to agree. gold text on the blue background sucks.

Yellow text stars on this sites background might look just fine.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #10
Doctor Watson

Why would you want to do it anyway?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I personally think adding an alt tag is important (and no, Doug, I don't think there's one there right now) because sometimes graphics don't load for whatever reason (although those stars are pretty small graphics). But considering a sortable review database IS in the works, maybe we should wait and see what Marek and Doug come up with.

-emily