You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Simon the Sorcerer 3D Flashback Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 01:42 AM   #1
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default Simon the Sorcerer 3D Flashback Review

Now, it may just be because he's British and has the name Robert, but I found myself agreeing with so much of what Rob had to say. Especially the guilty pleasure bit.

So yeah, kudos for a good review that made me want to go back and finish the last 20 minutes of the game!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-25-2004, 02:38 AM   #2
Evil Webmaster

Yeah, too bad it didn't have the same effect for me, I still think I wasted money on that game.

Btw, I think the crash/bugs were also worth mentioning, I had to do terrible things to make Simon 3d run... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
So there you go
Old 10-25-2004, 03:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Now, it may just be because he's British and has the name Robert, but I found myself agreeing with so much of what Rob had to say. Especially the guilty pleasure bit.

So yeah, kudos for a good review that made me want to go back and finish the last 20 minutes of the game!
Agreed. Except that I probably have more than 20minutes to play. More like a few hours.
Oh, and I found the puzzles to be more illogical in 3D than in 1 and 2...
Old 10-25-2004, 03:37 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I played through the game recently and can definitely agree with the game getting three stars. I played the game out of sheer curiosity, but was pleasantly surprised.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

For those that enjoyed the game, do you think you'd have enjoyed it as much if you hadn't played the other two?

Rob's review makes me want to take a look at this game, but I've never played a Simon game... should I try this one?

-emily
Old 10-25-2004, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
For those that enjoyed the game, do you think you'd have enjoyed it as much if you hadn't played the other two?

Rob's review makes me want to take a look at this game, but I've never played a Simon game... should I try this one?

-emily
No. You should play the first 2. And then play 3D.
Simon 1 and 2 are two jewels, and I honestly don't see the point of playing 3D if you haven't played the first 2.

Man, first Monkey Island, then Simon the Sorcerer... You're really asking for a panning party, aren't you? Of course, you said you finally got to play MI, so it's probably not too late to save yourself.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

I completely agree with Ninth about playing 1 & 2 first. I'm glad to see Rob gave the game some oft-overlooked credit, but you'd really need to be a Simon fan to look past its failings. Throw in the fact that 3D's plot is pretty dependent on an understanding of the previous games, and you have zero reason to play it as a standalone title.

I think the first two are still available from the Adventuresoft website. Even better is that they've released a patch for each game to run well in XP.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:17 AM   #8
Staff Member

Send a message via MSN to the_noise

Thanks for the feedback guys, especially Rob. Rule Brittania and all that.

It was always going to be a contreversial one to write. I'm glad the majority of you think the same as me. Shows that there's life in the old dog left.

You're right about the Bugs, but like i said it's yet another negative point that's been written about again and again. Plus if you go to Simon3D.com, they've got a patch that cleans up the majority of Bugs.

I cannot stress highly enough the importance of playing the first 2 before this game. They are infinitely better games and must be played to be able to understand the third. You can still buy them from adventuresoft.com so there's no need to fuss around with ebay. Plus, in addition to the patch that allows them to work with windowsXP you can install them permanently into SCUMMVM.

Rob
Old 10-26-2004, 08:31 AM   #9
Evil Webmaster

Yeah, you're right, it's another negative point much too blabbed about, still I think it was worth mentioning them, along with the patch.

Also I didn't find Simon's voice THAT annoying, in none of the three games, but then again maybe I'm too forgiving towards english voices. I played too many adventures dubbed in italian.

*sigh*
So there you go
Old 10-26-2004, 10:04 AM   #10
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Told you so!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #11
Bearly Here

And I am glad you did AGA...

I played Simon 3D without the patch. It had bugs, arcade puzzles from hell, demonic arcade puzzles, It crashed every other time I went to the load screen, the graphics looked like someone strangled the 3D modelers while they were working, you had to go everywhere- back and forth - many many times, did I menton psychotically designed puzzles like:follow the critter through quick sand - I never thought anyone could design a keyboard based game that incorporated that oh so terrible pixel hunting feeling.

and..and...and.......

I am one sick puppy because I still loved so much about this game. The characters, the dialogues, it was just so bratty/campy feeling and there were a number of very original engaging puzzles and oooh that end puzzle well it still makes me happy just thinking about it.

So,

Thanks for the reminder Robert and glad to see Simon 3D resurrected for all it's schizo delights and torments.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:21 PM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I think this just goes to show that most of the people who loath Simon 3D are the ones that haven't actually played it...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 AM   #13
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

The old adage "don't judge a book by its cover" is particularly applicable here...