You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Nibiru Preview

Thanks for the preview, Kirk. I've heard the name, but there hasn't been a whole lot of buzz about this game. Good to see it getting more press. If the right lessons were learned from Black Mirror, Nibiru could really be a sleeper hit.

Smart idea, really, to rework an existing game. Provides all the benefits of fan feedback, yet is still entirely new to most of the world.

You're right that some people will bristle over shortening the game length, but if the decision was based on player input, then I'm all for it. Better pacing and tighter narrative is much more important than a couple hours of useless filler.

Gotta say, though... the name kinda bites. I want to like it for being different, but I don't.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #2

Really looking forward to this game! I enjoyed TBM but it did have some rough edges. The screens look awesome and the story sound interesting.
Quote:
Storyline

The Czech Republic, Western Bohemia
During construction of a new highway bypass, workers discovered an entrance to an old tunnel. After they entered the tunnel, they found out that it was probably a German tunnel intentionally backfilled in the end of the World War II. They called an employee of the Western Bohemian Museum who informed the superior body in Prague about the finding. The news about the discovery of the tunnel is published by the regional press on the next day and it gets - thanks to the absence of "more interesting" news from the area of catastrophes or of other news interesting for tabloids - also to the main evening TV news on another day.

France
Professor Wilde sits by his table in the workroom and goes through the press summary from the last week. He becomes interested in several news. He dedicated more than 20 minutes of work with computer and books to one of them. Professor Wild picks up the phone receiver and dials a number.

Martin Holan is Czech. Thanks to support of his uncle Professor Wild, he studies archaeology and linguistics in France. His uncle has just asked him to make a small trip home, to Bohemia. Martin Holan shall meet in Prague in line with his uncle's instructions with a friend of his uncle that shall hand him over a permit for the archeologist to enter the discovered German tunnel. Uncle's contact, however, did not come to the meeting and Martin therefore went to her flat. He found the young woman who should have given him the permit to enter the tunnel dead in her flat and the flat has been searched. A trip to his fatherland and a banal prospecting of a German tunnel from the end of the war therefore changes into a story full of unexpected events and turns. Martin gradually begins to face the biggest adventure of his life. The originally harmless trip to wonderful night Prague changes into a dangerous search for ancient alien civilization whose tracks have been hidden by time. Everything started during the World War II. when Germans, in their quest for omnipotent weapons and inexhaustible resources that they had hoped would help their war machinery, found first fragments of ancient secrets. During his thrilling journey from Prague to the dark spaces of Maya pyramids, Martin will look into the mirror of the past. He will also find out that it is not only him and his uncle who cannot sleep because of ancient secrets. Will Martin during the plot full of tension and mystical atmosphere succeed in fulfilling the old dream of his uncle Professor Wilde to solve the secrets of the long ago dead nation of Mayas? It seems at least for now that everything is carefully hidden in the endless depth of past times.
I wouldn't have minded a longer game, but if the pace is good and there's plenty to do then I definately won't mind, TBM felt a bit too lengthy anyhow. Anyone here played the original MOTG game? And yeah the name could be one of the game's weaknesses, it sounds like just about any other first person myst type game there is. The Black Mirror was a much better name
Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #3

I read the preview yesterday, and I am pleased to know that the creators of The Black Mirror are making another adventure game. I'm not sure if I like the idea of the game being a little short this time, but then again, it may not be a problem if the game's pacing is good, and the story also sounds intriguing.

Overall, I am looking forward to this game, and I hope to hear more news about it, specifically if it gets a North American publisher.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:19 AM   #4

By the way,jjacob, I'm sorry if my post sounds very similar to yours. I was just trying to show my impressions of this game, that's all.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
By the way,jjacob, I'm sorry if my post sounds very similar to yours. I was just trying to show my impressions of this game, that's all.
I will never forgive you. btw what else was there to be said, mine in turn sounded like Jackals as well so..

I don't even remember TBM being 800x600, I just remember beautiful and eery backdrops (and bad voice acting heh), and this game is going to be 1024x768
Old 10-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #6

Nibiru is my new "I can't wait for it to go out" game, because I loved the Black Mirror. Unfortunately, since the Black Mirror was full with potentially destructive ideas (like the fact that you have to wander around beore something happens...), it could very well be a big disappointment.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:46 AM   #7
Evil Webmaster

Well, everybody always say that they learned from fans feedback, if this time was true I'm sure we shouldn't be worrying about the 'come back later' puzzles or dead ends.

But unfortunately I'm not so sure this time is true, maybe being a small software house and all... erm erm...
So there you go