You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
peb
Colossal

Default Chit chat posts

Just out of curiousity, why don't posts made in the Chit Chat forum count towards someone's post count? Is it a policy made by the AG staff? Not that I'm trying to inflate my mediocre post count with all my Chit Chat posts.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Mostly absent

Chit Chat posts are often short and doesn't necessarily contain very much info. There are of course exceptions, but overall, that's the drill. These forums are mainly about games and adventure games in particular, and if the Chit Chat posts would count, some users post count would multiply. Then the post count wouldn't represent the contribution a user has made to the forums as well as without the Chit Chat posts.

In my personal opinion the Chit Chat section plays a vital role in making this community as close and friendly as it is, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Chit Chat posts should count though.

This was the unofficial version. The official version will probably be delivered shortly.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
Chit Chat posts are often short and doesn't necessarily contain very much info. There are of course exceptions, but overall, that's the drill. These forums are mainly about games and adventure games in particular, and if the Chit Chat posts would count, some users post count would multiply. Then the post count wouldn't represent the contribution a user has made to the forums as well as without the Chit Chat posts.

In my personal opinion the Chit Chat section plays a vital role in making this community as close and friendly as it is, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Chit Chat posts should count though.

This was the unofficial version. The official version will probably be delivered shortly.
then you have people like the so-not-aptly-named gaming bastard who posts political rants in the chit chat but has yet to make an actual gaming related post...maybe he is a plant by the gov't
Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 AM   #4
merely human

Simple. This is a gaming community, people who join want to talk games. You can tell how much into it they are by the amount of their posts. If Chit Chat posts were included in that amount you wouldn't be able to know.

We've had people here who almost exclusively posted in the Chit Chat section, I imagine they care very little about games in general, and adventure games in particular. That's a bit annoying to me personally, because there are other communities out there whose sole purpose is nothing but socializing in general, why come here, then? Conversely, there are regulars here who post almost exclusively in the adventure game section and never in Chit Chat, I consider them not very friendly in that respect, it's as if they don't give a damn about someone unless s/he only talks about adventure games.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Simple. This is a gaming community, people who join want to talk games. You can tell how much into it they are by the amount of their posts. If Chit Chat posts were included in that amount you wouldn't be able to know.

We've had people here who almost exclusively posted in the Chit Chat section, I imagine they care very little about games in general, and adventure games in particular. That's a bit annoying to me personally, because there are other communities out there whose sole purpose is nothing but socializing in general, why come here, then? Conversely, there are regulars here who post almost exclusively in the adventure game section and never in Chit Chat, I consider them not very friendly in that respect, it's as if they don't give a damn about someone unless s/he only talks about adventure games.
then there are those other sons-a-bitches that post often in both gaming and chit chat threads but never have anything worthwhile to say...that Log P feller for instance...i cant stand him
Old 09-21-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
merely human

really? Hmmm, I always thought he was kinda cute. I hope his real name isn't Robert, though.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
really? Hmmm, I always thought he was kinda cute. I hope his real name isn't Robert, though.
its Patricia...and i still dont like him!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:57 PM   #8
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Conversely, there are regulars here who post almost exclusively in the adventure game section and never in Chit Chat, I consider them not very friendly in that respect, it's as if they don't give a damn about someone unless s/he only talks about adventure games.
You know, I AM still in the room Beiddie.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 09-21-2004, 10:24 PM   #9
guybrush_guy

i never chat in the chit chat, it's not for any pituclar reason. i dont realy have much to say. i do read up in the chit chat once and a wile just to see what going on.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:15 AM   #10
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
You know, I AM still in the room Beiddie.
Someone's going to get a smaller paycheck at the end of this month.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:56 AM   #11
merely human

:eek: I'm being payed? Payed?!! No one told me about it.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #12
pain is love

Quote:
:eek: I'm being payed? Payed?!! No one told me about it.
here, take as much as you need!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 AM   #13
merely human

Cool!! [takes money, buys Park Place and a hotel on it, rolls dice, passes GO! and collects another $200]

Here you go, Evan! [gives the $200 to charity...that is, Evan's open hand]
Old 09-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #14
pain is love

Here, I'll toss this in too, just in case all that money corrupts you!

by_100ja
Old 09-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #15
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Conversely, there are regulars here who post almost exclusively in the adventure game section and never in Chit Chat, I consider them not very friendly in that respect, it's as if they don't give a damn about someone unless s/he only talks about adventure games.
Unfortunately I find very few Chit-chat threads that are very interesting. I do make a contribution there from time to time, though, but not very much.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-23-2004, 01:41 AM   #16
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Unfortunately I find very few Chit-chat threads that are very interesting. I do make a contribution there from time to time, though, but not very much.
Thanks for the status report.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #17
i'm with... <thud>

sometimes i find myself in a chit-chatty jolly mood...other times i like to curse at people from my fingertips for no good reason...still other times i like to discuss gaming...i am truly mulit-faceted
Old 09-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #18
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Thanks for the status report.
You're welcome. Hope I didn't make you too happy with that post.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #19

Quote:
I find that a bit harsh.
I don't often post in the chit-chat section (mostly because I don't have anything to add, and I'm still a bit slow on all the in-jokes), but I hope that doesn't make anyone consider me unfriendly in any way.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:30 AM   #20
pain is love

We should all give nordic a hug!
(( nordic ))

by_100ja