You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Getting rid of old reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default Getting rid of old reviews

A question about adventuregamers.com review policy: more than once (now with Simon the Sorcerer 2) you replaced the review present on the site with a new one. Is there pattern as to which articles are erased (I remember Evan explaining that in the case of Gabriel Knight 3, the review had been posted on another site)? I'm just curious.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Retirement is stupid

We have a lot of very old reviews on our site that are not of very high quality. They were written by staff members who have long since departed, and were written back when there wasn't really any editorial system in place. We leave these reviews up for the sake of completeness--assuming it's better to have a poorly written Simon 2 review than not at all--but I'm always looking to replace them. When a writer wants to review a game that we already have a review of, I handle it case-by-case. If the review is older than May of 2002 (i.e. from the adventuregamer.com days) and the writer is no longer around I usually don't have a problem replacing it, and that was the case with Simon.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 09-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Dungeon Master

Thanks

But, for sake of, say, historical accuracy, could not the removed reviews be preserved somewhere? In a site museum of sorts?
Old 09-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I still have old versions of the site all backed up. Maybe someday I'll upload some snapshots of AG throughout its history, but I'm not sure if I want all that old content to strike back and freely roam the intarweb once more.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:42 PM   #5
guybrush_guy

what was the reason for that down time? server problems?

Old 09-18-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Retirement is stupid

The uber-short version:

We (adventuregamer.com) used to be hosted by Telefragged. Somewhere around May of 2001 we went through a very ugly domain name dispute and all heck broke loose, so we went out the backdoor to our new adventuregamers.com server. We also decided it was as good a time as any to ditch our ugly old design and awful html backbone and implement a php-driven database. Unfortunately, we went through two totally useless programmers who both went AWOL about four months into the project, lying to us all the while about the progress they were making, before finally discovering, abducting, and brainwashing Doug Tabacco, and when all was said and done we reopened in fine shape for E3 2002.

Those were the days. *shiver*

Old 09-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
guybrush_guy

sounds like a computer programed version of hell

Old 09-18-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
Friendly Server Admin

Aww... you left out the LFN tale of server woe.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:37 AM   #9
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Just to address Jim's now-deleted question (don't worry, it's not controversial), we switched domain names from adventuregamer.com and adventuregamers.com because of some legal disputes with TeleFragged, our host at the time. Eventually their system administrator used the mail-to authentication that Network Solutions then still had to impersonate one of us and approve the transferral of the domain ownership to TeleFragged... without us knowing about it! So basically, we were hacked. I was screwed and forced to relocate the site. A couple of months later, TeleFragged sold the domain to Dreamcatcher.

What a history that was. Fortunately, with the arrival of Doug Tabacco and a new server, a new age of peace and stability arrived.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:23 AM   #10
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
What a history that was. Fortunately, with the arrival of Doug Tabacco and a new server, a new age of peace and stability arrived.
Until we reopened the forums...

Old 09-19-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Just to address Jim's now-deleted question (don't worry, it's not controversial), we switched domain names from adventuregamer.com and adventuregamers.com because of some legal disputes with TeleFragged, our host at the time. Eventually their system administrator used the mail-to authentication that Network Solutions then still had to impersonate one of us and approve the transferral of the domain ownership to TeleFragged... without us knowing about it! So basically, we were hacked. I was screwed and forced to relocate the site. A couple of months later, TeleFragged sold the domain to Dreamcatcher.

Thanks, Marek. Glad you caught it. I really was afraid that it might be too controversial (or too painful) for the forum, so I chose to delete it.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Telefragged's one and only goal is to screw people. Both Mixnmojo and AG were hosted on Telefragged at one point (the fact that Mojo got hosting first was in fact a sore point between the Mojo staffers and Lasse, Marek's former co-conspirator, leading the sites to be "rivals" for a bit but that's beside the point ).

At one point, Telefragged decided they were going to refocus, or that they just didn't like us, so despite us having a very clear agreement with them and with our advertising partner at the time they told us we had 24 hours to move our entire site off their network or they'd delete it. That turned Mixnmojo into a hobo for about 3 or 4 months. After that it was not surprising when they stole Marek's domain name.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #13
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Until we reopened the forums...
Indeed.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #14
Protector of the Seal

Of course, if you want old stuff, there's always this and this.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:05 AM   #15
Babbling as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molgera
Of course, if you want old stuff, there's always this and this.
I love that site. I rescued at least three revisions of my old website from it that I had thought were forever lost to the ether.

I'd be interested in seeing a "History of Adventure Gamers" feature sometime in the future.

"Downtimes, redesigns, and conflict, oh my!"