You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Booby Trap preview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 12:35 AM   #1

Default Booby Trap preview

http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=380

I've just read the preview for Jane Jensen's new game Booby Trap. It sounds pretty interesting, but I don't think I can get as excited over this as much as Project Jane-J or Gray Matter or whatever you want to call it. It's pretty cool how she's trying to get a new demographic into adventure games and its worth doing, but I guess I'm still pretty angry about Gray Matter being put on indefinate hold. The gameplay sounds sort of fun and worth playing and the story gives an added incentive. Thanks for the preview. This years E3 coverage has been pretty good. Even though we have to wait for the content, it's definately worth it when you guys publish it.

Has Adventure Gamers got more info on Gray Matter? You mentioned it a little in the preview, but is there anything else you guys talked about during your interview relating to this game?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Good preview Stinger, can we look forward to a full interview from E3 in the future too?

Anyway the idea is very interesting and appealing. I had no idea 80% of the casual gamers were women over 35. Jane seems to have suggested that this is the key audience for adventures before, so it'll be interesting to see how Booby Trap fairs. More interesting still is the market research they have done, finding that casual gamers are looking for stories, characters and settings.

Most reassuring of all, however, is that Inspector Parker cost "well under $100,000" and made that all back within 3 months. That means that sales of only around 5000 ($20 a purchase) would be required for break even, but more importantly that many many more people played the game (Am I right in thinking the % of people who buy casual games is generally very small compared to those who try them?). An adventure game could get that same exposure and potentially many more sales because people would need more than the 60min trial period to finish the game. And with Jane Jensen designing the game I'm in no doubt she'll be able to draw people into the game world and thus convince people to buy, and most importantly enjoy, it. If I had the money, thats a business prospect I'd probably buy into

P.S. I had no idea Jane Jensen designed Inspector Parker; she is one talented woman isn't she.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:33 AM   #3
Jumping peanut on a stick

It looks very interesting and i too think internet adventures are a move in right direction.
Still, despite promising premise, i'm a bit surprised this game came so high on hype-o-meter... Name Jane Jensen is obviously doing miracles
Old 05-20-2004, 04:33 AM   #4
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor
Name Jane Jensen is obviously doing miracles
Yes indeed, and I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing.

I wonder if this game would've gotten ANY attention at all if it weren't developed by Jensen. And if it had, I wonder if it'd be so positive.

--Erwin
Old 05-20-2004, 06:32 AM   #5
lemonhead11

But keep in mind that if this was a fantastic game and didn't have the Jensen name on it, it could have been ignored and fallen by the wayside. Now it will at least get exposure so we can pass judgement on it's quality when it comes out.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:48 AM   #6
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Yes indeed, and I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing.

I wonder if this game would've gotten ANY attention at all if it weren't developed by Jensen. And if it had, I wonder if it'd be so positive.
Jensen has earned every bit of seemingly undeserved attention she's getting. Her track record is perfect. She's never made a bad game; she's never even made a mediocre game. If Jane Jensen is designing something, then it's almost a sure bet it's going to be quality, because we all know she won't stand for anything less. So I don't think what you're implying is such a bad thing.

We talked about Gray Matter a bit more, but decided that it's not in anyone's best interest to dwell on the past in our article. We do that too much as a community already. There's still a lot of hope it will be completed someday.

Dom, there will not be a separate interview article because the majority of the subjects we discussed were either directly related to Booby Trap, or involved me being a raving fanboy. So an actual interview would be redundant.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 05-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that Jane Jensen didn't design inspector parker. The problem with IP for me was that I finished the game in its highest difficulty level in the trial period(an hour or two, I dont remember). Good to hear that in 'adventure mode' there will be more than 20 hours of gameplay.

Quote:
She's never made a bad game; she's never even made a mediocre game.
Jane jensen designed the Eco Quest series, and while the second one is one of my all-time favourites, I don't think that the first one, "the search for cetus" was up to this level. However, those are just educational games.

A thing I like about 'booby trap' is that it will have 2d graphics(due to the low budget, obviously). Not something that appeals to the mass audience nowadays but something that certainly an old school gamer such as I would like.

At the end of the day, nice preview,thumbs up and keep up the good work.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
guybrush_guy

very nice preview,

i did enjoy the read, the game sounds cool, just, does'nt look like it's my cup of tea. it's kinda early to tell, so i realy should'nt be juding how i'm going to like the game. i guess i'll only know when it comes out..other then that. great writing!

Old 05-20-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
Jumping peanut on a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
A thing I like about 'booby trap' is that it will have 2d graphics(due to the low budget, obviously). Not something that appeals to the mass audience nowadays but something that certainly an old school gamer such as I would like.
2d graphics are quite common in Flash games- for example recent Scooby Doo adventures.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Jane jensen designed the Eco Quest series, and while the second one is one of my all-time favourites, I don't think that the first one, "the search for cetus" was up to this level. However, those are just educational games.
Jane was only involved in the first game "the search for Cetus"

She was one of two Game designers of Ecoquest 1, the other one was Gano Haine

I like both Ecoquests, they are great games, but I especially love Ecoquest 2: The Secret of the Rainforest. Now that game is a legend.

"This place is like a sewer"

Ahh those selected digitized speech bits.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #11
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that Jane Jensen didn't design inspector parker.
You're wrong. I did specifically ask her what her involvement was and she was the designer of the game.

- Evan

Old 05-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #12
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
You're wrong. I did specifically ask her what her involvement was and she was the designer of the game.
The next time you see her, tell her it was too easy.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:17 AM   #13
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Well, it's my mistake then. And whats that happy smiley after 'You're wrong', eh Stinger?
Old 05-21-2004, 01:32 AM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Jensen has earned every bit of seemingly undeserved attention she's getting. Her track record is perfect. She's never made a bad game; she's never even made a mediocre game.
I have to ask, Evan, if you've actually played Inspector Parker. It is at BEST a mediocre game. It is, essentially, a mindless solitaire version of Clue or the logic problems found in Dell puzzle magazines. Except that in I.P., the cursor actually does all the work for you, eliminating impossible choices as you tediously but mindlessly fill in the correct ones. When you factor in that the entire game can be completed in less than three hours (if you can stay awake through three hours of it) and Oberon is charging $20 for it, even calling it "mediocre" becomes a kindness.

I'm sure this is gonna get me flamed, but the last thing on earth I want to see is another "casual game" from Jane. I found Inspector Parker to be a disappointing failure on almost every level.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:18 AM   #15

I've got to disagree with you, BJ, though I shall try to avoid flamingses.

I enjoy logic puzzles such as were found in IP. I believe there was an option to turn off the auto-highlighting thing. It is, however, just a personal opinion. I think it's just going to be one of those games that you love or hate.

I do agree with you that it isn't worth 20 bucks American, though.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:15 AM   #16
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that Jane Jensen didn't design inspector parker. The problem with IP for me was that I finished the game in its highest difficulty level in the trial period(an hour or two, I dont remember). Good to hear that in 'adventure mode' there will be more than 20 hours of gameplay.
Shes in the credits for the game as Designer. And interestingly Robert Holmes is credited for the musical score.

And I disagree with Bicardi Jim and Dragonnose. I think it's a nice little game, and it does whats its supposed to - offer you something to spend a little time on when you have a free moment. I like it to be honest; I've found the problem solving relaxing even if it is fairly easy.

While I understand your concerns but as far as I'm concerned the last thing I want to see from Jane Jensen is not games at all. If it's games made for the casual market for a few years then thats fine with me; the period since GK3 hasn't exactly been that great for the genre and to have Jensen back in this way is a good thing.

Anyway the genre is certainly picking up at the moment, in a year or two who knows - she could be in a position to be making adventure games again thanks to this business venture. Or maybe even Microids or somebody could pick up where TAC left off - who knows; it's a wierd world.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:28 AM   #17
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
yadayadayada ...
I found Inspector Parker to be a disappointing failure on almost every level.
I completely agree with that. Though I still have some hope for Booby Trap.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:30 AM   #18
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
I have to ask, Evan, if you've actually played Inspector Parker. It is at BEST a mediocre game. It is, essentially, a mindless solitaire version of Clue or the logic problems found in Dell puzzle magazines. Except that in I.P., the cursor actually does all the work for you, eliminating impossible choices as you tediously but mindlessly fill in the correct ones. When you factor in that the entire game can be completed in less than three hours (if you can stay awake through three hours of it) and Oberon is charging $20 for it, even calling it "mediocre" becomes a kindness.
Well, I think most of what you said (mindless, short, overpriced) is true of pretty much the entire casual game market. IP, I think, at least has more charm and sparkle than most casual games. Though I never actually played it past the trial hour. So I think IP is good for what it is.

I should have clarified, though; Jensen has never made a mediocre adventure game, and that's what Booby Trap is.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #19
Banned User

That is certainly a fair enough assessment and rewording. It didn't "sparkle" for me, but "sparkle" is a pretty subjective factor.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:12 PM   #20
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
That is certainly a fair enough assessment and rewording. It didn't "sparkle" for me, but "sparkle" is a pretty subjective factor.
Yeah, and I'm not sure how many casual games you play, but to me they're ALL so hollow. It's the same word twist, or colored balls, and it's completely mindless. At least with IP, there's actual characters, and something happening, and a bit of innocent humor...it sparkles in comparison to this week's RealArcade Top 10.

- Evan