Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Offer your advice (improving our beloved AG Site) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/30671-offer-your-advice-improving-our-beloved-ag-site.html)

Adventurere No.1 03-18-2012 10:12 AM

Offer your advice (improving our beloved AG Site)

hi everyone and especially posters who hate me! :D (a big foolish smile)

i see in the last 6 months that all famous sites (not necessarily concerning Games) are updating their platforms (FB,Myspace,Gmail ...and whatever) and our beloved AG's had the same platform for more like 2-3 years (i am not sure)

anyways i would like to open this thread that can make me and other posters here say and share whatever they think that would be great and an upgrade for AG Site.

1st about the scene of the week ,i think the Site would be running out of memorable games sooner or later ,unless you are about to repeat some you already showed, so anyway i suggest that this one could be the scene of the month instead ,dedicated only to the memorable games and there would be another one that can be for a new Games (just about to be released) ,which can hold/show one game maybe of the Hype-o-Meter that give a chance to all posters to share their expectations and information and release date about it beside the preview section.

2nd the review hot key has ratings, production date, article date so what about genre too, i sometimes want to look up for drama games or Cartoon games for example which might be the mood i am craving for right now. and that can make searching for games much fun.

P.S:this thread not to be taken for what i advice ,but it is an idea to open some sort of connection for all posters to share and give their advices that would make this Site Expand for the sake of Adventure Scene !

I wasn't sure where to start this thread, so if should be moved to another forum ...then accept my apologies

Lucien21 03-18-2012 10:26 AM

Tabacco and the rest of the staff do a great job with the resources that they have available.

They are working on improvements in the background and i'm sure given more time and resources they would love to put in place a lot of new features.

For me personally i'd love to see more user interaction on the main site. Maybe a wiki style database where us users could contribute information about the games as well as adding screenshots and videos. A Database where you could submit your own reviews and scores etc so that a Users score would sit alongside the official score.

I would also love to see a personal space where you could list or have a shelfspace of games you own, create blog posts and articles about your favourite games etc.

Basically a mix between Giant Bomb and LibraryThing.

Jackal 03-18-2012 02:35 PM

We're actually planning a significant site update in the non-too-distant future. But it's been a long, slow process just to reach this point and we're not quite done yet.

Some of the ideas mentioned above will be included, plus quite a bit more.

Adventurere No.1 03-18-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 604177)
We're actually planning a significant site update in the non-too-distant future. But it's been a long, slow process just to reach this point and we're not quite done yet.

Some of the ideas mentioned above will be included, plus quite a bit more.

that is such great news ,
hope you would not keep us waiting for very long though.

Adventurere No.1 03-20-2012 07:37 AM

Time to Expand The Facebook page .
with Only 4,408 Likes and 41,838 real members here sounds much little

Marek 03-20-2012 07:43 AM

We're planning to have a more prominent "like us on Facebook" button on the site.

Keep in mind though that those 41k+ members accumulated over many years, and not everyone is an active user.

Adventurere No.1 03-29-2012 01:31 PM

Guys about your upcoming upgrading ,did you ever think of a Difficulty statues in that game's details box with games reviews ....something (Easy,Fair,Hard and challenging) !?

Jackal 03-29-2012 06:27 PM

Difficulty is very subjective, so that's not something I see us doing. Besides, that's what the reviews are for. :D

zane 03-29-2012 06:39 PM

Theres really too many games with too many different shades of difficulties to stamp on a rubric. Whats hard for one person is a breeze for another. One word just isnt enough to explain difficulty.

lewuz 03-29-2012 06:40 PM

Progress dont bring always good results. Regarding websites, see what happened with imdb look (luckily there still is old look). For me adventuregamers.com is near perfect.

I do miss clickable tags though sometimes to find games from same category as Advie1 mentioned.

Regarding Lucien21 idea - why? I mean there are already so many sites where u can do those things, eg moby and gamespot. Personally i cant see the point why to reinvent the wheel. Why spend resources if opportunities already exist.
At the same time, genre specific site where one could create personal track list, eg for upcoming games, do have positive sides.

No offence to anyone. All i want to say we should be careful with changes we wish.

Marek 03-30-2012 12:29 AM

We're certainly mindful of not trying to fix things that aren't broken, and we're also making sure that what we do change is well implemented (which admittedly we haven't always done in the past, as exemplified by our still rather crummy Games A-Z index... sorry!).

That isn't to say you might not be a bit disoriented initially when we relaunch the site ... new designs always take some time getting used to, and I've never seen a site relaunch anywhere without at least some level of complaint. :)

We're not including a wiki style database or personal game tracking in our plans now, but it's stuff we may look into in the future. Keep in mind though it's not trivial to implement in a properly integrated way (the way sites like giantbomb have) especially given our limited resources.

I do think wikified AG game pages could be very worthwhile as places like giantbomb only have good pages for the best known adventure games, and the adventure game wikia that someone started a few years ago never really took off -- whereas at AG we'd have the existing community to help make it work. It's a distant possibility though as ideally we'd want to integrate it well rather than run a seperate off-the-shelf wiki.

Adventurere No.1 03-30-2012 09:55 AM

i was thinking of a reader's rating that can follow the reviewer rating's maybe within a week or two,

i dont know how this would work but i have a idea of that whenever a new game get reviewed, should also have a poll for reader's rating's within too.

in the end all new games would have, Reviewer's Rating and Readers Rating.

i guess this shouldn't be difficult and i wouldn't bother about all those already reviewed games as that would make a big super huge mess!!

IMO

diego 03-30-2012 02:58 PM

• Maybe it wouldn't be bad to have some kind of "sub-genre" categorizations, not only the usual mysteries, comedies... but also similar to what the old Home of the Underdogs site did - Grand Adventure, History, Detective games...

• The "Scene of the Week" seems to be gaining in popularity, but it's still kinda obscure feature. I would put it even a bit higher on the main page, and maybe brought the "voting stars" for it, beside the option to leave comments. Also, i would love to see staff putting their comments on the scene, why is it that the scene rises above others in game etc.

• I know the "time is tight", but more articles would be welcomed.

Kurufinwe 03-30-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 605509)
Maybe it wouldn't be bad to have some kind of "sub-genre" categorizations, not only the usual mysteries, comedies... but also similar to what the old Home of the Underdogs site did - Grand Adventure, History, Detective games...

Wow wow wow wow. Huge flashback incoming. :crazy:

(Quick search through my mail archive...)

Hah! Email from me to Jack back in October 2006 (bolding added):
I like the idea of having genre categories (or rather: tags, since a game can have several), but I agree that it's going to be tough to implement. We really need to establish a (rather limited) list of tags, and then stick to it. I think the type of settings should be the main way to sort things (sci-fi, fantasy, historical, etc.) (but then, what is Myst?), possibly with the tone too (horror, comedy, etc.) (but then, once again, what is Myst?). The list of themes at Underdogs might be a nice starting point (I especially like the use of some "transversal" categories, such as "licensed", or the very-practical "unique").
Great minds think alike. :D

And it did get implemented at some point (after I left the team). It's the "Theme" field on every game's page (see example). Of course, it's not searchable yet (unless you have some reasonable google-fu), but it's somewhere in the database.

(I can't even begin to imagine how much work it must have been to tag all the games on the site... Glad I was gone when that happened. :P)

EDIT: And the "Unique" tag even got implemented, and could act as a list of many of my favourite games. Now that makes my day.

diego 03-30-2012 03:37 PM

:D And yes, i probably haven't put it well - i know about the genres in game info, and i love to open those infos, though i was thinking of something more user-friendly and even more detailed. Yes, tags could work, or even simple "menu" reachable somewhere in the main page where you could list titles by predefined sub-genres. It wouldn't be such of a problem even if it doesn't list every little game there is, as forums are already full of "Similar games to..." threads.

Jackal 03-30-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 605509)
• I know the "time is tight", but more articles would be welcomed.

My head just exploded. :crazy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 605511)
And it did get implemented at some point (after I left the team). It's the "Theme" field on every game's page (see example). Of course, it's not searchable yet (unless you have some reasonable google-fu), but it's somewhere in the database.

(I can't even begin to imagine how much work it must have been to tag all the games on the site... Glad I was gone when that happened. :P)

Yup, our classification system has been revamped again recently in another internal overhaul. A few categories have been tweaked a bit but the "theme" category is new (it may still need some refinement, but should be close now).

Sadly, most of the games aren't tagged yet, except for those with direct connections to our old criteria. That still leaves thousands of games in the database with empty or incomplete theme fields now. The thought of going back and filling all those in just made my head explode again.

diego 03-30-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 605521)
My head just exploded. :crazy:

Hey, that wasn't criticism but a selfish endeavor - and i was referring to the articles delving into the genre issues, like thelast one, not the usual preview/review articles.

Jackal 03-31-2012 06:26 AM

Oh, I didn't take it as criticism, but the thought of more anything is daunting. We're way past the point of time being tight and well into it being near the breaking point. :crazy:

(That said, there is a new editorial planned for a few weeks from now.)

aimless 04-03-2012 12:23 PM

I don't know if this belongs here or not, but just so you know, Jackal, none of the links I tried in your Feature: What are Adventure Games? work.

Adventurere No.1 04-03-2012 01:05 PM

Here
i reported this to Jackel but i guess Jackel is so busy that he might had been exploded already :)