You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Some minor glitches in the AG site

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
3rd person fanatic :)

Default Some minor glitches in the AG site

Two things, that feel like a bug or just a lack of thought:

1. When searching the game database (Games A-Z) it doesn't include 0-9 listing. Review listing on the other hand - has it. Could you fix this? (Also - I think that the review listing is much more nice to use, because it doesn't have those annoying frames.)

2. When selecting the game from the database (or review database) and pressing the back-button from browser, it doesn't back to the alphabet I was searching, but pops back to "A". This is annoying. Could you fix it?

Thank you.

Last edited by MoonBird; 09-28-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: add. info
Old 09-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #2

One more thing that comes across like a bug or a lack of thought:

Adults are not allowed to work out their differences/misunderstandings/squabbles/whatevers... instead threads are shutdown and people are therefore unable to work things out or come to a better understanding.

Resentments build; insularity seeps deeper; reactionaries become more reactionary.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

MoonBird, the first problem is a glitch we know about, the second is a default software issue. But we're in the midst of a major overhaul of the whole database system, so they'll be fixed in the new system, but probably not before then. (Though hopefully it won't be too much longer anyway.)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
tsa
Playing character

Is that why the AG site sometimes is so v e r y s l o w Jackal? It sometimes takes ages to load a page. I am mainly on the forums so I don't know wether it's as bad on the other parts of the site.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Shouldn't be. As far as I know, all development work is being done completely outside of the normal operation of the site.

I haven't really noticed any slowdowns personally. If you can try to pinpoint when/where it's happening, that would be useful.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
3rd person fanatic :)

I haven't experienced any problems with loading, either, so it must be a local problem. Some internet router dead, for example
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Shouldn't be. As far as I know, all development work is being done completely outside of the normal operation of the site.

I haven't really noticed any slowdowns personally. If you can try to pinpoint when/where it's happening, that would be useful.
It's happening more or less randomly so if it's not the AG server it must be somewhere else along the way. Anyway, it will pass.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

I bump this thread because I still often have severe troubles getting on the forums. It often takes forever to post something, and I often get double posts or 'you have to wait between posts' errors. Sometimes it takes minutes before the page even loads. I tried with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and from different locations too, to make sure it's not my home network acting up. Am I the only one having these problems? And if so, why and what can I do to avoid them?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Grue Master

tsa

Just a thought, could it be your Internet provider? I don't seem to have any trouble with speed.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
tsa
Playing character

But if it was, other websites should also give these troubles, no?
Edit: it is an elusive problem in the sense that it doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes it can be pretty annoying.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
lost in rubacava

It's happened to me, too, tsa. I get a white page and Opera starts a countdown of the time it's taking to open. Sometimes I just give up and go somewhere else for a while.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
tsa
Playing character

Maybe it's a location problem. Are you also in Europe?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

I'd have thought perhaps it might be an ad that's having trouble loading on occasion (in in turn preventing the page from loading around it), but that shouldn't really apply to the forums. Kind of a mystery with so little to go on.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I'd have thought perhaps it might be an ad that's having trouble loading on occasion (in in turn preventing the page from loading around it), but that shouldn't really apply to the forums. Kind of a mystery with so little to go on.
Could it be Adblock choking on one of the ads? I'll switch it off and see if that helps.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Maybe it's a location problem. Are you also in Europe?
No, I'm in the US, tsa. Jackal, as tsa said, it's not a continual problem. It happens sporadically.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
I'd have thought perhaps it might be an ad that's having trouble loading on occasion (in in turn preventing the page from loading around it), but that shouldn't really apply to the forums.
But there are ads on the forum too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Could it be Adblock choking on one of the ads? I'll switch it off and see if that helps.
Why Ad Blocking is Devastating to the Sites You Love
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
But there are ads on the forum too.
True, but none that load from a completely external source, I believe. The Adventure Shop ads all run through our own server, unless I'm mistaken. (And when it comes to tech issues, I may very well be. )
Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
The Quiet One

I'm also experiencing strange issues with the site. At first, I thought it was the new version of Firefox (it may still be) - 8.0 - but I don't seem to be having issues with other sites so much. It seems to take longer than usual for the site to load up threads and post messages in the forums.

By the way, I'm not particularly happy with the new version of Firefox. Anyone else finding it somewhat slower than other versions?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #19
tsa
Playing character

I must say, since I have switched off Adblock on this site the problem seems to have gone away. I don't have to wait minutes anymore for a page to load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
Why Ad Blocking is Devastating to the Sites You Love
I don't mind ads as long as they don't blink or make noise or pop up. If an ad really annoys me then I will block it.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
lost in rubacava

It happened again just now, tsa. It took about 23 seconds for the site to load. I clicked on Adventure and after 2 solid minutes I gave up, backed out of the site completely and tried again. It only took about sixteen seconds to get back on the site this time. Surely this isn't happening only to me and you!

Btw, I don't use Adblock.