You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Top 20 Adventure Games Of All-Time!!1!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 06:16 AM   #121
Squeaky

OK, I'm probably baring my ass for a flaming here but could someone explain how Myst and Riven killed the adventure genre? I know there was a spate of inferior Myst clones that flooded the market for a while (other genres have gone through this and remained strong afterwards) but how would the present state of the adventure genre be significantly different if Myst and Riven had never existed? Wouldn't "current market place realities" still be the same?

I can understand people not liking the games, sure. Depends whether you like your games to be environment-driven or character/story-driven. Personally I'll take whichever, so long as I get a sense of accomplishment out of it.

*Pants undone, cheeks bared, currently gritting teeth*
Old 04-13-2004, 04:39 AM   #122
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Every timo succesfull game gets to the marcet, it gets hundrends of clons. If clons can kill a genre, action must be dead long ago.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:59 AM   #123
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

The height of the "golden days" had begun to fade and here we get a new kind of adventure without character interaction, yielding new kinds of puzzles that are environmentally and mechanically-driven. A couple people really like it and we get a ton of clones without any innovation. Mainstream gamers had begun to stop buying 3rd person graphic adventures, started buying Myst and the clones, got fed up with those, and announced the adventure game dead. I don't think Myst and Riven killed the genre; I think it just indicates a natural inclination of the mainstream gamers away from adventure games in general. They had no patience for the clones. They weren't willing to keep buying adventure clones until the next hit came out in the same way that they were willing to buy action and rpg clones.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:25 AM   #124

Default Missed ones...

I want a list with the hardest adventures ever. 'Maupiti Island' should be in the first place.

As for the list of the top 20, have you considered 'Fascination'?
Oh, and I give my vote to 'Beneath A Steel Sky' too. Great adventure!
Monkey Island 2 deserved a much better place, and the 3rd. one was great too.
And one more thing, 'The Longest Journey' sucks.