You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Posting comments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Codger

Default Posting comments

I try to post a comment to the Develper's Desk #2 article, but can't. I'm obviously a registered user.

If there is a different sequence one must go through in order to post to the above article, rather than post to a forum message, the difference is not transparent. Nor is the solution.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Silly question maybe, but have you logged in to the main site? Logging in to the forums isn't enough.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
Silly question maybe, but have you logged in to the main site? Logging in to the forums isn't enough.
Aren't they one and the same? But. if I attempt log in at the main site, I'm greeted with the message that I'm already a registered user.

It's a Catch-22. I can't log in because I'm already a registered user, (and currently logged in,) and I can't comment because I'm not logged in.

Last edited by rtrooney; 08-30-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

No, the main site and forum log-ins aren't integrated. If you're getting that message on the main site, it sounds like you're clicking "click to register" instead of just filling in your log-in info and clicking "Go".
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Codger

That's not what happens at all. I enter "rtrooney" and click GO and continually have problems. See an earlier thread in this forum started by me.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

And your password, presumably? Everything case-sensitive? I've never seen it not work (including just now when I checked), so it'll be hard to pin down if it's not on your end.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
That's not what happens at all. I enter "rtrooney" and click GO and continually have problems. See an earlier thread in this forum started by me.
Interestingly, when I came back to try and edit this message, I was, again, prompted for a log in. Which I was able to do thanks to a yet again, NEW pasword that I had to request.

Clicking GO does not get me into the system. Entering my username, rtrooney, and clicking GO does not get me into the system.

NOTHING gets me into the system so that I can comment on the above article in which I have considerable interest.

I'm frustrated
Old 08-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

Well, a new password for editing this message has nothing to do with logging into the main site, so we can disregard that.

You've mentioned several combinations of things for the main site, but not the sequence you actually need. There's a box for your user name and password, then the Go button. You do need to fill in both, not just one.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Well, a new password for editing this message has nothing to do with logging into the main site, so we can disregard that.

You've mentioned several combinations of things for the main site, but not the sequence you actually need. There's a box for your user name and password, then the Go button. You do need to fill in both, not just one.
Interestingly, I had to re-log in just to respond to this message. And again get a new password to do so.

I'm obviously missing something. When I do as you say and enter my user name, there is no prompt for a password. When I simply click GO, when the user neme appears to be filled in, it is rejected.

This is frustrating beyond belief.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
Super Moderator

You should be seeing the above.

The left box is for your username, and starts with 'username' already put in there by default. It should clear when you click it though, otherwise delete it first.

The right box is for your password, and starts with the word 'password' filled in by default (but obviously you can't read it, since it's hidden), which should clear when you click the box; otherwise you need to delete it first.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 08-30-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post

You should be seeing the above.

The left box is for your username, and starts with 'username' already put in there by default. It should clear when you click it though, otherwise delete it first.

The right box is for your password, and starts with the word 'password' filled in by default (but obviously you can't read it, since it's hidden), which should clear when you click the box; otherwise you need to delete it first.
Forgive me but everything above is gibberish.

If my user name is entered by default and my password is entered by default, and I hit GO, why I comment? Moot point as I asked the question on the Adventure Forum. I've given up on trying to to do what you say I need to do.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Forgive me but everything above is gibberish.

If my user name is entered by default and my password is entered by default, and I hit GO, why I comment? Moot point as I asked the question on the Adventure Forum. I've given up on trying to to do what you say I need to do.
You need to delete what is in the boxes and fill it in with your info. That's what Dale is saying.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
You need to delete what is in the boxes and fill it in with your info. That's what Dale is saying.
Was finally able to do so. But I must say that the black on black entry form is so obscure that any normal person, i.e., ME, would miss it entirely.

So I posted my comment elsewhere. I.e., here.

Now that I have finally figured out what to do, I posted much the same comment to the same thread.

It has not yet appeared.

I don't understand why.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

Your comment is there. It's on page 2 of the comments section (uses its own page system than the article itself).
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
Codger

I've got to say that everything non-forum is very non-intuitive.

It was truly difficult for me to "see" the system log-in along with the password entry. Black on black doesn't work well for my tired old eyes that will be having cataract surgery next month.

Finding a second page of comments is also non-intuitive when one is used to following forum comments.

But, you're right. It was there.

I guess I must apologize for being stupid. But I think it is the interface that makes me feel this way.