You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 12:39 AM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Avatar limits

I think that the sizes for avatars should be upgraded. 19kb is a fair file size, but 80x80 is tiny, I think that 120x120 is a fairer size. Also would it be possible to allow signature images?

P.S Do you like my current avatar?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:53 AM   #2
Umbilicus Mundi

Your current avatar is great, I was about to mention that.But I don't think bigger avatars are good. Some forums take all that to a ridiculous level, so that the actual posts take up times less space than all the avatars and signatures and whatnot. I think this forum has a good balance.

Old 03-18-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Your current avatar is great, I was about to mention that.But I don't think bigger avatars are good. Some forums take all that to a ridiculous level, so that the actual posts take up times less space than all the avatars and signatures and whatnot. I think this forum has a good balance.
Agreed - please don't allow signature images or the place will be overrun with animted .gifs of scenes from The Matrix before you can say "please no"

Well, maybe AG fans have more taste than that, but I'm sure it would get annoying pretty quickly.

By the way, New Order, you can stick a 120x120 image in your profile - I think. And your current avatar is very nice.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
guybrush_guy

here's an idea. once you recieve a certin status and respect in the forums your allowed to post a signature. the signature must be aproved by the forum mods and members and has to be somewhat user ane or adventure game related.

so once someone reaches over 100 posts they can post a signature aslong as it's approved?

dumb idea? good idea?......

Old 03-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
here's an idea. once you recieve a certin status and respect in the forums your allowed to post a signature. the signature must be aproved by the forum mods and members and has to be somewhat user ane or adventure game related.

so once someone reaches over 100 posts they can post a signature aslong as it's approved?

Bad idea, simply because the people most likely to want 1000 posts so they can get a 500MB animated signature image and matching Matrix-themed avatar are the same people who would think nothing of posting messages like "lol" and "me too!!!!!!!11" to get it...

I think this forum has one of the best balances between pure discussion and fun toys (like the and the ability to post images) I've seen anywhere. I think the admins are savvy enough not to mess it up, too! (Compliments galore!)
Old 03-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #6
guybrush_guy

thats true, but i'm sure there is some way to figure it out.
i think if we really thought about it, there would be someway to use signatures with out all the clutter.

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 03-18-2004 at 12:03 PM.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
thats true, but i'm sure there is some way to figure it out. i think if we really thought about it, there would be someway to use signatures with out all the clutters.
I don't think there's any need to figure it out. There is nothing wrong with the current system.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:

Rules are bad. Annoying signatures are baaaad. Text is goooooooood.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
I don't think there's any need to figure it out. There is nothing wrong with the current system.
i'm not saying there is anything rong with the system, i like the system. i just think it sucks that hosting signautres would be a bad thing. you absolutley rite that it would get anoying if everyone had ubscean unrelated signatures, like the Matrix (it was a good movie, but nothing to be obsessed over)

Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

I think we totally need sig images. And MIDI music in sigs too!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #11

I think this whole forum should be flash-based as well.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:10 PM   #12
guybrush_guy

what about instead of text we leave voice recordings?

Old 03-18-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Lets just jump to full motion video which the server then extrapolates a 3D model out of that you can interact with in realtime. Wait, get this-- in space!

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-18-2004, 02:16 PM   #14
guybrush_guy

you win jake, 5 points

or, we could do it wile playing sam and max 2, ohh wait. thats not guna work..i guess space is the only answer

Old 03-18-2004, 06:18 PM   #15
How am I not myself?

Quote:

Thats a great idea, as long as the sig limit is farely small. I highly doubt, as the others said, that people will rush to get 100 posts, just to add a sig. I am a design junkie, you can check out my site here: www.concept-x.tk, soon to be www.outbreakdesigns.com.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:55 PM   #16
Friendly Server Admin

What's the point? You can post a sig now.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:33 PM   #17
guybrush_guy

you can post signatures in text form, i'm talking about signatures in picture form.
this is mine and i use it in other forums.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:49 PM   #18
Friendly Server Admin

I'm not the final word, but I can say with 99% certainty that it's not gonna happen. Images in sigs clutter up a page like nothing else and only make load times worse for those on non-broadband connections.

I don't see how adding a 504x216 40kb image to every single post is really going to improve anything around here.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:09 PM   #19
guybrush_guy

i agree, it would clutter up a lot of the forums. but i still think it would be cool to have them to some extent.

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 03-18-2004 at 10:18 PM.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:18 AM   #20
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
i agree, it would clutter up a lot of the forums. but i still think it would be cool to have them to some extent.
Why?.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright