You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Please Remove offensive notice about IE 6

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Adventure Game Researcher

Default Please Remove offensive notice about IE 6

I use IE 6 and shall continue to use IE 6, it is NOT buggy and that is an illusuion created by those who wish to force upgrades. I do NOT WANT the bloated horror that is IE 7, and I use Firefox for specific things but i have used IE for years and have NO intention of changing. I find it offensive to see such notices posted and have no desire to see that nagging note each time i log in here so i shall just stay logged in.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 12-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I use IE 6 and shall continue to use IE 6, it is NOT buggy and that is an illusuion created by those who wish to force upgrades.
Also, we never went to the moon and 9/11 was a conspiracy.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Iv4n

Well, I'm using IE5 and I'm planning to downgrade to IE3. It's NOT buggy and that is an illusion created by those who wish to force upgrades.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Also, we never went to the moon and 9/11 was a conspiracy.
Also, some people are able to successfully spread false information.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Okay, the sarcastic answers accomplish nothing, so let's just deal with the issue.

Given the frequent problems programming the site to properly work in IE6, I'm sure you'll get a more detailed response soon. In the meantime, three points leap to mind:

A) Just because you disagree with it doesn't make the message offensive.

B) Since you disbelieve the reason given, what possible motivation do you think we have to impose upgrades on people?

C) Why wouldn't you just stay logged in anyway?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
tsa
Playing character

What 'nagging note' is this about? I use FF so I never saw it. Christian, your post could have been more detailed and to the point. At first I thought you asked for a specific post in the forums to be removed.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Monkeyboy

I think you must have a severe case of stockholm syndrome, MS has been sticking it to you for years who cares what browser you use?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Let's not turn this into a browser war please. Lots of people choose to use IE, others use Firefox or other browsers. That's someone's personal choice.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I use IE 6 and shall continue to use IE 6, it is NOT buggy and that is an illusuion created by those who wish to force upgrades. I do NOT WANT the bloated horror that is IE 7, and I use Firefox for specific things but i have used IE for years and have NO intention of changing. I find it offensive to see such notices posted and have no desire to see that nagging note each time i log in here so i shall just stay logged in.
I'm sorry you're offended, but AG simply no longer supports IE6. It's a small disclaimer (about 10 pixels high at the top of the page) that you can easily ignore, but it's important to have there so that people understand that glitches on the site may be due to IE6 being unsupported.

As it says in the disclaimer, you can choose from a myriad of browsers that will display AG the way it's intended, including Internet Explorer 7 or above, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, or any of the other browsers that use the same underlying technology.

The fact that all of these browsers show the site just fine, except for IE6, should tell you something about IE6. Most sites have to include IE6-specific hacks to make them work right. This can double the time needed to design and code anything for the site. Seeing as how the number of visitors using IE6 is constantly shrinking, it's no longer cost effective to work on all those hacks, given that in the same time we could be working on new site features that everyone can enjoy.

Hope that makes our rationale clear. Personally speaking, I highly recommend upgrading, but you can still view AG with IE6 if you want to.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #10

I agree 100% with AG on this one. It would be silly to support an old browser that needs lots of extra work to make the site work in.

By the way, I use Google Chrome most of the time and recommend it for anyone thinking of changing browsers. Simple, elegant and not bloated.

Just my opinion

Last edited by skurken; 12-06-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Independent tests have also shown that IE7 uses less memory and runs faster than IE6... http://www.zimbrablog.com/blog/archi...7-vs-ie-6.html I mean, Opera, Chrome and Firefox are all better than any IE, but if you must stick with MS, use a better one!