You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Okay, hating this

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Default Okay, hating this

I'm talking about one of those banners on the top of the site, that makes some really annoying beep beep sound.
I don't know, maybe it dissappears when you log in, but still, it's not like you becomes automaticly logged in every time you visit the site.

Just wanted to make a small complain. Also, I think those banners (those which are non-game related) make the site seem pretty cheap, and I don't understand what purpose they might serve.

Edit: Ok, now whatever I do, I can't make them come back. I was talking about those "you've won this and that" "click here and enter spam site" -kinda banners.
Is it just me imagining things again?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I've not seen the ads you're on about, at least.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Pixiehunter

I have seen those adds (there is one "Ooh-goody-free-cursors" visible as I type this). But they don't make any sounds, as far as I know. Luckily they are in the highest top, so I don't notice them that often.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

You are right to complain about such ads and I apologize for the fact that they showed up. I don't like annoying unrelated ads either and have made it my goal to have all ads be normal and gaming relevant whenever possible. Sadly we are part of an ad network that sometimes tries to sneak in smiley/cursor/blinking ads. I have gone ahead and again disabled those manually, and I hope they don't show up again.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
3rd person fanatic :)

I have firefox with adblocker plus - I definitely recommend!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
I have firefox with adblocker plus - I definitely recommend!
Me too, but since I'm not evil I have AG whitelisted
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
tsa
Playing character

I only ban ads that annoy me with it. Mostly flickering banners or ads with sound.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #8

It is really annoying

I get this message all the time when browsing this web-page; "congratulations you are vistor no 1 million -click here to claim your prize". And a truly irritating beeping sound every few seconds to go with it.

Any website that feature such ads falls quite rapidly in my esteem, I'm sorry to say.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverheim View Post
It is really annoying

I get this message all the time when browsing this web-page; "congratulations you are vistor no 1 million -click here to claim your prize". And a truly irritating beeping sound every few seconds to go with it.

Any website that feature such ads falls quite rapidly in my esteem, I'm sorry to say.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about!
And so I assume it didn't work to disable them then? Too bad, I don't mind it that much myself but I could really see this kinda stuff scaring away newcomers.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverheim View Post
It is really annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajerkaos View Post
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about!
And so I assume it didn't work to disable them then? Too bad, I don't mind it that much myself but I could really see this kinda stuff scaring away newcomers.
Did either of you happen to read Marek's post above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
You are right to complain about such ads and I apologize for the fact that they showed up. I don't like annoying unrelated ads either and have made it my goal to have all ads be normal and gaming relevant whenever possible. Sadly we are part of an ad network that sometimes tries to sneak in smiley/cursor/blinking ads. I have gone ahead and again disabled those manually, and I hope they don't show up again.
So, to reiterate what he said, we try not to have annoying ads on this site. All you need to do is say something and we will try and rectify it. Hopefully that will increase your esteem for us.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Did either of you happen to read Marek's post above?
That's funny and somewhat ironic, because my post was actually mostly directed to Marek in the first place.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Yes it's possible you might have gotten an unwanted ad such as the "claim your prize" ad. Like I wrote above in this thread, sometimes these slip in through a 3rd party ad network, but I disable them as soon as I see them or get a complaint. It's not a widespread issue and saying you get them every time sounds like kind of a big overstatement to me.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajerkaos View Post
I don't know, maybe it dissappears when you log in, but still, it's not like you becomes automaticly logged in every time you visit the site.
That is what the 'remember me' tick is for when you log in. It works geat! I never have to log in.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Yes it's possible you might have gotten an unwanted ad such as the "claim your prize" ad. Like I wrote above in this thread, sometimes these slip in through a 3rd party ad network, but I disable them as soon as I see them or get a complaint. It's not a widespread issue and saying you get them every time sounds like kind of a big overstatement to me.
I don't know, I got it too, almost every time I visited, for a few days (until I chose to log in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
That is what the 'remember me' tick is for when you log in. It works geat! I never have to log in.
They have that sort of function?
Neato!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #15

Just saw an ad which looked like a windows error message and made this sound which you hear when such a window pops up.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #16
tsa
Playing character

Is this thread still going anywhere?