You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback AG Reviews page crashing IE

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #1

Default AG Reviews page crashing IE

Is anybody else getting this? Over the past few days, the Adventure Gamers reviews page has crashed my Internet Explorer a number of times. Probably trying to import an ad from another site?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to note this.

Cheers

Noel Bruton
Arberth Studios
Old 10-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
It's just me

Hello Noel,

I recently stopped using IE, but if my previous experience is any indication, I'd say it doesn't seem to properly display the Adventure Gamers website anymore. Ads take forever to load on the forums, interface and visual glitches abound, and it just won't be nice at all. However, I do remember that forcing a refresh or two (CTRL-F5) and cleaning the temp cache sometimes corrected the bugs that annoyed me, so you might wanna try this and see if it helps.

Best regards, and good luck!

Last edited by Lunatik; 10-01-2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added some stuff
Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

There seem to be more problems with IE than other browsers, but it works just fine in IE for many people (including me). So whatever problems exist are isolated ones. I'm not the AG tech guru, but I'll make sure this thread isn't overlooked.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Can you guys be more specific as to which version of IE you are using? There's a world of difference between 6.0 and 7.0 for instance. If you are using 6.0 I very strongly recommend updating it to 7.0, as it's more secure, has a rendering engine that conforms more closely to international standards, makes life easier for web developers, and saves the whales. IE6 is almost eight years old so please do update if you can. If it's IE7 though, I'm going to have to take a closer look at the problem.

Last edited by Marek; 10-03-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
It's just me

I don't use IE anymore. I used to love it quite a lot, but I eventually lost my patience. I was using a full up-to-date version 7 and had issues under both Windows XP and Vista. As for Adventure Gamers, I recall that interface and visual glitches started to appear around last Spring. But I don't mean to suggest your website is the culprit here, because I started to have problems on many other sites over the following months as well.

I still think IE is great, but my understanding as a user (and not a web developer) is that many webmasters appear to have upgraded their sites with lots of neat and cool stuff this year, all of which helped to show IE's lack of compliance to today's standards. Hopefully the upcoming version 8 may fix all that in due time.

Anyway, it's very nice to hear your thoughts on this matter, Jack and Marek. I really enjoy everything you've created here, it's such a nice place for us adventurers. May you be involved in this for many years to come!

Old 10-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #6
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Lunatik, you are probably right about webmasters. When IE7 came out a lot of developers were ready to move on from IE6 and were excited to finally be able to include more advanced features. But IE7 isn't perfect yet either.

IE7 was very much an 'in between' solution. MS had to compromise because if they really did comply to all standards in IE7, too many websites with IE-specific hacks would be broken. That's why they're doing it step by step. I believe IE8 is where they're going to finally switch over some major things, while offering a piece of code to developers that will force it to still render the page as if it was IE7 if needed.

Anyway, as for AG specifically, there are a fair number of visual glitches and small bugs when viewing it in IE6, only a few in IE7, and in other browsers it pretty much looks as intended. The IE6 related bugs shouldn't be complete show-stoppers, but I couldn't get myself to spend more time on creating hacks for problems that were purely visual. If there's actually problems that lead to crashes though, that's definitely something I would want to fix.

Anyway, just rambling. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #7

I'm using IE 6 - note that I don't get the problem in Firefox - so I no longer get the problem :-)

Thanks for your suggestions all

Noel Bruton
Arberth Studios