You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Links to game websites in the game database

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Links to game websites in the game database

It's such a pity that there are almost no links to games' official websites in the games database. Even relatively new games like Return to Mysterious Island and Grey Matter have no links to their websites in the database. Is there a reason for that? Or am I looking in the wrong place? I would expect those links in the 'Related Links' sections in the database.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
It's such a pity that there are almost no links to games' official websites in the games database. Even relatively new games like Return to Mysterious Island and Grey Matter have no links to their websites in the database. Is there a reason for that? Or am I looking in the wrong place? I would expect those links in the 'Related Links' sections in the database.
Reason: time and manpower.

I have added some in the past but Jack has done the lion's share of the additions. He's been very busy with other site duties (editing, writing, etc) and the database takes a lot of time. I've not done much for a while either.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
tsa
Playing character

You're doing a great job on the site, and keeping databases up to date takes indeed a lot of time and work, so oh well. I'll look them up myself then
Old 08-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I added the RtMI website, but the Gray Matter site isn't in English yet. I don't think there's a way to select a different language at the German site.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

We've actually got someone to help fill out all the missing/outdated database info now, but it's still going to take a long time to work through all the games.

We'd welcome help from forumites and the general public, of course. If anyone wants to send us system specs or web links or screenshots for any game where that info is lacking, it'd be a huge help.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

In case people would like to help, what would be the preferred format for sending such info? A PM to you or something else? How is it easiest for you to process? (If we'd do something to help, we'd like to decrease your workload, and not increase it.)

(This is something I too have noticed before - I occasionally click on the "Game Database Random Pick" and it's not unusual to find a database entry that's extremely sparse, such as only a screenshot and not anything else - but I've not said anything since I've assumed you're working on it, and I know what work is involved.)
Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I added the RtMI website, but the Gray Matter site isn't in English yet. I don't think there's a way to select a different language at the German site.
But isn't a German site better than nothing? A large percentage of AGs' visitors is from Europe and can handle at least a bit of German.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
In case people would like to help, what would be the preferred format for sending such info? A PM to you or something else? How is it easiest for you to process? (If we'd do something to help, we'd like to decrease your workload, and not increase it.)
We should probably develop a formal process for such things, but for now either a PM to me or using our contact form is fine for information only. For screenshots, an email to [email protected] would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa
But isn't a German site better than nothing? A large percentage of AGs' visitors is from Europe and can handle at least a bit of German.
Sometimes we'll do that, but usually a translated site follows close behind the original language, so it's just double the work for very little benefit. I think it's debatable whether or not it's better for most people.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Sometimes we'll do that, but usually a translated site follows close behind the original language, so it's just double the work for very little benefit. I think it's debatable whether or not it's better for most people.
Well, we're talking about Grey Matter here, the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games ... Maybe listing the German site isn't such a bad idea after all