You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Try out the new comments system!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default Try out the new comments system!

You can now post messages on the site. Just the blog for now, but news and articles will follow.

Read all about it here: http://design.adventuregamers.com/blogitem.php?id=9
Old 09-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Super Moderator

You can now comment on news items and articles as well.

(or if you don't want to say anything, but like what you see, you can give a thumbs up!)
Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Psychonaut

And reviews. It would be cool if you could give it your own star rating though.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Yep. That's on the drawing board for later.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Psychonaut

Oooh I see you can't edit any of your comments (or can you??)

Seeing as you are pre-moding them anyway can whichever mod does mine can you spellcheck and sort my grammer before posting.

My fingers can't keep up with the mental process and tend to miss bits

TA
Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The comments end up on one page so that we don't have to go through every blog looking for them, but I don't know if we're able to edit them there. I haven't tried.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

We can't edit posts. If your comment hasn't been approved yet and you want to edit it, simply delete it and repost. Otherwise, I don't know. I guess we could make an edit function, but then editing would slip the post back into the approval queue, and that could really increase the work for us. (No big deal now of course, but it could be later.)

Last edited by Marek; 10-01-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #8

How long does it take to get a comment approved!? I posted one exactly a day ago and I still can't see it. It should be on the Blackwell Unbound review.
I'm not sure why it shouldn't have been approved, except maybe for the length, so...

Last edited by ozzie; 10-02-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
How long does it take to get a comment approved!? I posted one exactly a day ago and I still can't see it. It should be on the Blackwell Unbound review.
I'm not sure why it shouldn't have been approved, except maybe for the length, so...
I've been checking regularly (all of the unapproved comments go to one page so we don't miss any). I haven't seen it but I'll check with the others. Hopefully it didn't go off into the ether (it hasn't happened yet).

Is there an off chance you may have hit the back button instead of submit? (I've done that before with posts)
Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Psychonaut

You should still be able to see the post, but it will say "Pending approval".

If it's not there it is possible it didn't update properly.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

This isn't the first I've heard of a disappearing comment, so there may be a problem. We'll look into it and see if it's something on our end.

In general, though, the moderation of these comments is going to be extremely liberal, so if you've written a post of any kind of sustance at all, it's almost certain to be approved.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #12

That would be annoying if it disappeared. I wrote one and a half hour on it! (English takes time )
And no, I can't see it.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I'm very sorry to hear that. I've been waiting bated breath for comments to trickle in, so it pains me to hear a long comment was written but got lost.

Can I ask you some questions? I'm trying to figure out what went wrong.
  • Did you see a circle going around and then the words (in green fotn) "Comment received! It is pending mod approval." ?
  • Did the message appear immediately in the comment section, but in a lighter font than usual, and the text (in orange/red font) "Post awaiting approval" above it?
  • Could your message have been longer than 1500 characters?
I'm very curious what happened.

Last edited by Marek; 10-03-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #14
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to file a complaint, but I think it's the new comment thingy that caused, and I don't like it!

That is, the comments thingy is spiffy, but I don't like the fact that now the layout is messed up. Look at the area just beneath the green task bar of Adventure Gamers. There's something overlapping with the forum navigation path.

(Also, note that Rob's comment is very fitting. )

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 AM   #15
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Well, I don't like the fact that your computer shows the wrong fonts. I've specified Arial/Helvetica/sans-serif in the stylesheet and it's somehow showing up as a system font for you. I just looked at the site in Opera (the same browser that you use) and it shows Arial just fine.

Does all text on the site look kinda like this? No wonder you're so hard to please. Either your computer is missing the Arial font or your browser is overriding site's own stylesheets. This is what it should look like: http://www.gameslol.com/random/correctfont.jpg
I'm afraid this is something you have to solve on your own.

(By the way, did you notice you have a few tabs open? Good lord. )
Old 10-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Well, I don't like the fact that your computer shows the wrong fonts. I've specified Arial/Helvetica/sans-serif in the stylesheet and it's somehow showing up as a system font for you. I just looked at the site in Opera (the same browser that you use) and it shows Arial just fine.

Does all text on the site look kinda like this? No wonder you're so hard to please. Either your computer is missing the Arial font or your browser is overriding site's own stylesheets. This is what it should look like: http://www.gameslol.com/random/correctfont.jpg
I'm afraid this is something you have to solve on your own.

(By the way, did you notice you have a few tabs open? Good lord. )

Um, I always assumed all computers had the Arial font automatically... *checks* Yup, both Arial and Helvetica I have.

And yeah, the text on the site looks like that. That's what I meant when I said "bold and pixelly". The text in the forum posts seems to be fine, but the rest is in system font.

(Oh, and yes, I know I have some tabs open. In fact, I have quite a lot of tabs open. Also, this is just one of the two windows I have open in Opera. The second one is currently mostly dedicated to "Knights of the Old Republic" forums and fanfiction and stuff like that. In total, I have exactly 243 tabs open, but I'm going to close 4 of them now.)

-

Last edited by Jazhara7; 10-03-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:06 AM   #17
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Okay, so you've been looking at some kind of perverted version of the design all along. Is AG the only site that has this weirdo font for you?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Okay, so you've been looking at some kind of perverted version of the design all along. Is AG the only site that has this weirdo font for you?

I don't know what you did, but all of a sudden everything is fine. *hugs* ^_^ The task bars no longer overlap, and even the fonts are correct on site and forum.

And as far aas I know, it was only AG that was misbehaving, yes.

-

Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #19
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I switched around Helvetica and Arial in the style sheet, so that it looks for Arial first. It's weird though, your browser/computer should just skip Helvetica if it can't find it and use Arial. This is the first time I've ever seen it happen. I'm glad I could still solve it on our side, though.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Can I ask you some questions? I'm trying to figure out what went wrong.
Did you see a circle going around and then the words (in green fotn) "Comment received! It is pending mod approval." ?
I think so, yes, but I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:
Did the message appear immediately in the comment section, but in a lighter font than usual, and the text (in orange/red font) "Post awaiting approval" above it?
No. I wasn't too worried about it seeing that much of the site is still in beta...

Quote:
Could your message have been longer than 1500 characters? I'm very curious what happened.
Definitely.