You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback The new design is up!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 AM   #21
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTricks View Post
..but...ADS...Why? Nobody likes ads, and i hate ads in news,reviews,relase dates etc, and especially between forum posts.

I know those ads will get some profit to AG, which is good, but i hope amount of ads can be reduced to minimum.
I think Marek has already covered this. To keep the site running it's either ads or subscriptions and I know which one I prefer. Not so sure about the "profit" part either. More like funding for ongoing activity and maintenance.

Sure having them after the first post on a page is a little more intrusive but you can limit that by changing your posts per page setting if it really bothers you. If they appeared at every post that would be more of a worry.

At the end of the day, if a few ads is the price we pay for keeping this quality site free then I'm all for it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Edit: oh, and I love the new screenshot viewer in the reviews/previews, but there are some images that occur as broken. One was in Jack's thread, the other in the Dual Motives preview/
That should be another advert.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #23

Also is it possible in the scrolling gallery to have the screenshots in reverse order like GameSpot showing the newest screenshots first and the older ones last. It's just games like Gray Matter we're still seeing concept art first as opposed to the shiny, new screenshots. *shrugs* Not that important I guess. Just a personal preference.

Last edited by D.C.; 09-13-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #24
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Thanks for the specific comments. There's always tiny unexpected bugs all over the place, so it's very helpful to me. I'll quickly respond to everything.

Quote:
Wrong link on writer's name on news posts (both news.php and newsitem.php)
Thanks, fixed.
Quote:
Wrong link on writer's name on Features page
Can't find this one...
Quote:
The RSS link embedded in the pages' <head> section only contains the news feed (instead of all, or maybe the appropriate one for each page?)
Making a huge combined RSS feed is a bit of a pain in the ass, as the content comes from different tables. But I might do that one eventually.
Quote:
The layout of the GC feature is broken
Some of the stuff doesn't fit into the more narrow content column. We're going through all the articles in the next few days to fix them if needed.
Quote:
The "last updated releases" list on the main page obviously isn't that at all
Actually, it works fine. It shows the releases that were last updated (as in: changed in the database). Not the releases that are closest to the current date.
Quote:
The release dates are not sorted appropriately (seems to be a problem with 1-figure days; see the October releases, for example)
They're sorted by how specific they are. We don't use normal dates, we split them by day, then month or quarter, then year. It's how it's always sorted them.
Quote:
The "related games" function doesn't work for UG games, probably because it looks for the same developper whereas UG games have an author instead
Ah, good call. I've taken out the related developer column for UG games. We don't have a database relation for authors (they are a text field, not an id for some reason). You'll see "other games in this series" lists pop up over the coming months for games that are part of a series (these have to be manually entered).
Quote:
The Game info pages could use a little space between the flags and the text
Agreed, fixed.
Quote:
The fourth most recent feature/interview/preview is nowhere to be found on the corresponding page (probably a remnant of the previous design, where four such articles were featured, instead of three now)
Heh, nice one. This one went right past me. Fixed.
Quote:
The bottom bar looks bad for multipage articles
Yeah, I just noticed that. Will fix later today.
Quote:
Some features and interviews still have lo-res main pics
Will be replaced by newer features. Nevermind, I can't wait that long, so doing those in a bit.
Quote:
Wrong link when clicking screenshots inside articles
Whoops, you are correct. Will also fix later today.

Your pet peeve feature is not currently implemented, but it's one of our pet peeves too. I just didn't have time for it now. What I'll probably do later on is have one game be the primary assigned game, and list other related games below the gameinfo sidebar.

I can tell you appreciate the site because you had some very specific comments, so thanks.

Panthera: I think that broken link is from an ad.

D.C.: that makes sense, actually. It's easy for me to switch around, so I might do that in a minute.

Last edited by Marek; 09-13-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #25
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

oh, just scrolled all the way down.. LOVE the game database random pick!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 AM   #26

I also dislike the wasted space on a widescreen monitor with the big black blocks to the left and the right.
Of course, you can get used to it, but I don't think it's optimal.
Oh, and the bottom links "what adventure games are all about" and the top 20 work when you're on the forum, but not on the main page.
The first links to the top20, the second brings an error.

On the pro side, I think that all the information is now more easily and faster reachable. Less clicks, less time. Like it!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
oh, just scrolled all the way down.. LOVE the game database random pick!
Hehe, look what it just chose for me

Game Database Random Pick
Christmas Quest: The Best Adventure Game Ever!
Developer:
Adventure Gamers
Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 AM   #28
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Wow, phenomenal site design. Awesome work, AG staff!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Quote:
Wrong link on writer's name on Features page
Can't find this one...
If you click on the link to the writer's bio for the three most recent features on this page, it links to team.php instead of bio.php.

Quote:
Making a huge combined RSS feed is a bit of a pain in the ass, as the content comes from different tables. But I might do that one eventually.
Can't you just embed (don't know if that's the right word) more than one feed (as CNN does, for instance)?

Quote:
Actually, it works fine. It shows the releases that were last updated (as in: changed in the database). Not the releases that are closest to the current date.
What I currently see is the beginning of an alphabetical list of unreleased games; but maybe it's just a coincidence.

Quote:
They're sorted by how specific they are. We don't use normal dates, we split them by day, then month or quarter, then year. It's how it's always sorted them.
Yes, I understand that. But you have a problem with some dates. For instance, for October, you have Oct 15, Oct 16, Oct 23, Oct 25, Oct 9, October. I think it's related to days with only one digit.

Quote:
I can tell you appreciate the site because you had some very specific comments, so thanks.
I really do. To be honest, I've been spending far more time reading the new version than the old version over the past few weeks (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't have; but I decided that was my privilege as a former staffer; and seeing the design evolve hour by hour is better than any kind of reality TV ), and I'm really fond of it. Hopefully the forum style will end up growing on me too.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #30
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
If you click on the link to the writer's bio for the three most recent features on this page, it links to team.php instead of bio.php.
Ah, got it.

Quote:
Can't you just embed (don't know if that's the right word) more than one feed (as CNN does, for instance)?
Hmm. Apparently you can! No idea how browsers/readers deal with that, but I can definitely have the news, articles and blog feeds in there (those are probably the most important).

Quote:
I really do. To be honest, I've been spending far more time reading the new version than the old version over the past few weeks (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't have; but I decided that was my privilege as a former staffer; and seeing the design evolve hour by hour is better than any kind of reality TV ), and I'm really fond of it. Hopefully the forum style will end up growing on me too.
Tsk tsk tsk brownnosing, eh?

I'll take a look at that release dates issue.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #31
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,784/ <- all the links in the footer navbar of this article (and all others, it seems) lead to http://www.adventuregamers.com/artic...4/PAGENAME.php, when they should really go to http://www.adventuregamers.com/PAGENAME.php presumably.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #32
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Thanks, fixed.

Most of the bugs are related to this btw. I never tested the site with the /article/id,000/ URLs (those URLs are redirects to a php file). So a lot of links had to have a slash put in front of them to point to the site root.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #33
Super Moderator

Congratulations!! Thanks for all the hard work and long nights (for everyone involved). I'm proud to be here.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #34

a small bug: if you are on the forum and press "Screenshots" in the top menu, it doesn't work. It points to http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/screenshots.php instead of http://www.adventuregamers.com/screenshots.php.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #35
In an evening of July...

Is there a way to disable the screenshot slideshow autostart? Because by the time you actually look at the loaded page to see the screenshot you clicked on it's already gone.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #36

Hey - I first thought I was in the wrong place, so I got a little like this: and also like this but I son realized that I was in the correct place all along.

I like it. Good jobs guys & gals - especially the work done during the long nights

The site is much more logical in its design now. It is also easier to find things on this new site, I think...

I have tried the beta of the a-z games, but the site keeps saying 'loading'
Is that where it explodes as it says in the headline on the page...

or do I just need to be more patient....before I go all about it...

Anyway, the new site looks & feels great

Last edited by aries323; 09-13-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: edited smileys
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #37

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

The new home design is incredibly bad.

Information is not well organized, tabbed navigation is a design mistake.

Frankly, the new site design discourages to browse.

Last edited by Nautilus; 09-13-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #38
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Fortunately we can actually monitor that with site statistics, so in a few days I can let you know if the new site design is discouraging people to browse.

(If the page bounce rate, which is the number of people not clicking further, goes anywhere but down, I'll buy a hat and eat it. )

Last edited by Marek; 09-13-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #39
Hopeful skeptic

Aww, c'mon, Nautilus. Admit it. You're just trying to get your post picked for the next "Quotable Thread".
Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #40
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Awesome! That's truly an awesome new design. Congrats! Really felt nice to check out the site after such a long absence only to be greeted by a new design!

EDIT: Have an issue with the Sam & Max: Season 1 review. Running on Safari 2.0.4.

Last edited by bigjko; 09-13-2007 at 08:16 AM.