You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback The new design is up!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #201
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
We don't have any pop-ups - strict policy.
Marek, have you noticed a popup appearing lately? I'm getting one every now and then asking me to take a survey, but I'm not sure whether it's a specific ad that's causing it.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #202

Looks great, good job! One little thing is bugging me though. Underground was my one-stop shop for the latest news on Underground game releases and interesting moments within the the underground community. These bulletins seem to have been lost in the new design, replaced by "New review" news items, which are fine, but they're not the real news I'm interested in. Apparently Underground news is merged with the rest of the news for commercial games etc which is a little dissapointing. I don't want to go through all that to find the Underground news items, which are the only real items I like to read up on regularly. At some point I hope you can bring back the little news bulletins to the Underground section. It was the underground news that really made AG Underground stand out from other related websites for me.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #203
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
Marek, have you noticed a popup appearing lately? I'm getting one every now and then asking me to take a survey, but I'm not sure whether it's a specific ad that's causing it.
Yeah, I got that a couple of times too.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #204
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I've never seen that popup. Can you describe it more (maybe after the next time you see it)? What site is it from or what company? Maybe one of our ad networks is secretly putting in popups and hoping we won't notice.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #205
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ds View Post
Looks great, good job! One little thing is bugging me though. Underground was my one-stop shop for the latest news on Underground game releases and interesting moments within the the underground community. These bulletins seem to have been lost in the new design, replaced by "New review" news items, which are fine, but they're not the real news I'm interested in. Apparently Underground news is merged with the rest of the news for commercial games etc which is a little dissapointing. I don't want to go through all that to find the Underground news items, which are the only real items I like to read up on regularly. At some point I hope you can bring back the little news bulletins to the Underground section. It was the underground news that really made AG Underground stand out from other related websites for me.
UG news was just becoming harder and harder to maintain adequately. Updates were sporadic and fairly limited in their scope, and no one had time to devote the proper attention to it, so ultimately it seemed better to integrate it elsewhere than continue to limp along as is. Believe me, if any eager volunteers want to step up fill the UG news void, we'll gladly reconsider it as a standalone feature.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #206
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I don't know; you pop out to the shops to buy a bottle of milk and when you come back someone has redecorated the entire place, changed the locks and even opened a little shop in the back garden.

Whats really frustrating is that it's all really GOOD and so I have nothing to whine about. Well done guys, sites looking great!
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #207
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Been a while since I last saw you here DomStLeger. Thanks and welcome back.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #208

Send a message via MSN to KFMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
UG news was just becoming harder and harder to maintain adequately. Updates were sporadic and fairly limited in their scope, and no one had time to devote the proper attention to it, so ultimately it seemed better to integrate it elsewhere than continue to limp along as is. Believe me, if any eager volunteers want to step up fill the UG news void, we'll gladly reconsider it as a standalone feature.
Hmm, interesting. The hard thing is actually sniffing up the UG news worth posting about. But I would gladly contribute with UG news, reviews and general articles whenever I could come up with something acceptable for the sites general high quality. Thing is I have a ton of time on my hands as I don't devote any of it to my education (which I handle fairly well suprisingly ) so I would be able to regurarely update. Get back to me on this once you have also read my other submission Jackal
Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #209
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Personally (speaking as a reader for a moment) I would much more enjoy an Underground news "round up" article every 2 months or-so that just summarized what's been happening with different engines, projects, game authors, etc. along with some screenshots. As someone who might play underground games but isn't really into the UG community, individual news items just don't have enough weight on their own.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #210

Send a message via MSN to KFMN

That could be true, though every 2 months would be very rare in my opinion. Once a month would be fine for a larger article covering whats new, whats worth looking at and so on.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 AM   #211
JKR

What's this new banner on the forums?!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #212
Puts the 'e' in Mark

It's ... a new banner on the forums.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #213
Hopeful skeptic

Dammit, Marek, you're so cryptic sometimes!

And KFMN, I'll definitely be in touch.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #214
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
It's ... a new banner on the forums.
Ohhhh, well, that clears it up then!

I dunno, I feel like it should be smaller. It makes the focus so much less on the forums. Or maybe if it was at the bottom...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #215
Puts the 'e' in Mark

It was at the bottom where no one ever saw it. It's a BIG issue for us that people on the forums often don't seem to be reading the news or articles at all. A lot of forumites actually admit to rarely ever visiting the main page because they always head straight to the forum index. This 'banner' is meant to expose the new content to those people in a more convenient way.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #216
Caffein Queen

Personally I think the new place for the banner is a great idea

Often - as you say - I go directly to the forum and sort of forget to check the news. Not that I don't read the news, but it's mostly only cuz I go to the shop often and see it there on the right, lol

Ohh and I just love this little note "payin' the bills"

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #217
Super Moderator

At first I thought the news at the bottom would work, but I do like it at the top again. I like it being bigger too.

Spoiler:
How does Jack talk with that candy cane shoved in his mouth?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #218
Friendly Server Admin

Also, a similar news feed was in that exact spot for years, so only people who joined within the last few months should really notice any difference
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #219
Super Moderator

It's similar in that it's at the top but the way the boxes are makes it even more noticable (which is cool).
Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #220
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

The new banner is nice, great job. I used to read nearly all articles until the feed was put at the bottom, and I never bothered checking, so this is good.

Thumbs down to the "paying the bills" sign under the advert, though - it seems like someone's telling you why they have to do this and that they're sorry, just before they shoot you in the head.