You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 03:01 AM   #1
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor
Default AG reviews Uru

Well, the review is finally here and at a rating of 2.5 there's bound to be some discussion... I haven't played the game beyond the demo, so I obviously can't provide a solid opinion. From the review's content, it seems that 2.5 might be a bit low, but from how BJ describes it it also seems like there's enough missing from the game at this point that people might be buying it expecting something different from what they're getting. How's that for a run-on sentence? Geez.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-04-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
I'm really Cookin'

With the weakest story to date, and the real-time leaps onto spinning platforms/narrow precipices combined with the lack of a save-anywhere feature (not to mention the vaporware that is still the online portion several months after release), I'm inclined to agree with Jim overall. And what was with the choked off third person camera and all that erratic kicking of objects instead of being able to pick them up? All you can do as a reviewer is to call a spade a spade. I too was quite surprised at some of the mainstream press' glorifying of the nonfunctional and largely unfinished live component. These are supposed to be Reviews, not Previews. If any self-respecting RPG with a multiplayer aspect had shipped in Uru's condition, I suspect it would have really taken a beating in its reviews.

Tons of games are in gorgeous 3D; looks don't save weak stories and failed online content. Moreover, moving around in real-time 3D is hardly a new concept in gaming (other genres have been there for years). Just because 3D is newer to adventures (and the attempt at an MMO is new to adventuring too) doesn't mean Uru deserves kudos for merely incorporating (or in the case of the vaporware that is the online part, attempting to incorporate) it.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Babbling as Usual

Two thumbs up on your review, Jim.

Seriously.

My semi-glowing review in the User Reviews forum also commented much on the potential of the game. I've logged in a few times to Uru: Live since becoming accepted and have exactly the same impressions as you.

I originally figured that I would enjoy Uru: Live as long as they produced new worlds for me to explore. That hasn't happened, and I don't see it happening for a long while.

I also found it extremely frustrating that even though the servers support thousands of player connections, I rarely saw more than a few people at a given time. I was planning on seeking out players such as you and Garyos to form a neighborhood, but I doubt we could have even managed to meet up in the same city! Where did you find out about the 30 person limit in Ae'Gera?

Although I think I may have enjoyed the single-player portion of the game a bit more than you, you are dead-on correct about Uru: Live. It's just not worth the effort unless they put more content into it! If I'm going to pay monthly to "game," I'd like more of it, please.

Three months from now sounds like a good time to check up on Live. I think I'll do the same :-)

For those wondering about Uru singleplayer, you can find my review in the User Reviews section. At this point, I think that if you have already completed the earlier Myst games, by all means go out and spend $25 on Uru. The singleplayer is a well-done 3D adventure game, even though a few of the puzzles are irritating.

Last edited by Bard09; 02-04-2004 at 07:13 PM.