You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq
Default Maniac Review

Great review. I disagree that the game was short on story, however. The game's story is discovered AS you play and go through the mansion. It was brilliantly conceptualized through cutscenes with all the different characters. Like a good mystery, the plot unfolds gradually. In fact, I think Maniac Mansion's storyline was one of the strongest in all the early graphic adventures.

Last edited by eriq; 10-13-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #2

Should have been higher, and I always get annoyed when people act like Maniac Mansion isn't a good enough game on its own and is mostly worthwhile for "historical reasons," but good review.

Last edited by Udvarnoky; 10-13-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

With an avatar like that, I never would have guessed your fondness for the game, Udvarnoky.

Just to be clear, the game earned its score on its own merits, which is a pretty solid recommendation on that level. The historical relevance issue is just a reality for many/most people who have never played some of these older games. It's not about quality, but about appeal to the modern gamer.

Eriq, I think your comments relate to the semi-frequent debate about the definition of "story". (Usually about Myst, but hey, we can branch out. ) Some distinguish story from backstory, and use the word just to describe what happens to the main character(s).
Old 10-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

What he said

Eriq: my definition of story is stuff that occurs during the course of the game, not necessarily any background that may be referred to.

Udvarnoky: I like MM, and certainly don't think it's only worth playing for the historical value. But this could be a selling point for a lot of people, and if this is the only thing that draws them to it, so be it - at least they'll play it
Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 AM   #5
capsized.

A 2 stars game AT BEST, since it has bloody ACTION sequences EVERYWHERE with you running away from crazy Edna and freaky Ed who seem to be lurking around literally every CORNER. Let's call the Meteor Police and get the author arrested, and maybe I can even finally get over my obsession with stars.. er scores. Bah.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
kamikaze hummingbirds

you could download the deluxe edition if you think the graphics look like crap.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Not legally you couldn't. That's why I didn't mention it in my review
Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
Not legally you couldn't. That's why I didn't mention it in my review

So the download at AGS is illegal?

Also the link on the underground page to Maniac Mansion deluxe is dead too.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Mirror sites are the only place you'll find it. Lucasfan Games shut itself down following the whole KQIX affair.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I know the link is dead, but I'm not going to put AG at risk by linking to legally-dubious content. So dead the link will remain

I was going to mention MMDeluxe in my review, but as Jack quite rightly pointed out in the editing process, saying 'yeah, there's this great remake, but YOU CAN'T PLAY IT NER NER NER NER' would be a bit silly
Old 10-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

But the review did mention the DOTT bonus! (Seriously, that's the best way. )
Old 10-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #12
gaybrush threepwoody

I'm curious.... did LucasArts shut down the Maniac Deluxe project downloads? Or did the LucasFans development team just remove the game out of fear?

Last edited by eriq; 10-15-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Retired Buccaneer

I'm not quite sure, but at the time they shut down they'd been working on a Raiders of the Lost Ark game, and LEC is notoriously touchy about the Indiana Jones license, especially when it relates directly to the movies.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
I'm not quite sure, but at the time they shut down they'd been working on a Raiders of the Lost Ark game, and LEC is notoriously touchy about the Indiana Jones license, especially when it relates directly to the movies.
Ahhh. That's too bad. What I played of Maniac Deluxe was really well done - very polished and professional. An Indy game by the same team would have been a real treat.

I can imagine LucasArts is pretty protective of the Indy trademark.... or should I say Indy(tm)? Especially since the fabled Indy 4 film is supposedly finally going to happen. (CHEERING LOUDLY.)

But hey, at least there's still the absolutely amazing "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth" fan project to look forward to right?! Again, another team that really pays attention to details. The themed site for the project is just wicked. If you haven't checked it out yet, be sure to take a peek at the background art tutorial they have on the site.... so cool! Everything about the project (down to the URL for the project site itself! LOL) shows how passionate the team is about their craft.

Click here to visit "BarnettCollege.com", home of the "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth" project!

Last edited by eriq; 10-15-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #15
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
But hey, at least there's still the absolutely amazing "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth" fan project to look forward to right?! Again, another team that really pays attention to details. The themed site for the project is just wicked. If you haven't checked it out yet, be sure to take a peek at the background art tutorial they have on the site.... so cool! Everything about the project (down to the URL for the project site itself! LOL) shows how passionate the team is about their craft.

Click here to visit "BarnettCollege.com", home of the "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth" project!
Yeah, they're awesome. I played the demo they put out, it was quite good (and even had a couple of nice easter eggs).