Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Why a 30 second delay between posts? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/16634-why-30-second-delay-between-posts.html)

stepurhan 08-30-2006 04:25 AM

Why a 30 second delay between posts?

I understand that there's a delay to stop people spamming the forums by repeatedly posting rubbish. I just wondered why it's as long as 30 seconds.

The reason this came up is I went to make posts in two entirely separate threads and hit the limit. Admittedly the second thread was the word association thread (so not too much reading/thinking required) but it was still a bit of a surprise.

SSH 08-30-2006 07:01 AM

I only ever encounter it when posting in Chit-Chat, which maybe proves its value, if it reduces the rubbish there ;)

Jazhara7 08-30-2006 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSH
I only ever encounter it when posting in Chit-Chat, which maybe proves its value, if it reduces the rubbish there ;)

Perish the thought! Rubbish in ChitChat? Whatever gave you that idea?

There's only cultured, high class conversation there.

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RLacey 08-30-2006 07:08 AM

Such as?

Squinky 08-30-2006 09:10 AM

Well, any conversations involving me, of course.

Intrepid Homoludens 08-30-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaz
There's only cultured, high class conversation there.

Such as?

Such as THIS:

Robsie

Well, it's not exactly high class conversation, but damn! I love the sound that makes!

Lucien21 08-30-2006 11:56 AM

Is it a hollow thud.

RLacey 08-30-2006 12:56 PM

I hate you all.

stepurhan 08-31-2006 04:11 AM

OK, even more odd. Why the 60 second delay on sendng PMs. I know I'm a fast typist but I never expected to hit a limit for sending two PMs like that.

Jackal 08-31-2006 06:17 AM

Despite your questions, you seem to already understand why these limits exist. They're there to prevent abuse. Forums are not chat rooms, PM's are not IM. I don't actually know if these particular limits are AG-specific or software defaults (I didn't even know they existed previously), but neither timeframe is excessive.

stepurhan 08-31-2006 08:47 AM

I understand why the limits exist. I just felt they seemed a bit long.

But I am quite a fast typist and it's just one of those bizarre conincidences I've hit both limits within a couple of days. If you're happy the limits are at an appropriate level then I'm not going to argue they be changed. I'll put up with the ocassional inconvenience if it keeps mad spammers out.

Jackal 08-31-2006 09:26 AM

I'm a fast typist, too, but I find it strange you even discovered them at all. You need to start putting everything you want to say in the first post/message. :D

Doug's our tech guru, of course, so if there are changes to be made, they're in his hands. I just don't really see the problem.

stepurhan 08-31-2006 02:19 PM

I DID put everything I wanted to say in the first post/message.

Two posts, each in separate threads. Two messages, each to separate people.

I can just be very quick and to the point when I want to be.

Jackal 08-31-2006 09:40 PM

Note: :D <--- means joking comment.

I could make a serious comment about the value of anything that doesn't require at least 30 seconds worth of though, but I won't. :P

stepurhan 09-01-2006 12:00 AM

Sorry. Should have put a smiley in myself to show I wasn't taking it personally.

I could make a frivolous comment about how valuable 30 seconds of my brain time is but I won't. :D

fov 09-01-2006 07:45 PM

On several forums recently (not this one) I've encountered a time limit on searches. Now that, I don't get. If the first search doesn't turn up what I'm looking for, of course I'm going to do another one right away...

I guess there could be trolls out there spamming searches to overload a site's server (uh, maybe?), but it seems to be at cross purposes. If you prevent someone from searching, you're just forcing them to post something that could be repetitive (and therefore considered spam by many of the people who read the board regularly).

I remember being surprised the day I learned PMs had a length limit. I guess I was particularly verbose that day. :D

artwking4 09-01-2006 09:49 PM

I think the PM limit should be limited to one every week. There's entirely too much PMing going around here and people like me, SakSquash, Stoofa, etc. are feeling left out. Also, all the popular people PMing each other are probably scheming and plotting something. So knock it off! Unless you're planning my surprise birthday party for next year.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-01-2006 10:00 PM

Well, Dasilvsie and I PM each other pr0n all the time, so ummm......yeah, you really should feel left out.

stepurhan 09-02-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
I remember being surprised the day I learned PMs had a length limit. I guess I was particularly verbose that day. :D

That makes much more sense to me. Unlike e-mails PMs are stored on the server until you choose to delete them. Having a 100 PM limit would be pointless if PMs could be made into enormous files that took up huge chunks of storage. To take an extreme, without the limit you could use the PM system to transfer complete transcripts of books with a passable amount of formatting.

Just out of curiosity, what is the limit on PMs? I've never hit that one. (Guess I need more than 30 seconds to type that much :D )

UPtimist 09-02-2006 01:15 PM

30 seconds is short. I find it fun, the longest I've had is like 10 secs, it doesn't matter, but it's fun when I get "please wait for 1 seconds". At worst in a forum it was 2 minutes once, when there were a lot of spammers there... Some of those spammers are still there, but they're actuall posting usefully now...

Ramble.