You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Nancy Drew 2006 - preview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default Nancy Drew 2006 - preview

Jackal - have you ever played any of the ND games? I have played 4 of them and can't for the life of me see the attraction. They are all the same style - which in itself isn't bad, and I'm sure it saves time in coding, and money for new graphics engines. They seem to produce two games a year for the last several years, with two different teams, whom aficionados claim have slightly different styles about them. You could have fooled me.

Their games routinely sell for $20 US, and they don't even compete for any game kudos, yet they go on and on. Is this the only company that's in it for the long haul, and plans for a long shelf life to recoupe their investment? What is their magic? How do these mediocre games continue to sell? What is their attraction? What keeps people coming back for more?

Any insight?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

The brand name, of course.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Well that might get people to buy one, but why do they continue to buy them?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Unreliable Narrator

I'm guessing because the Nancy Drew games' audience has different standards as to what makes a good game than those of hardcore adventure gamers such as the ones who visit this site. Of course, I'm not an official opinion on the matter.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I've not played any but have been tempted to try them.

I have seen the Four Pack and I saw a 5 pack at Target just recently for $19.99 (I may have to double check that).
Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Yes, I've tried the ND games. They're not my personal cup of tea, either, though I'm hardly the intended demographic.

I assume your question is what its appeal is to adults, as I think it's good solid entertainment for kids/teens/families. And it certainly fills a crucial void in targeting those ages. If not the Nancy games, the pickings are slim.

I think Deirdra's answer is close, although perhaps said too cynically. It's not the "brand name" per se, but the fact that Nancy Drew IS the brand, and that goes a long way. It simply has an appeal of its own after 75 years and 200-ish books. I'm sure all the books follow basically the same formula and probably aren't literary masterpieces, either. Yet obviously they've had enduring success, and the games are following suit.

Beyond that, I think the games just provide a kind of comfort experience. As you say, they are all very similar. But for someone who enjoys them, that pretty much guarantees a positive, pleasant experience a couple times a year. When so many other games are hit or miss, that's something to look forward to.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
[...] though I'm hardly the intended demographic.
You mean you're not a 10-year-old girl? :O
Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Looks can be deceiving, eh?

*runs*

To address the question at hand, I haven't played any of these games either, but I have to admire Her Interactive for hitting upon what seems to be a golden forumla. The Nancy Drew series has had more installments than any other adventure game series I can think of, and apparently it's doing well enough for the developers to keep them running comfortably -- no small feat, in this industry.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Unreliable Narrator

Actually, I didn't mean to be cynical.

...gawrsh, even THAT sounded cynical. I just can't win, now can I?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #10
More slaw!!!

Like most adventure games I play/buy I buy the Nancy Drew games because they are generally fun, with interesting stories and fun puzzles. Additionally, they're not boring, and they have put in a decent effort at atmosphere and entertaining characters.

I'm pretty certain I'm not the target audience, either. I find these games a lot more enjoyable than a lot of other adventure games I've played recently, too.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 AM   #11
Easily amused

I have played all the Nancy Drew games. They are consistantly fun, with lots of puzzles. I'm not too fond of some of the mini-games they include, but the rest of the experience is well worth it.

Quote:
Jackal - have you ever played any of the ND games? I have played 4 of them and can't for the life of me see the attraction. They are all the same style - which in itself isn't bad, and I'm sure it saves time in coding, and money for new graphics engines. They seem to produce two games a year for the last several years, with two different teams, whom aficionados claim have slightly different styles about them. You could have fooled me
And therein lies part of their attraction. They use a familiar tried and true formula. While some of you might find this a negative, I'm glad that a popular game series sticks to it's basic formula. Indeed, if they tried to change to reach more gamers or update to an exciting 3D world with more action they would lose the inherent feel of the game. People play games for many reasons. For some, consistency of gameplay is an important attraction that a series can have. Just bringing back the same characters/environment, but so called 'improving' the way you move, do puzzles, etc. doesn't always make it a must buy for existing fans.

Last edited by colpet; 07-12-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
No no, I just scream like a 10 year old girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
Actually, I didn't mean to be cynical.
I didn't really mean to comment on your intentions. Only that your wording allowed a pretty cynical interpretation (namely, that people are suckers and will buy anything with a popular brand name.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
Indeed, if they tried to change to reach more gamers or update to an exciting 3D world with more action they would lose the inherent feel of the game.
You're speaking in extremes, but changes don't have to be so radical. The games could easily support more locations and characters, perhaps have them be a little more dynamic (instead of having everyone and everything rooted to one spot the entire game), and their camera panning is in definite need of improvement. Updates like that might make the series more attractive to some without changing the nature of the games. I'm not saying this is financially feasible for HI, of course, but they are issues that could be addressed.

Back to the topic in general, what's surprising about the ND games for me is that they're not really that easy. Considering they're aimed at ages 10 and up, the expectation is that they'd be pretty much a breeze for anyone squarely in the "and up" category. But there's actually a fair bit of challenge, so it's wrong to think of these solely as "kids' games", that's for sure.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #13
Easily amused

Quote:
Back to the topic in general, what's surprising about the ND games for me is that they're not really that easy. Considering they're aimed at ages 10 and up, the expectation is that they'd be pretty much a breeze for anyone squarely in the "and up" category. But there's actually a fair bit of challenge, so it's wrong to think of these solely as "kids' games", that's for sure.
They are challenging enough when played at senior detective level. I like the variety of puzzles they incorporate. The games also manage to give you the feel of the books. One of the things I enjoyed the most about the books was the secret passages and hidden rooms that Nancy would find. Most of the games have that element.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #14

I'm definitely not the target demographic, but I am female... with that said, I've played (and liked) several of the ND games and like others have mentioned, the basic premise is the same. And that's not a bad thing. For me, they're the gaming equivalent of comfort food - it's not something I eat (play) all the time, but when I do it makes me feel all warm and cozy.

Plus, as a kid, I probably read all the Nancy Drew books before moving on to bigger and better mystery authors. So, in a way, this could be a jumping off point (game-wise) for girl gamers.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #15
Roar?

I adore the ND games. They're not the hardest games and certainly not innovative, but they are fun, imaginative, and allow me to indulge in enjoyable yet juvinile puzzles that no other adventure game would have (designing silly outfits or feed horses, for example).

Colpet you're sooo right about the secret passages and rooms. I love that kind of thing!!

I grew up with Nancy Drew and I was obsessed with the many ND book series so I think there's also an element of familiarity there that draws me in, plus something I just can't put my finger on. Rather like the books. Even as a young teenager I read cleverer mystery books (esp. the Agatha Christie books) but something about ND enthralls me.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Damn, I may have to pick up that 4 pack and try them out.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
Easily amused

Quote:
Damn, I may have to pick up that 4 pack and try them out.
I'd highy recommend Message in Haunted Mansion and Treasure in the Royal Tower. These were 2 of my faves.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #19
Roar?

Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake and Danger on Deception Island are my favourites!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #20

I don't mind them either. They aren't classics but nice adventures to play when you want to relax and explore and don't want to stretch the brain too much.

That sounded way more patronising than I intended