You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Da Vinci Code Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Da Vinci Code Review

Jack, you are my new best adventure games reviewer. It's really cool how you went over every single aspect of the game that made it frustrating for me, and highlighted it for potential buyers. Like the game being over sensitive to clicking both mouse buttons at the same time, rendering the PC version unplayable, or the fact that you can get caught fighting 2 people at the same time. Most other reviews I read didn't even mention these problems. Thanks for a job very well done

Firefox rules
Old 06-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

That's got to be the kindest way I've ever been called "anal" in my life. But seriously, thanks. I probably went into more detail than I needed to, but this game is already going to be a borderline adventure for most people, so I didn't want there to be any false expectations. It always amazes me how so many reviews leave out major issues entirely. I can understand it from print rags, but I don't get it from online sites.

Anyway, it's too bad they buggered up the combat, on PC, anyway. I liked the PS2 version better using a gamepad when I tried it at E3, and would likely have given it 3.5 stars for the console version, but I can't say for sure.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
merely human

In honesty I had to force myself to a tiny bit to read through the entire review - mainly because it's seriously detailed about the controls technicality and such, which is understandable - but it's a precisely well written one and communicated to me all I needed to know. Thanks for that.

And a question. Considering that adventures (pure, borderline, etc.) are crossplatforming now, wouldn't it be good for AG to place a bit more emphasis on consoles and portables these days (I was a bit disappointed that you didn't offer at least a mini review of the console version of The DaVinci Code)? Seems that in light of such games that this site may be seen as too PC-centric, I'd love to see adventures on Xbox, DS, PS3, etc. covered regularly, otherwise you should just call the site AdventureGamersPC.com. In the end it amounts to more exposure for you to the console part of the industry and to the console/casual players looking for more than your average Dead or Alive boobfest but not wanting to meddle with PC specs and such.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of multiple games and multiple systems for comparison. I have a PC, so that's the version that got reviewed. If someone's looking to get rid of their Xbox, I'll PM my address.

And since we DO cover console adventures (see: Hype-o-Meter, latest news item, several console-only reviews in the last year), I don't see us as being unfairly PC-centric.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
merely human

So how's your marketing as a site in terms of letting the world know that you're covering console and portable adventure games as well?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #6

I loved that review! So clever, funny and full of information at the same time!
Old 06-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
So how's your marketing as a site in terms of letting the world know that you're covering console and portable adventure games as well?
You mean, besides the two things featured prominently on the front page that I already pointed out? And in the last year, we've reviewed PlayStation games, DS games, mobile phone games, maybe more.

I don't know what you mean by "marketing", anyway. We don't market ourselves as anything but an adventure site. When adventures make noise exclusively on consoles, we're all over it. When it's cross platform, we don't discriminate in our coverage, but come review time, we work with what we've got. For the sake of the minimal difference between cross-platform reviews on mainstream sites, it's certainly not worth doling out unavailable cash just to compare versions.