You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback AdventureGamers.Com and BG&E??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 07:32 PM   #1

Default AdventureGamers.Com and BG&E??

What's up with not acknowledging Beyond Good and Evil as an adventure game? It's not really listed anywhere on the site. While there are some action elements, it is *mostly* an adventure game, and contains the story and puzzles to be considered as such.

If nothing else, BG&E is a glimpse at the possible future of adventure games, and should not be ignored... while not too challenging, it's incredibly fun and engaging.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

There are lots of games we don't have on our site. That's the way it goes.

Last edited by tabacco; 01-03-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #3

Meh, I think it should have at least been acknowledged on the hype-o-meter or something. If you need more staff, I'm sure there are hundreds of talented individuals who'd very willingly contribute to the site. Obviously you don't want to sacrific quality, AdventureGamers is kinda the last great adventure site (well, currently), and I always like to read what you guys have to say.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

The whole point of the Hype-O-Meter is to list games we're excited about that haven't come out yet. BG&E shipped in November of last year.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:00 PM   #5

Of course I understand the purpose of the Hype-O-Meter... So you're saying BG&E was on the Hype-O-Meter before that? Or mentioned in news posts? I don't recall you guys ever *acknowledging* its existence.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

That might be because we rarely cover hybrids.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Banned User

Adventure Gamers has built its reputation as a "pure" adventure game site. That has been its function since its inception. While the vast majority of both our forum members and our staff enjoy other types of games, it is our dedication to adventure games that has led folks like Ragnar Tornquist (Developer of The Longest Journey) to call Adventure Gamers "the best pure adventure gaming site on the Internet."

Now, given that, some of these quotes from other review sites might explain our decision not to feature BG&E:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actiontrip
In short, BG&E is an action-adventure/platformer hybrid, ironically enough without any platform jumping. The main character jumps automatically when near a reachable crate, etc. If I had to describe BG&E in a single sentence I'd say that, gameplay wise, it's a cross between Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Rayman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpy
BG&E actually plays similarly to a modern Zelda game
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamePro
It’s a little bit of old-tyme [sic] graphic adventure and a healthy chunk of Zelda-style dungeon adventure with stealthy Splinter Cell segments and obvious Pokémon Snap influences.
And finally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpot
Beyond Good & Evil is an action adventure game... The game does have combat, but it's a fairly straightforward system that suffices without excelling... in rooms with multiple guards, you'll have to either be a fast shot or find a quieter way through... The game's 10- to 15-hour quest also has you piloting a hovercraft, which is your primary mode of transport on Hillys. The craft can shoot, and you'll upgrade it over time to fire more powerful blasts, as well as give it the ability to jump... you earn credits by defeating enemies...
In other words, BG&E may have adventure game elements, but it certainly isn't the "pure" adventure game to which the site is dedicated.

However, I personally have heard nothing but raves about it, other than its short length.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
Umbilicus Mundi

I've played it and it certainly isn't a pure adventure. I don't even know what to call it, but it's not a pure adventure. Outcast is more adventure than BG&E.
It is one of the best games of this year, though.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:27 AM   #9
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I haven't played it yet. For some reason the sound doesn't work on my PC. But I heard a lot of great things about it. It's no doubt a brilliant game, and it probably has a lot of brilliant adventure elements, but based on what's been written on other sites I don't think this is a game we should cover. (Jim already explained.)

The reason we stick so strictly to pure adventure games is that there's already plenty of sites out there that focus on action-adventures already. In fact, a lot of the adventure game sites include action-adventures in their scope too (most notably JA+, which has even reviewed strategy or FPS games). Reviewing only pure adventure games is sort of our 'core business'. We want to be the best in that single area and not 'sort of OK' in lots of different areas.

So, while we don't have anything against BG&E, we won't review it. But just so you know, we did try to get Michel Ancel from Ubi Soft to participate in our Q&A article we posted recently, but he was unfortunately unavailable.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
So, while we don't have anything against BG&E, we won't review it. But just so you know, we did try to get Michel Ancel from Ubi Soft to participate in our Q&A article we posted recently, but he was unfortunately unavailable.

That's to bad. He seems like a great designer.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #11

That makes sense, sorry for the confusion. I was just a bit confused whether or not you guys were looking at BG&E as the future of adventure, or more of Broken Sword style, but your explanation makes sense.

And truth be told, pure adventure rocks everything else, so you guys are in the right area. Keep up the good work!