You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Hype-o-Meter update, post-E3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Hype-o-Meter update, post-E3

Yeah yeah, I know, this update has been a long time coming. But with E3 looming during what was already the busiest adventure release schedule I can EVER remember, there just wasn't any point in scrambling to do an update until now.

So at long last, we're caught up again. In fact, we're ahead of the game and have to slow down. There are several games that we got early glimpses of at the show that truly deserve spots on the list, but can't really lay a claim to any "hype" until we start generating some! And that will happen as we get into our E3 game previews. So while the H-o-M is temporary by nature, this one is perhaps even moreso than usual.

But for today, here's where we stand:

1) Sam & Max: Season 1... Nostalgia pick? Telltale favouritism? Um, not quite. Let's just put it this way. On the front page of the daily E3 newspaper last Friday were only two games: Sam & Max... and Halo 3. Pretty heady company, little buddy. So if there is a more worthy successor to Dreamfall's enduring claim on the #1 spot, I don't know what it is.

2) Phoenix Wright: Justice for All... Hold it!! Isn't this only a big deal to Nintendo DS owners? Well, yes, but it's a REALLY big deal to DS owners. And don't look now, but that's not just a fringe group of ĂĽbergeeks anymore, and the DS is quickly becoming a major player in the adventure scene. Let's hope that more publishers have the courage to keep the trend moving. But really this pick isn't about championing the DS. It's about being the sequel to easily one of the top adventures of last year. (I'm overlooking the fact that there's no Edgeworth, though that seriously bums me out.)

3) Broken Sword: The Angel of Death... Holding steady at #3, just leapfrogged by two new games. The screenshots don't excite a lot of people, and rightfully so, but they aren't final, and hey -- it's Broken Sword!

4) The Secrets of Da Vinci... This is NOT The Da Vinci Code, the action/adventure based on Dan Brown's book, nor is it a cheap rip-off to capitalize on the hype. No no, this is the first-person historical adventure from Kheops and its partners. The growing number of Kheops fans will already be optimistic about this title, but having seen the game in action, that optimism seems well-founded, with great graphics, challenging gameplay, and a few new wrinkles thrown in for variety. The game won't be on the list much longer, however, as it's due for release imminently in the UK, and shortly thereafter in North America.

5) Runaway 2... Hey, this slid down a notch! That will make the naysayers happy, but despite all the hatin', this is still one of the most highly anticipated games of the year for many. So bring it on!

6) Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express... A new Agatha Christie game is hype-worthy in and of itself. Sure, the last one got mixed reviews, but the developers seem intent on learning from the original experience and delivering everything players want this time around. Except Hercule Poirot as a playable character, but what can you do. Our little grey cells just aren't up to Poirot's standards. Hastings, maybe, but not Poirot.

7) Uru Live... We sure didn't see this one coming. I'm not exactly sure if this qualifies as a new game, an old game, or even a traditional game at all, but the re-launching of Cyan's multiplayer Uru on GameTap later this year is a major event. It's not everyone's cup of tea, of course, but then what game on the list is?

8) Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine... Also slipping in the E3 aftermath is the independent Sierra-style adventure from Himalaya. The game is charging hard down the home stretch, however, and it'll soon be big news again, so don't wander off.

9) HCA - The Ugly Prince Duckling... Where the heck did THIS game come from?? (And I don't mean Scandinavia, either.) Announced just prior to E3, this fictional take on the life and works of Hans Christian Andersen is anything but an ugly duckling itself, looking every bit as good in action as it does in its stunning screenshots. Don't be surprised to see this game leap up the charts as more is revealed in the coming months.

10) Secret Files: Tunguska... Even with the recent announcement of a North American publisher to go with its fabulous looking screenshots and trailers, Tunguska just barely clung to the last spot against some furious competition, as there wasn't much to see of it at E3. Whether it's able to hold its position once all our E3 coverage shakes out remains to be seen, but make no mistake, this game is definitely a looker!

And there we have it. We saw... get this... 30 adventures at E3. 30!! And not every upcoming adventure was even there, of course. So narrowing the list down to these 10 was incredibly difficult, and for the first time in quite a while, there was a fair bit of debate about what should and shouldn't be on the list -- not because these 10 didn't deserve it, but because other games deserved it as well. It's a nice dilemma to have!

Of those that didn't make the list, honourable mention (and I mean really REALLY coughnextupdatecough honourable mention) goes to Experience112, Overclocked, and Hotel Dusk: Room 215, each of which looks poised to entrench themselves on the Hype-o-Meter for many months to come. But for now they're still waiting their turn until more can be revealed and the hype machine starts turning in their favour.

So that's it for now, but check again in a couple weeks.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Objection! Phoenix Wright should be number one!

And Edgeworth is in the game, nothing on how big his role is yet but hes there in the trailer

But wow, 30 adventure? is there a list of them anywhere? I dont remember seeing that many in the 3 E3 articles but Im probably wrong
Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I may have miscounted, but I think 28 of them are mentioned in the E3 articles.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

Bah. A cameo, yeah, but he's not the head prosecutor.

And your objection is overruled. You lose a point.

EDIT: All 30 are mentioned in the article, though not all have links, and some were mentioned only in passing.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Burning

Based on the trailer, better GameTap than Sam & Max be number one.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
Based on the trailer, better GameTap than Sam & Max be number one.
Oh burn!! You cut so deep!

Except it really is a Sam & Max game. GameTap's the distribution partner, the trailer was made for GameTap's booth, so the trailer talks about GameTap.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Bah. A cameo, yeah, but he's not the head prosecutor.

And your objection is overruled. You lose a point.

EDIT: All 30 are mentioned in the article, though not all have links, and some were mentioned only in passing.
Take That! It might be more than a cameo, he could very well be the "Boss" Prosecutor in the last case! and the Last case is usualy the longest
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

You know, it's this page/forum's fault that I've desided to buy a DS..( ) Witch I really can't afford.. But, I'm turning 18 this summer so maybe a get a big slump of money?
Thought I should wait until DS lite is released..

interesting list, not everything I'm interested in, but it seems to attract all sorts of adventuregamers, and that's great!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

I had reservations at first, but I am so happy I bought a DS. Best purchase I made last year.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to qrious

Secret Files: Tunguska should be higher....

also, who cares about nintendo ds???
you might start adding adventures for mobiles on the list...
Old 05-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera
You know, it's this page/forum's fault that I've desided to buy a DS..( ) Witch I really can't afford.. But, I'm turning 18 this summer so maybe a get a big slump of money?
Thought I should wait until DS lite is released..

interesting list, not everything I'm interested in, but it seems to attract all sorts of adventuregamers, and that's great!
I would hold out for the lite. The screen itself is worth it, and I actually find it easier to hold than the original DS.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrious
also, who cares about nintendo ds???
you might start adding adventures for mobiles on the list...
Oh ho! Someone's a troll, I guess. I'll bite.

The DS is an actual gaming platform - it's sole purpose is to be used for playing games.

Mobile phones are in fact phones, with shitty game stuff grafted on so marketing people can add more features to the bullet list on the box.

If you don't see a difference there you might be blind.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #13

The DS is an actual gaming platform - that has what... 5% of the market?

if we reach the point to buy a gameboy-like console to play adventures then things must be pretty bad...
Old 05-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Lazy adventurer

Send a message via Yahoo to wicked

Sam & Max deserve nr 1. Go TellTale!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:

if we reach the point to buy a gameboy-like console to play adventures then things must be pretty bad...
Of course. The more gaming systems get adventure games, the worse for the genre.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #16
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked
Sam & Max deserve nr 1. Go TellTale!
Agreed.

Ok, so they have released one trailer and that's it, probably less than any other game on the HoM, but that single trailer has generated more hype with the mainstream gaming press than everything else combined.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:

The PC doesn't rule the gaming market either, but adventures are pretty much only released for it. Does this mean only PC adventures should be covered by AG, and all other platforms ignored?
Old 05-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
The PC doesn't rule the gaming market either, but adventures are pretty much only released for it. Does this mean only PC adventures should be covered by AG, and all other platforms ignored?
not ignored but i think putting a ds adventure in second place is too much.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #19
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Secret Files: Tunguska should be higher....
Why? Just cuz? Frankly, it was extremely lucky to hold onto #10 after all the other games we've seen.

As for the DS, it's not just another platform. It's a platform that offers (and utilizes) new possibilities for gameplay. Unless I'm forgetting some PC adventures that feature voice recognition, touch screen capability, etc. Feel free to correct me if I've simply overlooked something similar on PC. And that's in addition to portability, of course.

Ignoring for the moment that you completely made up the 5% figure, what you're saying is that DS adventures appeal to 5% of the PC adventure market. So what? Who made that the defining measurement? How many PC adventures sell well enough to generate sequels? Do you think Capcom is generously operating at a loss just so we few 5% PC/DS owners can have another game? Or is it possible that Phoenix Wright was a widely popular adventure that simply wasn't played by much of the PC adventure hardcore?

Oh, and just for the record, I would gladly add a mobile phone game if it were something that generated widespread interest.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #20
woof

Quote:
not ignored but i think putting a ds adventure in second place is too much.
But Phoenix Wright is in second place.....Pheeeoooniiixx

You should play the game before you go bad mouthing it