You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Ernest Adams Interview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 12:49 PM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default Ernest Adams Interview

Great stuff. I especially like the last question and his answer to it. (for those who don't want to bother going and reading it themselves
Quote:
I guess my last question would be: do you see adventure games as a core genre that is still significant in the industry, or do you think action-adventures have taken up that place? I see a lot of examples from adventure games at this conference. I also just leafed through your new book and you dedicate a whole chapter on adventure games (like many other game design books have). So it's still significant here, but will it be in the industry?

It's not very financially significant right now. I think they will come back but they may not be in the form that we're used to. I think that whatever they do come back as, it may not be Monkey Island or Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones changed from being a story adventure to an action-adventure really, once it went over to 3D. But yeah, I think they will be back in some form.

I personally happen to think that adventure games are the only truly new computer-generated form of entertainment. Before there were computer flying simulators there were mechanical flight simulators, and mechanical racing games. I remember mechanical soccer and sports games. Before RPGs there was Dungeons & Dragons on paper and pencil. Adventure games are one of the very few truly new forms of interactive entertainment. I think they're very, very important.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 12-31-2003, 01:16 PM   #2
Under pressure.

Yeah, I mentioned it before but this guy summed up a lot of points that I fully agree with.

So in my book, he pretty much rules

--Erwin
Old 12-31-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
Babbling as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
So in my book, he pretty much rules
No kidding. That article blew my socks off! What a great week for AG articles
Old 01-02-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Ernest Adams is a walking library of opinions on games. I regret not having had more time to talk with him. (Which was entirely my fault for saying half an hour ought to be enough!)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #5

I would have loved to hear his thoughts and opinions on stuff like the Erasmatron, and games like In Memoriam.

Still, pretty nice interview.

Old 01-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #6
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Yeah, I wanted to go down that road when I referenced the Agitating for Dramatic Change article, but I ran out of time.