Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Any other feature articles? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/13542-any-other-feature-articles.html)

Toefur 02-26-2006 10:26 PM

Any other feature articles?

Mostly the articles the site has are mostly reviews and previews. While I do like them, especially because the quality at AG is so high, but I also enjoy when we have articles that aren't necessarily looking over a specific game, but giving us an insight to some aspect of adventure gaming.

Anything lik this coming again soon?

Jackal 02-27-2006 06:31 AM

As a matter of fact, the one following today's is exactly that. :)

Strong feature articles are usually far more work than game-specific ones, since a whole lotta research is often involved. It's easy to run opinion pieces, but frankly, many op-eds aren't worth the cyberspace used to post them, so we won't opt for a cheap fix here and there.

Having said that... I'd be interested to hear some ideas of what issues are piquing peope's interest these days.

Ninth 02-27-2006 06:44 AM

What about "Jack Allin's Top 20 greatest AGs of all time"? ;)

Or you could make something about which developpers/publishers are now leading the AG industry. Many of us still have Sierra and LA printed in our brains. Maybe it's time that we learn new names...

Kurufinwe 02-27-2006 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
Or you could make something about which developpers/publishers are now leading the AG industry. Many of us still have Sierra and LA printed in our brains. Maybe it's time that we learn new names...

This has already been done. :D

Jackal 02-27-2006 06:54 AM

Ha! :D I doubt I could ever agree with myself on a top three, let alone 20.

Actually, though, a new top 20 is definitely on the radar, but it'll have a slightly different focus, a slightly different approach. Can't give more details, because they don't exist yet. :)

Ninth 02-27-2006 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal
Ha! :D I doubt I could ever agree with myself on a top three, let alone 20.

Actually, though, a new top 20 is definitely on the radar, but it'll have a slightly different focus, a slightly different approach. Can't give more details, because they don't exist yet. :)

Sounds good! I'm a sucker for these top features. :)

And Kuru (I can call you Kuru, can't I? ;) ), well... :pan:

the gnome 02-27-2006 07:55 AM

Or a history of Revolution Software, Sierra, Lucasarts, Magnetic Scrolls, perhaps something on a designer or an artist, along with an interview.... Even a feature on AG box art would be nice...

Jake 02-27-2006 10:31 AM

History articles would be pretty awesome, but they're hard to pull off in a unique way that's actually worthwhile, especially when things like Wikipedia exist now :shifty:

Dasilva 02-27-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
History articles would be pretty awesome, but they're hard to pull off in a unique way that's actually worthwhile, especially when things like Wikipedia exist now :shifty:

Yes, like the a video feature of the history of a gaming series would be interesting, or a company, Like they do at Gamespot.

You dont need that much, a decent digital video camera can be picked up cheeply, get a plain backdrop and use windows Movie maker or Adobe after effects for those who know how to work Limewire. :P

Jake 03-03-2006 02:08 PM

Gamespot has a full video editing team and a small TV studio in their office you know?

Huz 03-03-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake

The key, then, is in tying these raw facts together. For instance, how did the commercial success of one company spur another into existence? How did the failures of other companies lead Sam and Max 2 to get cancelled? Who ripped off whose interface to create better games?

I'm not even sure if you can make such comparisons, and even the concept of such an article is making me bored, but you get the idea.

And as for the video thing, there's always Tabacco's project. Not sure if audio/video features are the kind of thing your average website visitor would actually be interested in, though. I don't think I would be...

tabacco 03-03-2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva
Yes, like the a video feature of the history of a gaming series would be interesting, or a company, Like they do at Gamespot.

You dont need that much, a decent digital video camera can be picked up cheeply, get a plain backdrop and use windows Movie maker or Adobe after effects for those who know how to work Limewire. :P

Er... and a couple of weeks to write, shoot, and edit. Doing a crappy video production is easy, but doing a good one takes time and lots of effort.