You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Blade Runner review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Mostly absent

Default Blade Runner review

Congrats to Chris for his first review at AG.

First let me point out that I have only seen the Blade Runner movie once in my life and that was many, many years ago so my memory of the details was all but clear when I played the game for the first time around four months ago.

If it would be up to me Blade Runner wouldn't get 4,5 stars, more like 3,5 I think, but I can understand why you would feel it's worthy of the high score. I just happen to have slightly different views on some of the games strengths and weaknesses. For example I wasn't as impressed with the graphics as you seemed to have been. Maybe I was spoiled by the graphical splendour that I was served when playing Fahrenheit a few weeks earlier, but the pixelation just seemed like a bit too much for a game from 1997. The atmosphere was effectively built up by the great artistry of it all though and the cutscenes were, as you said, visually impressive.

I'm not necessarily a big fan of the story either, which I found decent but somehow soulless. I'm not sure what it was, but something was missing.
The multiple endings were nicely done though and unlike in Fahrenheit where some endings were more satisfying than others Blade Runner's seemed more in balance.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I enjoyed Blade Runner, though I felt there were too many points in the game where you would not know what to do next. If you hadn't triggered a certain event, you would be out of luck as for proceeding in the game. And on a minor side note, the shooting practice part would not work on my computer for some reason.

Anyway, it was a fun game, but definitely not worth 4 and a half stars.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
And on a minor side note, the shooting practice part would not work on my computer for some reason.
Same here actually. Don't know why though.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

The shooting practice works randomly. Sometimes you'll enter and no one will be around. Its an odd bug, you just need to walk through it, then enter again. I'm not sure what causes it.

I loved this game. It was a nice take on the blade runner story.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #5

I'd rate this game a 4 out of 5, and while it has its flaws, it has one thing going for it (and how!), and that's Atmosphere, with a capital A. I actually liked the graphics (though I played the game on release, so that might account for it). The ending was a bit confusing though, especially since I hadn't seen the film for years.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I'd rate this game a 4 out of 5, and while it has its flaws, it has one thing going for it (and how!), and that's Atmosphere, with a capital A. I actually liked the graphics (though I played the game on release, so that might account for it). The ending was a bit confusing though, especially since I hadn't seen the film for years.
The game has multiple endings....and its very different from the movie.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I've never seen the movie, though I played the game.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
More slaw!!!

The game was a lot better than the movie. It goes Game-Book-Movie in my mind. But I think I liked the Game better than the book because I was expecting the book to be the same as the game/movie somehow.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
The game has multiple endings....and its very different from the movie.
Spoiler:
Totally forgot about that, you can join the 'clones' or kill them or something right?
Perhaps I should just re-play the game.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 02-13-2006 at 02:41 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 02-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #10
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Now, I might be going crazy here, but wasn't there already a Blade Runner review on the site?

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 02-13-2006, 01:17 AM   #11
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Spoiler:
Totally forgot about that, you can join the 'clones' or kill them or something right?
You are correct and you might want to put spoiler tags around that.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:30 AM   #12

Whoops! Sorry about that (thanks AFGNCAAP), didn't know what I was thinking

me

Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek
Now, I might be going crazy here, but wasn't there already a Blade Runner review on the site?
Yes, there was. But it was a skin job review that needed to be retired.

Actually, it was a really old review that was desperate for a (quality) upgrade. That review gave the game 4 stars, so BR got a bit of a score boost, too.

Note: this answer doesn't prove you're not crazy, anyway.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to backdrifter

Methinks it's about time I made an appearance and answered a little of this feedback!

For starters, the score. Prhaps I was a little over-zelous with the 4 and a half stars, but I certainly wouldnt score a game higher than I saw fit. I've seen WAY too much of that in my time at various websites to try a little myself! Blade Runner does have it's faults; sometimes difficult to see what to do next, and that weird bug with the shooting practice, but for me at least, it stands just below my personal favourites of the genre (the Monkey Island games, The Longest Journey, and Grim Fandango) in terms of both enjoyment, and storyline. Like jjacob says, the sense of atmosphere is simply incredible. It's taken one of the films main plus points, and perhaps even cranked it up a notch (I'm sneaking Futurama references into forum posts now!).

There's a post at gamefaqs.com mentioning a handful of the game's multiple endings, apparently there's over 12, or so I've been told, though I've personally only seen a handful.

Oh, and thak you Mattsius for starting my very first public feedback thread at AG! Hopefully the first of many.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:25 AM   #15
More slaw!!!

I had never understood the shooting practice bit before. It never worked for me, there was nothing to do in there, and I thought maybe I was just dense and just couldn't figure out what to do.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #16
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I had never understood the shooting practice bit before. It never worked for me, there was nothing to do in there, and I thought maybe I was just dense and just couldn't figure out what to do.
It seems to be a common problem. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're not dense though.