Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   New staff announcement (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/13188-new-staff-announcement.html)

Jackal 02-08-2006 10:50 AM

New staff announcement

That swooshing sound you're hearing is the new revolving door we've had installed on the AG office. And who's making it swoosh, you ask? Good question!!

As much as we'd love to keep staff forever (and for some reason, the lifetime contracts signed in blood are proving staggeringly difficult to enforce), there does come a time when people move on, typically for some mundane reason called "real life". But as some go, others join, and today we're pleased to welcome four new... or two new, and two semi-new members to staff.

First timers are Chris Pickering from the UK, and Mark Hengst, from the ol' US of A. Both experienced writers and reviewers of all genres, these guys will be contributing some sizzling new articles as staff writers. On the forums, you can find them hiding behind the aliases "backdrifter" and "Hengst2404". For the life of me I can't remember which is which. If only there were some easily recognizable way to distinguish them. I'll figure it out one of these days, though.

And proving that the more things change, the more they stay the same, re-joining as a staff writer after a long absence is Johann Walter, from France. Many of you will recognize Johann as "Kurufinwe" from the boards. Johann was already beating most of the writers on word count just in forum posts alone, so we thought it was time to get him to work again for real.

Last but not least, we welcome back Mats Biström, who was here momentarily last year before running in terror to Finland's army. But he got tired of the cushy life and decided to head back to where battles are REALLY fought. That's right, here at AG. We haven't officially firmed up Mats' role yet, but there will definitely be lots of coffee fetching, yessirs, and unconditional praise involved... Wait, that can't be right... Oh, sorry, I was reading from my "tasks to spring on Mats next week" list. :o On the "fit for public consumption list", it says part time news updater/PR assistant. Yeah, that's it. Absolutely nobody will have heard of Mats, but he goes by the name "Mattsius" on the forums. Okay, maybe a few of you will.

I have every confidence that each of these guys will be a tremendous addition to the staff, so please welcome me in joining them! Glad to have you all.

And stay tuned for more swooshing, coming soon to an adventure site near you.

Dale Baldwin 02-08-2006 10:55 AM

Does that mean we have to share the doughnuts now?

Nice one guys :)

Kolzig 02-08-2006 11:01 AM

Congrats to each and every one of you, especially to my fellow finnish forumite Mats. :)

Wormsie 02-08-2006 11:03 AM

Congrats, all, Mattsie especially! :)

Ninth 02-08-2006 11:03 AM

Kurufinwe used to be a staff member? Duh.
And here I was thinking he was just a very prolific newbie... :crazy:

Congratulations to all the new guys. I'm looking forward to critic your articles. ;)

AFGNCAAP 02-08-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth

Tell me about it. And I am supposed to be privy to all the "staff secrets"! :crazy: Man, you learn all life long.

Congratulations, guys!

Lucien21 02-08-2006 11:13 AM

Congrats to all the new and returning slaves.

the gnome 02-08-2006 11:14 AM

Congrats and some congrats too!

SakSquash 02-08-2006 11:22 AM

Fake.

fov 02-08-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin

There are donuts? Why wasn't I told?! :(

Welcome, new guys. :)

Mattsius 02-08-2006 12:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the greets. :)

@Jack: Do you want that with cream and sugar, sir?

Oh and Jack, that should be "running in terror from Finland's army."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin

Not with me you don't. Those things make you fat you know. :P
Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Welcome, new guys. :)

So the semi-new guys aren't welcome? I never liked you anyway... :shifty:

;)

fov 02-08-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattsius
So the semi-new guys aren't welcome? I never liked you anyway... :shifty:

:frown: After I pined for you the whole time you were in the army, this is how you treat me? Pfft.

*flings cup while running with scissors*

Take that! :D

Melanie68 02-08-2006 12:12 PM

YAAAAY!!!! :) Welcome (+/- back) :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...atulations.gif

Mattsius 02-08-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
:frown: After I pined for you the whole time you were in the army, this is how you treat me? Pfft.

*flings cup while running with scissors*

Take that! :D

Read my lips signature. Ha! :D

Kurufinwe 02-08-2006 12:24 PM

Hah! Italics at last! Now I can complete my diabolical plan to take over AGs! Next, to find a way to get Bold on top of Italics. Hmm, that might prove tricky... I hope it doesn't actually involve doing any kind of work... But then, everything is simple! First, to coerce tabacco into giving me full powers over the site. And then, I'll turn the staff into obedient slaves, lock fov up into the Tech Help forum (which will have been renamed to the 'Why DOSBox is better than VDMSound' forum), kick Jackal back to peddling meat on the streets of Tarna where he belongs, and drown Marek into a vat of cheese (and then put his body on some mammoth's tusks --- oh, that may prove tiresome, I think I'll have one of my staff members do it for me).

And then ALL THE DOUGHNUTS WILL BE MINE!!! And I'll spend my life eating, and eating, and eating them all, until diabetes finally carries me off in gangrenous ecstasy!

Yaaaaaaay, that's gonna be fun! :9~
Now, just to figure out just where my bloody italics are...

fov 02-08-2006 12:25 PM

:crazy:

Hey, is that another swoosh I hear?

:devil:

AFGNCAAP 02-08-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe

Looking for something?
Looking for something?
Looking for something?

Jackal 02-08-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth

A-hahahaha!! Oh man, is that ever stupi... Err... actually, here's the kicker. I didn't know, either. :crazy:

Quote:

Oh and Jack, that should be "running in terror from Finland's army."

If you weren't running in terror TO it, then you didn't work here long enough the first time. :devil:

Quote:

There's a one-post moratorium on italics to see if a newb self-destructs. Score one for management!!

Intrepid Homoludens 02-08-2006 12:35 PM

welcome!

:shifty: Now get to work!

backdrifter 02-08-2006 12:37 PM

Howdy people :)

Kurufinwe 02-08-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal
There's a one-post moratorium on italics to see if a newb self-destructs. Score one for management!!

Foiled again! :(

No matter, I'll try again in three years. AND THIS TIME I WILL SUCCEED!

Jackal 02-08-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Howdy people :)

And Chris sneaks in with a loquacious entrance!! There's just no stopping him! :D

Quote:

No matter, I'll try again in three years. AND THIS TIME I WILL SUCCEED!

If it's the status you want, then yeah, you'll have to wait. If it's just the FEELING you're after, then you can just hit yourself repeatedly with a hammer. That comes pretty close.

RLacey 02-08-2006 12:46 PM

Welcome to the four of ye!

Mattsius 02-08-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Now I can complete my diabolical plan to take over AGs!

Tsk, tsk. Some people just aim too low in life to ever get anywhere.*
Quote:

If you weren't running in terror TO it, then you didn't work here long enough the first time. :devil:

That's the funny part, I was running FROM BOTH. :D

*Those that don't know what I'm trying to say, ask a mod or something. Those bastards know everything...

backdrifter 02-08-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

And Chris sneaks in with a loquacious entrance!! There's just no stopping him! :D

I like to think it shows off my mild-mannered, quite side :P

fov 02-08-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

That's the funny part, I was running FROM BOTH. :D

Apparently you don't quite grasp the concept of running from something. If you go in a circle you just end up where you started. ;)

Mattsius 02-08-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Apparently you don't quite grasp the concept of running from something. If you go in a circle you just end up where you started. ;)

And you're telling me this now!

wildcat 02-08-2006 01:22 PM

Welcome one and all. Now someone else will get tortured instead of me.

Wait, did I say that out loud? :P

Chris Pickering- the name is familiar but brain doesn't function. What stuff have you written?

RLacey 02-08-2006 01:26 PM

This Chris Pickering?

hengst2404 02-08-2006 01:40 PM

Welcome people and I look froward to writing for and working with you all. I have been AG gaming since the day my dad bought me the original Police Quest for our top of the line Tandy computer.

fov 02-08-2006 02:02 PM

Ahh, a kindred spirit. Except my dad brought me Leisure Suit Larry. And it was a pirated copy. :crazy:

backdrifter 02-08-2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
This Chris Pickering?

That's me, yep. Though just why I seem to be listed with only those four, pretty sub-par reviews out of the hundreds upon hundreds I've written, I dont know!

RLacey 02-08-2006 02:03 PM

Tut tut, fov. I've called the police; they're on their way...

RLacey 02-08-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
That's me, yep. Though just why I seem to be listed with only those four, pretty sub-par reviews out of the hundreds upon hundreds I've written, I dont know!

Why, that's so we can make fun of your console bias and the fact that you find Serious Sam 2 as good as COD2 ;)...

Oh wait, that was the stupidly titled Big Red One. Ignore me :D.

backdrifter 02-08-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Why, that's so we can make fun of your console bias and the fact that you find Serious Sam 2 as good as COD2 ;)...

Oh wait, that was the stupidly titled Big Red One. Ignore me :D.

Haha, dont worry, COD2 on the PC recieved a MUCH higher score! Same it's such a drop in standard when it moved onto the consoles.

fov 02-08-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Tut tut, fov. I've called the police; they're on their way...

To get me for using pirated software, or to get him for playing LSL with his 10 year old daughter?

To his credit, he covered my eyes at all the naughty parts. And I learned at that young age why one should always use a condom. :crazy:

hengst2404 02-08-2006 05:55 PM

Well sadly just a few short years later I played many portions of LSL 3 at my uncle's place. In their defense, I just as often was unable to answer all of the questions they asked. in fact I missed the "brain four" question. To this day they call me brainfour. :(

Fairygdmther 02-08-2006 10:12 PM

Welcome to all the new staff members. One of the best parts of AG is that you bring in people from all over our small planet, and you effectively use the universality to choose your staff from. It makes for a more balanced approach, and increases acceptance among the members.

Kudos to the new staff and to AG for their excellent choices.

Lynsie

saucyminx 02-09-2006 06:17 AM

Congrats, people. Very happy for all of you.

LauraMac 02-10-2006 06:53 AM

Congrats to all of you. A real plus for AG as well. :)

and nice to see ya back - Mattsie and Kurufinwe*

whoa... they escaped and came back, what - fools great guys! :D