Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Archived Threads (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/13105-archived-threads.html)

rtrooney 02-01-2006 06:13 PM

Archived Threads

Not sure if this is the spot to post the question. But at what point are threads considered redundant, and get "archived"? I'm thinking about any discussion that requires a "last page" designation. There are several on the front page now, including the hardest puzzle thread, that simply seem to take up space.

Think I may have contributed to it twice, myself. But, eventually, shouldn't these move into the genre of "been there, done that" that is at the top of every Section.

fov 02-01-2006 06:19 PM

Hmm... as far as I know, threads don't get archived here. Every thread dating back to the (new) forum's opening in 2003 should be accessible through the forum.

Occasionally we close a thread if it gets very long or is going around in circles, but not as a general rule.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney
But, eventually, shouldn't these move into the genre of "been there, done that" that is at the top of every Section.

I'm not sure what you're referring to... is there an archive link somewhere that I'm not seeing? :confused: (Unless you're talking about this?)

Melanie68 02-01-2006 06:26 PM

Go look at the very bottom of the page when you are in a thread. You'll see:

Contact us
Adventure Gamers
Archive

So I guess we have an archive. :) I haven't looked to see how far back they go and up to what point they stop (time wise).

rtrooney 02-01-2006 06:26 PM

"this" is exactly what I was referring to. :)

fov 02-01-2006 06:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that archive link at the bottom of the page is something vBulletin does automatically.

EDIT: The fact that the post I just made is already in the archives confirms it. :D

tabacco 02-01-2006 06:40 PM

The archive link is just meant to be search engine friendly. It's not in any way a function of moderation, and pretty much isn't anything anyone ever needs to look at unless you're Google.

And Jake's thread is not an archive, it's a summary of info for new people to try and cut down on recurring common threads.

fov 02-01-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
And Jake's thread is not an archive, it's a summary of info for new people to try and cut down on recurring common threads.

Right. (Sorry, I got confused about which "this" we were talking about in my last post. :o)

So to answer the original question, the decision to put certain threads in that list was based on which questions come up often, and on which threads we thought were particularly interesting and make for good reading for someone new to the forum. We might add to it periodically, but it's not really meant as an archive... more like forum highlights.

Dobee 02-02-2006 01:49 AM

so there is no expiry for replying to any old thread unless it's closed?

AFGNCAAP 02-02-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobee

Exactly.

saucyminx 02-03-2006 12:29 AM

Quote:

At one point, I used to be known as the "thread ressurector" because I always go look at topics I thought were interesting and posted a reply... without checking to see how old it was. :D

Intrepid Homoludens 02-03-2006 12:45 AM

:shifty: Yes, I remember that about you.

Dobee 02-03-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mira
At one point, I used to be known as the "thread ressurector" because I always go look at topics I thought were interesting and posted a reply... without checking to see how old it was. :D

is it preferential to create a new thread on the same topic rather than replying to the old threads?? ;)

but it will make people go back and forth this and that threads for the same topic if they need the info...i prefer topics to be consolidated! :frown:

fov 02-03-2006 02:37 PM

No, it's fine to bump up an old thread if you really, really want to respond to it.

Just think before you post. If it's a two year old thread asking for tech support, chances are the person who posted the question doesn't need help anymore.* Or if you're responding to a specific point someone made a year ago, there's chance that person doesn't post here anymore and it might not be worth responding to their point.

*This is kind of a bad example, though, because if you have the same problem someone else did, there's nothing wrong with posting to the old thread and say "I'm having this problem too."

AFGNCAAP 02-03-2006 02:56 PM

Quote:

is it preferential to create a new thread on the same topic rather than replying to the old threads?? ;)

but it will make people go back and forth this and that threads for the same topic if they need the info...i prefer topics to be consolidated! :frown:

There is no universal rule - you have to decide on case-to-case basis, really. Some topics, like the "How old are you?" poll, become out-of-date very quickly, and it makes little sense to drag such thread from the dead after a year or so. On the other hand, there are very specific subjects, most notably hint requests, where it's advisable to do a little research before creating a new one.

Always search the forums for similar topics and make a choice you feel would be more suitable according to what you find. If you really can't make up your mind, it's probably better to start a new thread, as it's way easier for moderators to merge the topics (or to lock one and ask the people to continue in another) than to split them. :)