Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Link from review to thread in forum? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/12921-link-review-thread-forum.html)

tsa 01-21-2006 10:18 PM

Link from review to thread in forum?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a link from all reviews to threads about these reviews in the forum, so people can discuss the review there? Every review should have its own thread in the forum. This would be beneficial to readers as well as the authors of the reviews.

artwking4 01-21-2006 11:08 PM

I like that idea. Same with news items. I don't want to be the one to start a new thread on a piece of news, but if there were already one started, that would be great. Wheee!!!!!

AFGNCAAP 01-22-2006 02:17 AM

This is not an AG official stance, but, personally, I'm not a fan of the idea. To me, it seems like an emotional blackmail of sorts to make people talk about something that may not interest them at all. Everybody is always encouraged to start a discussion themselves (and I wonder, Art, what's so scary in that? :P).

tsa 01-22-2006 02:18 AM

What do you mean by emotional blackmail?

AFGNCAAP 01-22-2006 03:39 AM

Heh. I was exaggerating, of course. :) I mean that topics with 0 replies look a bit, I don't know, pitiful, and I don't like the notion of deeming a subject worth commenting by automatically starting a thread, rather than allowing someone really interested in discussion, be it a staffer or a regular member, to make one. Especially for news items.

tsa 01-22-2006 04:38 AM

I understand what you mean. But still it would be nice to have a link underneath an article, so that people who read it don't have to go looking for comments about it in the forum, don't you think?

Jackal 01-22-2006 08:23 AM

This is another of those ideas that we consider from time to time (lots of those, really). For a variety of reasons, this one just hasn't make the cut. Frankly, it's hard to consider it a priority when starting threads is something we would PREFER that people do themselves. If something's worth saying, it's worth starting a thread about. If it's not, there's not much reason to make it easier to post it. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa
But still it would be nice to have a link underneath an article, so that people who read it don't have to go looking for comments about it in the forum, don't you think?

Forumites are a fairly low percentage of our overall readers. The only people who would go looking for comments are those that cruise the forums anyway. So it's a pretty marginal convenience for a relatively few number of people.

artwking4 01-22-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Everybody is always encouraged to start a discussion themselves (and I wonder, Art, what's so scary in that? :P).

It's terrifying! What if I start a thread and no one replies? And then it will be forever online, as a testament to my own irrelevant conversation starting skills, and people will find the thread one day in the future and say, "LOL!!! Look at this douche bag, no one responded to his post!" And then they tell their friends. And within hours, the whole internet thinks I'm a tool.:frown:

Hehe...:D But seriously. I hate starting threads. I think I've only ever started three or four since I started posting on forums last year.

fov 01-22-2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwking4
Hehe...:D But seriously. I hate starting threads. I think I've only ever started three or four since I started posting on forums last year.

Three.

:D