You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default 80 Days Review

Thanks for the review, Rob. I'm surprised - in a nice way - by how well the game appears to have turned out, and it's a game that I'm pretty sure I'll end up playing .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

The review is making me reconsider getting it. The original demo left me frustrated, with load times and such. The controls were horrible, and the biggest issue for me. If they were more customizeable than they were, I'd probably get it. But they're not, so unless a patch is released that allows for changing what the mouse buttons do as well (I like to use the right mouse button for "forward", and apparently I'd also want to run most of the time instead in this game because the environments are so large), I don't think I'll be trying this one anytime soon. Maybe in the distant future, though.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
The review is making me reconsider getting it. The original demo left me frustrated, with load times and such. The controls were horrible, and the biggest issue for me. If they were more customizeable than they were, I'd probably get it. But they're not, so unless a patch is released that allows for changing what the mouse buttons do as well (I like to use the right mouse button for "forward", and apparently I'd also want to run most of the time instead in this game because the environments are so large), I don't think I'll be trying this one anytime soon. Maybe in the distant future, though.
I posted about the controls of this game somewhere, and somebody told me to use two hands: one on the asdw keys and one on the mouse. Haven't tried it yet but that seems a good solution.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa
I posted about the controls of this game somewhere, and somebody told me to use two hands: one on the asdw keys and one on the mouse. Haven't tried it yet but that seems a good solution.
Yeah, that's how I play games like Splinter Cell and even Call of Duty (although I still bind forward movement to the right mouse button). I tried it on the demo and it's not as though it were impossible. But the fact that there wasn't even a toggle key to make the character always run is a real pain. It's a hastle having to double tap the forward key (the "w" key) to run every time (and I do mean every time because walking around in such a large environment is something that I don't personally have too much patience for ). And sometimes it didn't work because it didn't catch or something because I was too slow or too quick in my double tap. I might give the game a chance when it sells in the budget game section for $10 at Target, though!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa
WASD 1s teh l337n3ss can'7 beli3v3 yu dint no t4ht omgomfgwtfstfu h4v3 yu nevr pl4y3d conterstrike OMGOMG!!11one!!

4Gs suk teres' now gunz wtfwtf?!?!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Banned User

Too bad this game didn't turn out to be better than it was.

Damn, what was the last game that got 4 or more stars? Adventure gaming is dead!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Too bad this game didn't turn out to be better than it was.

Damn, what was the last game that got 4 or more stars? Adventure gaming is dead!
Still Life
Phoenix Wright
Myst V
Another Code
Nancy Drew:Secret of Old Clock
Future Boy
Return to Mysterious Island
The Moment of Silence

Do you want me to continue?

I've played all of these games with the exception of Another Code (Trace Memory) and can vouch for their quality.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
Banned User

Yeah, but they're old. I'm saying there hasn't been anything good lately.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:01 AM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Fahrenheit and Myst V appeared at the tail end of last year. That's not too bad...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Banned User

Who asked you Rlacky?! Eh?! Yeah! That's what I thought. What?! What?!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

There aren't a lot of adventures released, period, so "lately" is kind of relative. Even so, two of our last five new game reviews scored 4 or above. (I'm not doing your homework for you, though.)

As always, though, scores can sometimes be deceiving. With 80 Days, I'll point out that it was really only technical issues that prevented THIS game from scoring higher. It definitely would have scored higher if not for bugs it HAD to be graded down for. That doesn't mean the overall game experience wasn't positive, though. Rob's pretty clear that it was.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
Banned User

Have you guys ever thought about changing your review system? Not that it needs changing mind you...but...ya know!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

Yeah, we've considered having trained monkeys write them, but they're all busy playing action games. What other change did you have in mind?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
Banned User

I dunno. Things like...instead of stars, you use....Murray the skulls? Like...this game gets 3 out of 5 Murrays.

Or maybe a different number? Instead of 5 make it 10 or 100? Ya know, the usual stuff.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
Hopeful skeptic

I knew monkeys would factor in there somewhere! Anyway, there's no plan to change the current system, no. I won't say we don't consider other things, because we do, but no change for the sake of change is planned.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #16
Banned User

I wonder what this site will look like in 5 years.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #17
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I wonder what this site will look like in 5 years.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #18
Banned User

Harsh dude. I love you!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #19
SamNMax

It's true, though.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #20
Hopeful skeptic

More quality contribution from the peanut gallery! What would we do without them.