You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #21
Staff Member

And as for RHEM 2, thanks for the heads up, it looks pants. As in It's Mr. Pants pants.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #22
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Quote:
Can someone tell me how they solve stuff like this?
With careful observation, lots of note-taking, and a bit of intuition to connect the dots?

Yep, that's needed for games like Riven and RHEM, both of which I enjoyed very much. The intricacies and overall connectivity in both games (not to mention the clever/diabolical puzzles!) are absolutely staggering. The original map I tried to draw of RHEM looked hilarious (NOTHING like the "official" map), running off various pages and joined by dozens of arrows!

Despite fovily's great review, I'll still buy RHEM 2... uh, that is, if I can even find the game in my city!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
Can someone tell me how they solve stuff like this?
I don't remember exactly about your spoilers, but Riven is mostly about observation. If you really take your time, and write down anything suspicious, then Riven is doable (hell, I did it). There nothing random about it.
Note: I usually play Myst games with a friend (not always the same friend, mind you). In these games' case, two minds are about twice as efficient, and watching someone play is not as frustrating as with most other games.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:25 AM   #24
Senior *female* member

I have to agree with Colpet and Trunkyo. I played Rhem 2 months ago and loved it more than the first one. Solving these puzzles is soooo satisfying!

But after a puzzle fest in a lonely place I always long for a crowded 3rd-person, dialogue-infested game with loads of useless stuff to pick up.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
I have to agree with Colpet and Trunkyo. I played Rhem 2 months ago and loved it more than the first one. Solving these puzzles is soooo satisfying!
But did you love the first one too? If not, I might be interested in picking the second one up.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #26
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
But did you love the first one too? If not, I might be interested in picking the second one up.
Yeah, I did. But not as much as the second one. The first one was a bit too convoluted for my taste. It's easier to find your way around in Rhem 2. If you didn't enjoy Rhem 1, don't bother with Rhem 2.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Yeah, I did. But not as much as the second one. The first one was a bit too convoluted for my taste. It's easier to find your way around in Rhem 2. If you didn't enjoy Rhem 1, don't bother with Rhem 2.
Okay. That's too bad, because I've taken a liking to this kind of games (Myst, Alida, Schizm)...
Old 01-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #28
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
It's easier to find your way around in Rhem 2.

I haven't played Riven, but I wouldn't classify Rhem 2's puzzles as random. They're extremely logical. It just takes a lot of work to figure out that they're not random.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Rhem 1 is the perfect illustration for the expression "hopelessly lost". I would add that is symbolizes "ugly" pretty well, but that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I haven't played Riven, but I wouldn't classify Rhem 2's puzzles as random. They're extremely logical. It just takes a lot of work to figure out that they're not random.
In Rhem, from what I've seen, the puzzles themselves aren't random, but hey are randomly dispersed all across the... maze.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #30
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
In Rhem, from what I've seen, the puzzles themselves aren't random, but they are randomly dispersed all across the... maze.
That's a good explanation of it. Rhem 2 is like this, also.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #31
Hopeful skeptic

And if the puzzles seem randomly dispersed, how 'bout those clues, huh?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
And if the puzzles seem randomly dispersed, how 'bout those clues, huh?
Exactly.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #33
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

If adventure gaming is a niche market, and Myst-lovers is a portion of that, imagine what a small market there must be for the Rhem lovers, since many Myst-lovers can't deal with this (myself included). I hope for Knut Müller makes enough money to keep going, since his work is very good.

Lynsie
Old 01-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Okay. That's too bad, because I've taken a liking to this kind of games (Myst, Alida, Schizm)...
Have you played games like Comer? Celtica? Secrets of the Luxor?
There's a good list of Myst-like games at JA, compiled by SirDave.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Have you played games like Comer? Celtica? Secrets of the Luxor?
There's a good list of Myst-like games at JA, compiled by SirDave.
Yes, I've seen this list, brielfy.
I haven't played the games you mention, but note that I'm not that fond about Riddle of the Sphinx, which wasn't varied enough for my taste (but not as dull as Rhem, of course).
What I'm looking for are games that allow me to visit new worlds (you know, escapism), and from their names, I'd be wary about Celtica and Luxor, because they sound like other Riddle of the Sphinx. Dunno about Comer, though...
I'm keeping my eyes open for Morpheus, these days, and I wish I could play Amber...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, graphics may be one of the most important thing for me in Myst games. They are the reason why I couldn't get into the original Myst and had trouble getting into Riven and Alida (for those two, I did eventually, and found them beautiful after a while, though). And perhaps that's the main reason why I let go of Rhem that easily.
Rhem 2 or no Rhem 2, that is the question.

Last edited by Ninth; 01-14-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
If adventure gaming is a niche market, and Myst-lovers is a portion of that, imagine what a small market there must be for the Rhem lovers, since many Myst-lovers can't deal with this (myself included). I hope for Knut Müller makes enough money to keep going, since his work is very good.

Lynsie
I saw a guy trying to sell Rhem 2 as similar to Myst and Sentinel and Evany to a girl. "Yes, there all the same", this idiot said.
So with enough stupid salesmen, it might work well.

(just joking, of course)
Old 01-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #37
Senior *female* member

Comer has very beautiful graphics and music. Imo, imo, imo. And I am the wrong person to recommend adventures to someone who didn't like the Myst and Riven graphics.

Morpheus and Amber are easy to come by on gametz.com. Comer is gradually becoming rarish. But it's not much in demand.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Comer has very beautiful graphics and music. Imo, imo, imo. And I am the wrong person to recommend adventures to someone who didn't like the Myst and Riven graphics.
Hm. After getting used to the interface, I did find Riven beautiful.
I'll look for info about Comer.

Quote:
Morpheus and Amber are easy to come by on gametz.com. Comer is gradually becoming rarish. But it's not much in demand.
I can't play Amber, because I have XP. And yes, I'm sure I could find Morpheus, as soon as I resolve myself to finally order online.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #39
Senior *female* member

Quote:
And yes, I'm sure I could find Morpheus, as soon as I resolve myself to finally order online.
I know you don't want to order online, that's the reason I mentioned gametz. Although you can also buy and sell games, it's not called the trading zone for nothing.