Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Homepage Link From Forum (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/12674-homepage-link-forum.html)

rtrooney 01-06-2006 05:36 PM

Homepage Link From Forum

In between User CP and FAQ, you need a link to the home page of AG. If it's there, I don't see it.

tabacco 01-06-2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney
In between User CP and FAQ, you need a link to the home page of AG. If it's there, I don't see it.

You can click the logo at the top to go to the homepage, or any of the links in the reminder bar will take you to the main site.

Dale Baldwin 01-07-2006 01:22 AM

Or there's the 'Adventure Gamers' link at the botom of the page.

rtrooney 01-07-2006 04:06 PM

I may be missing something, but >>any of the links in the reminder bar will take you to the main site.<< doesn't tell me much. I'm not sure what the "reminder bar" is. The bottom of page site option doesn't get me back to main page.

And there is nothing particularly intuitive about clicking on the logo, which requires one to scroll up, rather than down, as a way to get to the main page. I know how it works now, and know how to do it.

But, that said, the home page really should have a Quick Link. That's where people go to find the screenshots and release dates.

Just a thought.

Dale Baldwin 01-07-2006 04:19 PM

Erm, where does the bottom link take you then?

I think by "Reminder bar" Tabacco was talking about all of the links in the "The Latest from Adventure Gamers..." table.

AFGNCAAP 01-07-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

And there is nothing particularly intuitive about clicking on the logo (...) as a way to get to the main page.

"Intuitive" is of course subjective, but a lot of websites have this feature nowadays.

tabacco 01-07-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

I may be missing something, but >>any of the links in the reminder bar will take you to the main site.<< doesn't tell me much. I'm not sure what the "reminder bar" is. The bottom of page site option doesn't get me back to main page.

And there is nothing particularly intuitive about clicking on the logo, which requires one to scroll up, rather than down, as a way to get to the main page. I know how it works now, and know how to do it.

But, that said, the home page really should have a Quick Link. That's where people go to find the screenshots and release dates.

Just a thought.

If it's really that much of a bother to you, you can always make use of your browser's bookmarks/favorites toolbar and add a shortcut there.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-07-2006 06:34 PM

Yeah, that's what I did. Actually AdventureGamers.com community is the very first one on my links bar. When I need to visit the site itself I always click on the logo in the forums.

rtrooney 01-07-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
If it's really that much of a bother to you...

Isn't that the issue. Isn't the ideal to make AG as transparent as possible? If it becomes a bother to anyone, look for solutions rather than workarounds.

I've been in the marketing business since I graduated from college in 1969, and got my MBA in marketing in 1972. Trust me. Telling someone that what they want to do is a "bother" to the powers that be is a sure way to lose a customer.

I hope you are not speaking for the people who have the right to actually speak on this topic.

tabacco 01-07-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Isn't that the issue. Isn't the ideal to make AG as transparent as possible? If it becomes a bother to anyone, look for solutions rather than workarounds.

I've been in the marketing business since I graduated from college in 1969, and got my MBA in marketing in 1972. Trust me. Telling someone that what they want to do is a "bother" to the powers that be is a sure way to lose a customer.

Well, when you become a customer, I'll certainly start paying attention to you. For now, feel free to continue enjoying our site for free.

Quote:

I hope you are not speaking for the people who have the right to actually speak on this topic.

I don't really appreciate your tone, and as far as you're concerned, I'm pretty much the end-all on this topic.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-07-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

:) rtooney, with due respect, please try and understand. tabacco works very, very hard to ensure that Adventure Gamers is the very best site of its kind. Also, he does a huge amount work for Idle Thumbs site and community. So think about: two major gaming sites, two major gaming communities. It takes a lot of time (often hours and hours on end) to tweak things and adjust them to be as efficient and as intuitive as possible for everyone. He does this for free, he is not getting paid for it. He is very busy with school AND with his regular day job. Working at AG is practically a full time job on top of all that and he is incredibly devoted. I'm really in awe of him, and if I had the power I'd give him lots of money and send him off on a long vacation ( ;) along with a crapload of awesome free games).

Everyone here at AG is very dedicated to make sure this site is as good as it gets. We are as professional as we can possibly be. Many of us work full time or are full time students. We take suggestions and criticisms to heart, we really do, and your contributions are deeply appreciated.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-07-2006 07:26 PM

thanks, tabs, and AG staffers, for all your hard work!! you rock!

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/049.gif

Legolas813 01-07-2006 07:57 PM

There is a link at the bottom of the page and a huge one at the top.

Or just get a browser with a links bar where you can put the AG homepage.

I don't see what the problem is.

rtrooney 01-08-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
I don't really appreciate your tone, and as far as you're concerned, I'm pretty much the end-all on this topic.

Well, I can appreciate that. I'm 58 years old. For some, you might say I don't understand what goes on here.

70% of my client base is trade associations; which rely on volunteer activity to sustain their existence. All take umbrage when I make a suggestion to improve operations. It doesn't matter if the improvement might be worthwhile. If I'm volunteering my time to make this happen, I'll do it the way I want.

Sorry you felt offended in that way.

But, even if you have created the best way of doing things, one must always search for a better way.

I asked for a toolbar link to the AG home page. The conversation has gone far beyond that.

RLacey 01-09-2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

I asked for a toolbar link to the AG home page. The conversation has gone far beyond that.

Surely, as someone in the marketing business, you must understand the difference between asking for something and, having told us that we need something (arguably incorrectly), telling us that the system we use - that almost every decent forum I've ever been on uses - is unintuitive and categorically the wrong way to deal with the issue. The latter is what I see in this thread, while the former is notably absent.

Now, one could argue that this is all an issue of semantics, but from where I'm standing - and I have no say in the matter anyway, so don't take this answer as anything official - there's certainly a problem with the tone of your "asking", and that's what gets people riled...

stepurhan 01-17-2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

We're adventuie gamers. We're expected to thnk laterally and click on everything. (Hmmm. This logo seems to be a hotspot. I wonder what it does :D )

Speaking personally I've always found the logo intuitive plus there does seem to be a link at the bottom that points to the main page. Normally I don't use it though because instinctively I go the other way. I'd browse articles on the main site and then head into the forums. If something on the main site is mentioned in the forums someone usually posts a direct link to the specific article. the only reason I'd go the other way was if I was on th efoums and suddenly remembered I hadn't checked out the main site in a while.

Second the appreciation of the staff here. Always happy to be here and have such a good here to come to.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-17-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan
Second the appreciation of the staff here. Always happy to be here and have such a good here to come to.

Good.

* hands stepsie a beer and shoves a huge soft pretzel in his mouth *

Jeysie 01-17-2006 01:11 PM

Mmm. Addressing the sole question of the homepage link and ignoring the rest... (since I don't feel like getting stung by the hornet's nest, as it were...)

While one could debate whether or not having a website's logo be the homepage link is user-friendly from an objective human interaction POV, from a standard web practice POV, having a website's logo as a homepage link with no separate text link is extremely common, and has been for some time. Therefore, while I can understand requesting a separate text link (since not everyone spends ungodly amounts of time surfing the web learning its quirks), I personally wouldn't find Tabacco negligent for assuming it's unnecessary on what is essentially a hobby site.

Peace & Luv, Liz