You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default Deja Vu review

Thanks to Kim for bringing us this look back at the past.

I played Deja Vu on my friend's Mac classic when we were in 4th grade. We played together over several afternoons and ended up solving it without any help. I have great memories of that game. (Although it always seemed a little wrong to me that you won the game by

Spoiler:
destroying some of the evidence.

I got Deja Vu 2 years later when we got our own Mac, but never got much farther than the first few screens.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I never played the original, but do still have the sequel's disks knocking about. Fun, but insanely impossible .

Nice review. Stirred memories .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #3

I had the first Deja Vu (Along with Uninvited by the same company) for my old Apple IIgs. I used to play those two games all the time, so when the GBC version of Deja Vu first came out, I picked it right up.

The review was pretty spot on, and makes me want to go get the game and play it again.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #4

Glad you liked the review. I too love the first game, the second game really annoyed me in places though.

I agree with you Emily about the winning the game point. You have to do a similar thing in the second game as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
Elegantly copy+pasted

Yeah, good review. It's worth keeping in mind that the first game came out around the same time as King's Quest I. It's a very, very early graphic adventure, the first point-and-click adventure (to my knowledge), and one of the first -- if not the first -- first-person graphic adventures. A classic game by any standard.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I remember playing this on the Game Boy Colour, dont know if there was any difference between that version and the original versions
Old 12-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Yeah, good review. It's worth keeping in mind that the first game came out around the same time as King's Quest I. It's a very, very early graphic adventure, the first point-and-click adventure (to my knowledge), and one of the first -- if not the first -- first-person graphic adventures. A classic game by any standard.
According to MobyGames, the first Apple ][ version was from 85!
I remember being amazed not by the mouse support, but by the possibility to resize/arrange the windows. Which was in fact a bad idea, in retrospect
And yes this was probably the first 1st graphic adventure game without a text parser
Old 12-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I remember playing this on the Game Boy Colour, dont know if there was any difference between that version and the original versions
The originals were not in color. At least, not the Mac version. I don't know about on the Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
According to MobyGames, the first Apple ][ version was from 85!
That would have been around when I played it. Sometime between 85 and 89.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #9
Elegantly copy+pasted

Right, King's Quest came out in 1984, and Deja Vu in 1985. They were close contemporaries. The interface seems to have been very inspired by the Mac GUI, which is interesting if you're trying to trace adventure game innovations (very few were actually invented for adventure games originally).

I think the DOS version had CGA colors (cyan, magenta, white, black). However, the biggest difference between the original game and the version for the Game Boy Color is of course that the Game Boy doesn't have mouse support...
Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
I think the DOS version had CGA colors (cyan, magenta, white, black).
Quite possibly. My copy of the sequel, meanwhile, had both EGA and VGA versions in the box.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.