You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Hype-o-Meter update 12/18

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Hype-o-Meter update 12/18

It's that time again, my friends. Everyone arm themselves with the nearest available rotten fruit or vegetable, and hurl it at your monitor with flaming invectives the second our Hype-o-Meter fails to match your own.*

Not a lot of changes this time around, but with 80 Days now having released after a few slipped dates, we had an opening dangling like a carrot before the likes of Al Emmo, Aquarica, the DaVinci Experience, the newly-announced Simon the Sorcerer 4, and 236 (more or less) different Eastern European games, among others. (Note: we're not sure why these games were so attracted to a carrot.)

So which challenger was ready to step forth to claim the prize of hype? We'll get to that, but first things first: list tweakage.

#1 and #2: Dreamfall and Paradise. No movement here. Love 'em or hate 'em (or anything in between), they're far and away the biggest draws on the adventure scene. The more you argue, the more you justify their positions. (Oooh, the dreaded catch-22 of no recourse! Killer.)

#3 and #4: Ankh and Broken Sword 4. What's in a name? Apparently not the #3 slot anymore, as BS4 takes a slight tumble off the medal podium. We're still completely enthused about the next installment, but the sugar high off the announcement has worn off, and now we'd actually like to see some details. Claiming bronze in this update is the come-out-of-nowhere (okay, Germany, but close enough) comic adventure set in ancient Egypt. The early reviews out of nowhere Germany are glowing, and we've liked everything we've seen so far. The game even won an award for the top game in Germany over the likes of... well, other games! But presumably good ones!! If you're not sold yet, be sure to check out our recent interview with the game's project leader. Lucas who? Remember the name Deck 13!

#5 - #7: Runaway 2, Keepsake, Scratches. Moving one slot up. Blatant opportunists, all of them!! But deservedly so, as each has released trailers and/or demos in recent weeks that really show off their promise. From the wacky to the fantastic to the nail-biting, there promises to be something for everyone out of this troika.

#8: Secret Files: Tunguska. With its stunning screenshots (yes, we're shallow like that) and trailer on the publisher's site, and even an interactive website as a holiday treat, Secret Files is starting to make its presence felt as it hurtles towards a spring release like a meteor over Siberia. For that it warrants a jump two spots up.

#9: Bone: The Great Cow Race. And here it is - the coveted #9 spot (well, coveted by those not above it, anyway). The second episode of Bone may not be a unanimous choice among gamers, we know. No doubt some will argue against including any episodic adventures, let alone a download-only, let further alone one whose first offering was as short as its main character. So is this just more AG fanboyism? No. Lucas who? What impresses us is how Telltale is responding to feedback on Out from Boneville, and their commitment to getting it right the next time around, as evidenced in this interview. Our faith in the series has been rekindled, and we're excited about bigger and better things to come. To anyone who disagrees, all I can say is "STUPID STUPID NAYSAYERS!!" (I am so dead if people don't get this reference. )

#10: Tony Tough: A Rake's Progress. Tony's release date slipped a little, as did its place from #9. We're still anxious to visit Tony's stylized desert hometown, but with the game so close to release, we'd really love to get a glimpse of at least a trailer to see the game in action.

So there you have it. Either you agree, or you can't read this because you have smushed tomatoes oozing down your screen. So I'll assume we're all on the same page. This list is rock solid, unmovable, permanent, and unwavering... at least until we change our minds or the wind shifts direction.

Also, yes, once again Sam & Max is not on the list, though it's clearly inching closer to being an actual project underway. In the meantime, everyone repeat after me: Lucas who?

* Disclaimer for the conceptually challenged : This will, in fact, be extraordinarily stupid. I'm not REALLY in your monitor.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
Dungeon Master

Nice work. Now, let me be the first to rant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
#5 - #7: Runaway 2, Keepsake, Scratches. Moving one slot up. Blatant opportunists, all of them!! But deservedly so, as each has released trailers and/or demos in recent weeks that really show off their promise. From the wacky to the fantastic to the nail-biting, there promises to be something for everyone out of this troika.
The position of Keepsake should go down, not up, if judged by the released demo. Runaway 2: Dream of the Puzzles (that make sense) should have never been on the HoM in the first place, but oh well.
Quote:
To anyone who disagrees, all I can say is "STUPID STUPID NAYSAYERS!!" (I am so dead if people don't get this reference. )
If people do get this reference, however, they'll know you called them rat creatures...

Doesn't the sheer number of "236 different Eastern European games" warrant them a spot, even a collective one? I won't argue about Pathologic this time, but surely the effort of Step Creative group deserves some recognition? Is it lack of news about English-language version that keeps them out of the list?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

As soon as I saw who responded, I prepared myself to refuse Pathologic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
The position of Keepsake should go down, not up, if judged by the released demo.
Well, it only went up because of a vacancy above it. Really those games stayed in the order they were in and inherited the improvement. What the German demo did was create more desire to see an English one (which is hype. )

Quote:
Doesn't the sheer number of "236 different Eastern European games" warrant them a spot, even a collective one? I won't argue about Pathologic this time, but surely the effort of Step Creative group deserves some recognition? Is it lack of news about English-language version that keeps them out of the list?
Giving a "collective" nod hardly seems fair to every other game that has to stand on its own, does it? But yes, once we actually see and hear more about the games, the hype will come.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Giving a "collective" nod hardly seems fair to every other game that has to stand on its own, does it?
That "collective" part might have been a joke.

As for Pathologic, seeing as the last "new news" I've seen about it are September-old (not counting "We don't know when the game gets released" announcements), I'm slowly losing my hope for any version other than Russian.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 AM   #5

No Simon 4???? This news had me jumping around like a little rabbit, and I'm (kind of ) sure I'm not the only one...

Oh well.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Easily amused

Sorry not to see Aura 2 Sacred Rings on the list. I'm also hyped about Darkstar (a new FMV game).
But, glad to see Scratches moving up!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:40 AM   #7
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
Sorry not to see Aura 2 Sacred Rings on the list.

Problem is - For a game that is supposed to be out already or about to be released.

There has been next to no hype/promotion on that game.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:08 AM   #8
Super Moderator

8 new screenshots were recently added to its screenshot gallery though.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 AM   #9
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
8 new screenshots were recently added to its screenshot gallery though.

This you trying to hype it up.

To little to late
Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

Aura 2's screens earned it some extra consideration this time around, but buried among them was a release date that has slipped to summer '06. Its time may/will come. Just not yet.

Ninth, Simon 4 was seriously considered, believe me. I'm personally very enthused about it, particularly since they're going the route of 3D-but-with-classic gameplay. But I saw a lot of "wait and see" response to the announcement after the (for many people) debacle that was Simon 3D. And while having Mike Woodroffe is nice, having Simon Woodroffe would have been better. But Simon 4 will almost certainly have a place on the list before too long. Just not this time. (I know some people think this reasoning should apply to BS4, but Broken Sword is simply more popular, and the pedigree stronger.)
Old 12-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Ninth, Simon 4 was seriously considered, believe me. I'm personally very enthused about it, particularly since they're going the route of 3D-but-with-classic gameplay. But I saw a lot of "wait and see" response to the announcement after the (for many people) debacle that was Simon 3D. And while having Mike Woodroffe is nice, having Simon Woodroffe would have been better. But Simon 4 will almost certainly have a place on the list before too long. Just not this time. (I know some people think this reasoning should apply to BS4, but Broken Sword is simply more popular, and the pedigree stronger.)
I was half joking (I'm thrilled myself, but I don't expect other people to be), but thanks.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #12
Explorer of the uncharted

Am I the only one who has Scratchers at the top of my list?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #13
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Ninth, Simon 4 was seriously considered, believe me. I'm personally very enthused about it, particularly since they're going the route of 3D-but-with-classic gameplay.
Does that mean its gonna be full 3D but point'n'click or direct control?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 AM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

3D with p&c is the early indication.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
3D with p&c is the early indication.
Dam, I was hoping they would try to perfect the direct control
Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #16
Lazi

um, one question: is keepsake a RPG/adventure ? saw somewhere describes it as

Game: Keepsake (PC)
Release Date: February 2006
Keepsake is an RPG that takes place in the Dragonvale Academy school of magic.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

According to the developers it's an adventure, not an RPG. From AG's Keepsake preview:

Quote:
Some of Keepsake's influences include Final Fantasy, Baldur's Gate, and Quest for Glory (and let's not forget Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter). There has even been mention of a magic system in the game. Still, Bordeleau assures us that Keepsake is 100% adventure. (Just in case you were worried, he also tells us that no animals have been harmed during development, and that all Imps working on the title are fed low fat, organic food!) With such a foundation in traditional RPG elements, why did Wicked choose to make Keepsake an adventure game? Bordeleau says his team, having already worked on RPGs, was ready to try something new.

Don't worry—classic adventure titles have been cited as influences as well, including King's Quest, Syberia, and Myst. "Being adventure gamers ourselves," Bordeleau says, "we just followed our instinct on what would make a really cool adventure game." Considering how much they've already given us to look forward to, this new team just may pull it off.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #18
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
um, one question: is keepsake a RPG/adventure ? saw somewhere describes it as

Game: Keepsake (PC)
Release Date: February 2006
Keepsake is an RPG that takes place in the Dragonvale Academy school of magic.
Some websites, even "professional" ones, often treat game genres surprisingly loosely. I don't know how they could take Keepsake for an RPG.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Some websites, even "professional" ones, often treat game genres surprisingly loosely. I don't know how they could take Keepsake for an RPG.
Aren't all fantasy games RPGs?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #20
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcroManiac
Am I the only one who has Scratchers at the top of my list?
You´re not the only one, i played the demo and LOVED it.